Deflection in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath

In summary, the attached question is testing to see if you know if the additional load acts at 0.5m or 1.0m. The UDL of the beam is 30kN/m and the arm has a rigid load underneath. By resolving the forces into a free body diagram and drawing a shear force diagram and a bending moment diagram, you can find the maximum deflection of the beam.
cjh200
The attached question shows a simply supported beam with a UDL of 30kN/m and has a rigid arm underneath with a load. This question was a research one but unfortunately I have had no luck.

I thought that this could be solved by doing moments for the arm but am unsure on whether that would work for this question. If anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is testing to see if you know if the additional load acts at 0.5m or 1.0m.

Have you drawn a free body diagram of the beam yet? That would be my starting point.

Firstly, resolve the UDL into a point force, acting equidistant between the points where the UDL is applied. force on the arm will create a moment where the arm is attached to the rigid beam, which is approximate to the force applied on the arm multiplied by the horizontal length of the arm. Once you have resolved the forces into a free body diagram, you can then draw a shear force diagram and a bending moment diagram.

That's about as far as I can get you right now off the top of my head. Conceptually, shear force and bending moment diagrams should help, as the maximum deflection should occur where the shear force is at its greatest (can someone check me on that please?). by doing a piecewise analysis of the shear force diagram you could easily find its horizontal distance (x), and being a uniformly distributed load, the shear force diagram will act linearly.

I'm guessing that that E=4*10^6 is some kind of young's modulus or something? Is there more to this question that is missing?

Thanks for the fast response. The 4*10^-6 was E*I (youngs modulus*Inertia) and your response that.kid reconfirmed my idea of using moments to figure out the deflection. Once again thanks

I would like to clarify that the term "deflection" in this context refers to the bending or displacement of the beam under the applied load. The rigid arm underneath may act as a support or additional load on the beam.

To solve this problem, you can use the principles of mechanics and structural analysis. First, calculate the reactions at the supports of the simply supported beam using the equation for static equilibrium. Then, use the equations for beam bending to determine the deflection at any point along the beam.

For the rigid arm underneath, you can consider it as a separate beam and analyze it using the same principles. The load on the arm will contribute to the total load on the beam and affect the deflection accordingly.

It is also important to consider the material properties of the beam, such as its Young's modulus and moment of inertia, in order to accurately determine the deflection.

In summary, the key steps to solving this problem would be to calculate the reactions at the supports, analyze the beam bending, and consider the effect of the rigid arm. If you are still having trouble, I suggest consulting with a structural engineer for further assistance.

1. What is deflection in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath?

Deflection refers to the amount of bending or displacement that occurs in a beam when a load is applied to it. In a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath, the beam is supported on both ends and has a rigid arm or support underneath it, which helps to distribute the load and prevent excessive bending.

2. How is deflection calculated in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath?

The deflection of a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath can be calculated using the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory, which takes into account the material properties, geometry of the beam, and the applied load. The formula for deflection in this case is: δ = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where w is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

3. What factors can affect the deflection in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath?

The deflection in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath can be affected by a number of factors, including the material properties of the beam, the type and amount of load applied, the length and shape of the beam, and the position of the rigid arm or support.

4. How can deflection be minimized in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath?

To minimize deflection in a simply supported beam with a rigid arm underneath, the material properties of the beam can be optimized to increase its stiffness, the load can be distributed evenly along the beam, and the length of the beam can be shortened. Additionally, using a stiffer or stronger material for the rigid arm or support can also help to reduce deflection.

5. What are some real-world applications of deflection in simply supported beams with rigid arms underneath?

Deflection in simply supported beams with rigid arms underneath is a common phenomenon in structural engineering and is used in various applications such as bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important to consider deflection when designing machines, vehicles, and other mechanical systems to ensure their stability and performance.