2nd Bachelors at top school vs Masters at not so top

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for pursuing a Master's degree in Industrial Engineering (MSIE) with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. The speaker has been accepted into a top 10 BSIE program at NC State and is also considering pursuing the MSIE program at their current school. They are wondering which option would be better for their future in terms of educational foundation, time investment, and hireability. It is also mentioned that it is possible to switch focus within the MSIE program. The concept of what is considered "better" is subjective and may vary from person to person.
USN2ENG
Quick question:

I am currently in a ABET accredited non ranked BSIE program (NC A&T) getting a 2nd bachelors (1st was in psychology from UNC). My school has expressed that since I have a psych degree I can go into the Human Factors MSIE program. And once in, if I want, I can change my focus (say to OR).

Also,

I was recently accepted into a top 10 BSIE Program at NC State.

I will have 2 years left either way and I was wondering which is the better option for a future. Is it better to have a no name MS without a relevant BS, or to have the top 10 BS?

Also, is switching once in the MS normal, or something like a loophole?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "better"...more salary post-graduation? on applications to pursue a ph.d.? your own personal satisfaction that you accomplished something?

What's "better" for one person isn't necessarily better for someone else.

Thanks for the reply,

By better I mean both a better educational foundation, and a better use of my time on the path to becoming an Industrial engineer. Also, on a resume, and hireability.

Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between a 2nd Bachelors at a top school and a Masters at a not so top school?

The main difference between a 2nd Bachelors at a top school and a Masters at a not so top school is the level of education and depth of knowledge acquired. A 2nd Bachelors degree is an undergraduate degree that typically takes 4 years to complete, while a Masters degree is a graduate degree that takes 1-2 years to complete. Additionally, a top school is usually more prestigious and has higher academic standards, providing a more rigorous education compared to a not so top school.

2. Which option would be better for my career prospects?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and field of study. A 2nd Bachelors degree may be beneficial if you are looking to switch careers or gain more knowledge in a specific field. On the other hand, a Masters degree is more specialized and can make you a more competitive candidate for certain job positions. It is important to research the job market and industry requirements to determine which option would be better for your career prospects.

3. Will completing a 2nd Bachelors at a top school be more expensive than a Masters at a not so top school?

In general, a 2nd Bachelors degree at a top school may be more expensive than a Masters degree at a not so top school. However, this can vary depending on the specific schools and programs. It is important to consider the cost of tuition, living expenses, and potential financial aid options when making this decision.

4. Can I transfer credits from my 2nd Bachelors to a Masters program?

It is possible to transfer credits from a 2nd Bachelors degree to a Masters program, but it ultimately depends on the specific schools and programs. Some schools may have restrictions on which credits can be transferred, and you may need to meet certain requirements to transfer credits. It is important to check with the schools you are considering to see if credit transfer is an option.

5. Which option will take longer to complete?

A 2nd Bachelors degree at a top school will typically take longer to complete compared to a Masters degree at a not so top school. As mentioned earlier, a 2nd Bachelors degree is an undergraduate degree that takes 4 years to complete, while a Masters degree takes 1-2 years. However, if you already have a Bachelors degree, you may be able to complete a 2nd Bachelors in a shorter amount of time by transferring credits or taking accelerated courses.