3 year research vs. 2 year pure coursework MS

In summary, the current plan is to do pure coursework and take the comprehensive final in 2 years. If I were to get a PHD, it'll be in physical chemistry or materials science.
chill_factor
I'm currently doing a MS in physics. The way I'm progressing, it looks to me that I'd probably have to take 3 years to finish the thesis. This is because I'm having to take extra classes since I didn't have a critical 1 year class (E and M) during undergrad; I didn't major in physics. I'll be behind a year on a critical required class which is going to delay my research.

However, I want to get over with the masters as quickly as possible and have no plans to continue up to a PHD in physics. If I were to get a PHD, it'll be in physical chemistry or materials science.

So I'm thinking of just doing pure coursework, taking the comprehensive final and getting it over with in 2 years. I could also do research as an elective, but just not write a thesis, so there's no time pressure. This doesn't affect my funding which is through TA work. I did 1 year of undergrad research on polymers in chemical engineering.

Would doing a coursework/test only MS be worth it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say it only matters when you are applying for your first job. If it is technical they will prefer the research master's. Once you have a job no one is ever going to care. How much it matters for that first job depends on the job so it's hard to say.

carlgrace said:
I would say it only matters when you are applying for your first job. If it is technical they will prefer the research master's. Once you have a job no one is ever going to care. How much it matters for that first job depends on the job so it's hard to say.

Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

What about PHD applications for non-physics, but related, departments? I know it would have *some* impact, but how much? Would the ad-com for say the Materials Science and Engineering department, or the Chemistry department, believe that doing the coursework masters means that you're an unproven liability in terms of research skills, and would have significant motivation to pass you in favor of someone that did a research masters, in physics or any other related field? I know that undergrad research is not so meaningful once you have your masters, but how big of an issue is this?

chill_factor said:
Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

What about PHD applications for non-physics, but related, departments? I know it would have *some* impact, but how much? Would the ad-com for say the Materials Science and Engineering department, or the Chemistry department, believe that doing the coursework masters means that you're an unproven liability in terms of research skills, and would have significant motivation to pass you in favor of someone that did a research masters, in physics or any other related field? I know that undergrad research is not so meaningful once you have your masters, but how big of an issue is this?

That's really hard to say, but I guess it would depend on the specific admissions committee. Certainly a research project under your belt would strengthen your application (particularly if you can relate it to why you want to attend this particular department). Is that extra bump on your application worth another year of study? I'm not sure anyone can answer that. Perhaps you can try contacting a couple of the schools you're interested in for the Ph.D. and ask them?

carlgrace said:
That's really hard to say, but I guess it would depend on the specific admissions committee. Certainly a research project under your belt would strengthen your application (particularly if you can relate it to why you want to attend this particular department). Is that extra bump on your application worth another year of study? I'm not sure anyone can answer that. Perhaps you can try contacting a couple of the schools you're interested in for the Ph.D. and ask them?

I appreciate your feedback. I will write to the departments and make a decision by the deadline to choose thesis/coursework.

1. What is the main difference between a 3 year research MS and a 2 year pure coursework MS?

The main difference between a 3 year research MS and a 2 year pure coursework MS is the focus of the program. A 3 year research MS typically involves conducting original research under the guidance of a faculty advisor, while a 2 year pure coursework MS focuses on completing coursework in a specific field of study.

2. Which MS program is better for career advancement?

This depends on your career goals and field of study. If you plan on pursuing a career in research or academia, a 3 year research MS may be more beneficial as it provides hands-on research experience. However, if you are looking to enter the workforce immediately after graduation, a 2 year pure coursework MS may be a better fit as it allows you to gain specialized knowledge and skills in your field.

3. Will a 3 year research MS take longer to complete than a 2 year pure coursework MS?

Yes, a 3 year research MS typically takes longer to complete as it involves conducting original research and writing a thesis. However, the extra time may be worth it for those interested in pursuing a career in research or academia.

4. Are there any differences in admissions requirements for these two MS programs?

Admissions requirements may vary between universities, but in general, both programs typically require a bachelor's degree in a related field and a strong academic background. Some universities may require GRE scores for a 3 year research MS, while others may not require them for a 2 year pure coursework MS.

5. Which MS program is more expensive?

The cost of these two MS programs can vary depending on the university and location. In general, a 3 year research MS may be more expensive due to the additional time and resources required for conducting research. However, there may be funding opportunities available for research MS students, which can help offset the cost.