Fluids, flow velocity and flow rate.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of flow rate and flow velocity for water flowing from a container through a 50mm diameter hole at a rate of 36 liters per minute. The flow rate is calculated to be 0.6 L/s and the flow velocity is found to be 0.306 m/s.
Sum'Random

Homework Statement

Water is flowing from a container through a 50mm diameter hole at 36 liters a minute. Calculate the flow rate in L/s and the flow velocity through the hole.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

flow rate all i did was 36L/60s to get 0.6 L/s
flow velocity is where i am stuck.
Is it flow rate / Pi x r^2
So 0.6 / 0.00196 = 305.6 ms-1

missed a few classes due to illness typical most my assignment that is due was covered in them days i miss. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Sum'Random. Welcome to PF.

You have the right idea.

Sum'Random said:
Is it flow rate / Pi x r^2
So 0.6 / 0.00196 = 305.6 ms-1

Watch those units. This is not the correct answer.

ohh i see what i missed, Thank you

0.6 / Pi x(0.025)^2
= 305.6
305.6/1000
=0.306 ms

What is a fluid?

A fluid is any substance that can flow and take the shape of its container. This includes liquids and gases.

How is flow velocity measured?

Flow velocity is typically measured using a flow meter, which calculates the speed of a fluid passing through a specific point in a given amount of time.

What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the volume of fluid that passes through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in liters per second or cubic meters per hour.

What factors affect flow velocity?

The viscosity (thickness) of the fluid, the size and shape of the container, and the pressure of the fluid all affect flow velocity. In general, thicker fluids and smaller containers will result in slower flow velocities.

How can flow rate be increased?

To increase flow rate, the velocity of the fluid must be increased. This can be achieved by decreasing the viscosity of the fluid, increasing the pressure, or changing the size or shape of the container to allow for a larger volume of fluid to flow through.