Expressing Spherical coordinates in terms of cylindrical

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to express spherical coordinates in terms of cylindrical and vice versa. The solution involves equations for converting between the two coordinate systems, with the suggestion to use arctan instead of arcsin for one of the conversions.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

I'm trying to express spherical coordinates in terms of cylindrical and vice versa. I would appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback on my attempt at a solution. Thanks for the help!

The Attempt at a Solution

Spherical(cylindrical)

r=(ρ^2+z^2)^(1/2)
θ=arcsin(ρ/(ρ^2+z^2)^(1/2))
ψ=ψ

Cylindrical(Spherical)

ρ=rsinθ
z=rcosθ
ψ=ψ

Physics news on Phys.org
armolinasf said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to express spherical coordinates in terms of cylindrical and vice versa. I would appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback on my attempt at a solution. Thanks for the help!

The Attempt at a Solution

Spherical(cylindrical)

r=(ρ^2+z^2)^(1/2)
θ=arcsin(ρ/(ρ^2+z^2)^(1/2))
ψ=ψ

Cylindrical(Spherical)

ρ=rsinθ
z=rcosθ
ψ=ψ

What you've done is already correct. What more are you asking? Incidentally, you might want to use θ=arctan(ρ/z) instead of θ=arcsin(ρ/(ρ^2+z^2)^(1/2)), but that is a matter of taste.

1. What are spherical coordinates and how do they differ from cylindrical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system used to locate points in three-dimensional space. They differ from cylindrical coordinates in that they use two angles and a distance from the origin to specify a point, whereas cylindrical coordinates use an angle, a distance from the origin, and a height above the xy-plane.

2. How do you convert spherical coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), you can use the following equations:

r = ρ * sin(φ)

z = ρ * cos(φ)

3. Can you express cylindrical coordinates in terms of spherical coordinates?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) can be expressed in terms of spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ) using the following equations:

ρ = √(r² + z²)

φ = tan⁻¹(z/r)

4. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates over cylindrical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are particularly useful when working with physical systems that exhibit spherical symmetry, such as planets or stars. They also make it easier to describe and visualize points in three-dimensional space that are located at a certain distance and direction from the origin.

5. How are spherical coordinates used in real-world applications?

Spherical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering to describe the position of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in navigation systems, such as GPS, to determine the location of an object in relation to the Earth's surface.