Becoming a Physics teacher - degree path

In summary, a BA in astronomy, even with a few astrophysics courses, may not look as good to future employers as a physics BS. But if you are looking to teach high school physics or general science, a BA in astronomy is fine. And if you are looking to teach Earth Science, a Master's degree in Science Education may be advantageous.
skwissgaar
Hello!

I'm not sure if this was the right subforum to ask this question, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Currently, I'm a student at a California CC looking to transfer to a CSU here. I'm majoring in physics and have knocked out all my lower division classes and will be graduating on time with a degree in hopefully physics. However, I'm not majoring in physics to be on the forefront of scientific research or developing breaking edge technology; I'm doing it because I want to teach. High school specifically, it's what my family does.

I have a few questions to the educators or anyone with general knowledge in the field of science education. First, the school I'm looking to transfer to offers a degree in astronomy, at its core is a physics based curriculum. I'm interested in earning a BA in astronomy and minor in physics and geology (for personal preference). However, my worry is when I apply for a teaching job in the near future, will having a BA in astronomy, even though it is physics based with even a few astrophysics courses in the program, hinder my resume?

The more and more I read about teachers in physics and general science nowadays, it seems that a good handful all have their BS's in physics or engineering. Will a BA not look good to future employers at the high school level? My backup plan for my safety schools are to obtain a BA in physics and at one a BS in physics education.

TL;DR

Will an astronomy BA/physics and geology minor not look as good as a physics BS to teach high school physics/general science?

Science news on Phys.org
Astronomy is fine. And with geology, that should actually qualify you to teach Earth Science as well.

But you need to look into state requirements. Most states require you to take a certain number of education courses to become certified to teach. Most schools will not hire you unless you are a certified teacher. Some private schools might, but these days they also prefer certified teachers.

Your best bet is to talk to someone in the education department at the school you are transfering to.

Likes CalcNerd
Thank you for the reply superdave.

I live in CA and have no plans of ever leaving the states since I love it here. I do plan on obtaining my single subject teaching credential in science to teach at the high school level and also have aspirations to earn a Master's degree in Science Education. With a Master's degree in Science Education, do potential employable school see this as a strength as well accompanying a Bachelor's degree in a science?

I highly recommend you seek an Earth Science certification. And maybe Math, since I'm sure you've taken quite a few math courses. You might only need to take two really easy algebra/geometry courses to get the necessary credits to teach Math.

While you want to teach physics, most schools only have 1 physics teacher, if that. Some schools have dropped physics altogether because it isn't required. So jobs are scarce. Schools like to see that you are flexible and can teach other subjects if needed.

A M.S. in Science Ed. would certainly be advantageous.

Another track I recommend is to contact principals at local high schools and let them know you are considering a career in education ask them what they look for when hiring a science teacher. A lot of principals love being asked things like that for some reason.

Likes CalcNerd

Hello there! It's great to hear that you are interested in becoming a physics teacher. Teaching is a highly rewarding profession, and we definitely need more passionate and dedicated educators in the field of science education.

To answer your question, having a BA in astronomy with a minor in physics and geology should not hinder your resume when applying for a teaching job. While a BS in physics or engineering may seem like the more traditional path for a physics teacher, having a BA in astronomy can also demonstrate your strong understanding and interest in the subject. Additionally, having a minor in physics and geology shows that you have a well-rounded knowledge of the sciences, which can be beneficial for teaching a variety of science subjects in high school.

In fact, many schools offer degrees in science education that specifically focus on preparing students to become teachers, so your backup plan of obtaining a BS in physics education is also a great option. Ultimately, what matters most is your passion for teaching and your ability to effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to your students. So don't worry too much about the specific degree title, as long as you are getting a solid education in physics and other relevant subjects. Best of luck on your journey to becoming a physics teacher!

What is the degree path for becoming a Physics teacher?

The degree path for becoming a Physics teacher typically involves obtaining a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, followed by a teaching certification program. Some schools may also require a Master's degree in Education or a teaching subject.

Is a degree in Physics required to become a Physics teacher?

While a degree in Physics is not always required, it is highly recommended. A strong understanding of Physics concepts is necessary for effectively teaching the subject. However, some schools may offer alternative certification programs for individuals with a degree in a related field.

Are there any specific courses or electives that are recommended for aspiring Physics teachers?

Yes, courses in education, pedagogy, and instructional technology can be beneficial for aspiring Physics teachers. Additionally, taking advanced courses in Physics, such as quantum mechanics or astrophysics, can also strengthen one's understanding of the subject.

Are there any additional requirements for becoming a Physics teacher, besides a degree?

Yes, in addition to a degree and teaching certification, some states may require teachers to pass a subject-specific exam, such as the Praxis Physics test, and complete a certain number of hours of student teaching. Additionally, a background check and proof of citizenship or legal residency may be required.

Can I teach Physics at different levels, such as middle school or high school, with the same degree?

Yes, a degree in Physics can qualify you to teach at various levels, including middle school, high school, and even community college. However, some schools may have additional requirements for teaching at the higher levels, such as a Master's degree or specific teaching certifications.