Help with proton moving through magnetic field.

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a problem involving an equation (F = qVxB) given at the end of class. The problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the initial magnetic force on a moving proton and the magnitude of its acceleration. The student shares their attempt at a solution and a diagram, but was unsure of how to proceed. Another person responds by explaining the correct equation to use and how to correctly apply it to the given diagram.
jhcollaz

Homework Statement

I need help with a problem I was just given an equation (F =q VxB )at the end of class and expected to solve a problem but I am not sure what to do.
A proton is moving at speed 5x106m/s in the magnetic field of magnitude 6x10-2 T indicated in the diagram. a) find the magnitude and direction of the initial magnetic force on the proton. b)what is the magnitude of the acceleration of the proton?
The diagram and work are in the work below. I was not sure what to do so i looked through the book and found another equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/l9NBN

Physics news on Phys.org
B is the strength of the magnetic field, which you are given. Not sure why you did the working that you did, it doesn't make any sense lol.

Your equation enables you to calculate the force = Bqv BUT this equation is used when B and v are at right angles. For your diagram you need the component of B at right angles to v.
So your equation should have BSinθ instead of B.
I hope that you can follow this!

1. How does a proton move through a magnetic field?

A proton will move through a magnetic field due to the interaction between its positive charge and the magnetic field's magnetic field lines. This interaction causes the proton to experience a force, known as the Lorentz force, which causes it to curve and move through the magnetic field.

2. Why does a proton move through a magnetic field?

A proton moves through a magnetic field due to the Lorentz force, which is caused by the interaction between the proton's positive charge and the magnetic field's magnetic field lines. This force causes the proton to experience a change in direction, resulting in its movement through the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the movement of a proton through a magnetic field?

The movement of a proton through a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the proton, and the angle at which the proton enters the magnetic field. Additionally, the mass and charge of the proton also play a role in its movement through the magnetic field.

4. How can we control the movement of a proton through a magnetic field?

The movement of a proton through a magnetic field can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the proton, and the angle at which it enters the magnetic field. Additionally, by manipulating the mass and charge of the proton, we can also influence its movement through the magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding proton movement through a magnetic field?

Understanding how a proton moves through a magnetic field has many practical applications, including in medical imaging, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of electromagnetism and the behavior of charged particles in various environments.