Fundamental Shift and Scaling of Signals

In summary: In the first case, you are replacing t by (t+2)/4, and in the second case, you are replacing t by (t/4)+(2/4) which is also equivalent to (t+2)/4. Therefore, both expressions would result in the same function.
Hip2dagame

Homework Statement

I'm confused on whether or not two functions would be equivalent or not. Let's say x(t) is a triangle with height 1, width 1. The hypotenuse of it is the function t (with a slope of 1). I'm told that x((t+2) / 4) then is making it 4 times as wide and left-shifting the back, pointy end (just to help you visualize what the signal looks like, lol) by 2. What, then, is x((t/4) + 2)? It can't be exactly the same thing! Also, if we split up the first function into x((t/4) + (2/4)), would those be equivalent? I'm so confused...

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Given Above

Physics news on Phys.org
Hip2dagame said:
I'm confused on whether or not two functions would be equivalent or not. Let's say x(t) is a triangle with height 1, width 1. The hypotenuse of it is the function t (with a slope of 1). I'm told that x((t+2) / 4) then is making it 4 times as wide and left-shifting the back, pointy end (just to help you visualize what the signal looks like, lol) by 2. What, then, is x((t/4) + 2)? It can't be exactly the same thing! Also, if we split up the first function into x((t/4) + (2/4)), would those be equivalent? I'm so confused...

Start with:

x(t) = (t), 0<=t<=1

When you make a variable substitution like this one:

x((t+2)/4)

always keep in mind you are replacing the 't' in the original x(t) by the whole expression:

x((t+2)/4) = ((t+2)/4)

I placed brackets around the t in the original expression to make sure the (t+2)/4 correctly replaces the t.

We can get to the same expression by following these steps:

(i) x(t) = t

(ii) x(t/4) = t/4 = y(t)

(iii) y(t+2) = (t+2)/4

This means we start with x(t), the triangle, then fatten the function in (ii) then left shift by two units in (iii)This is *not* the same as x((t/4) + 2)

We get this one by following these steps:

(i) x(t) = t

(ii) x(t+2) = t+2 = y(t)

(iii) y(t/4) = t/4 + 2

This means we start with x(t), the triangle, then we left shift by two units in (ii) and then fatten that by four in (iii)Notice the change in order here means we have two different functions!How do I know what order to do these things? In the end I need to replace the 't' in the x(t) function with the final expression.

Eg:

With x(t/4+2) I have to find a sequence that will replace t one operation at a time and result in an equivalent replacement of t by 't/4+2'

start with (t)
replace t by (t+2) --> (t+2)
replace t by (t/4) --> (t/4+2)

check -- that's what I wanted.

I can't do this:

start with (t)
replace t by (t/4) --> t/4
replace t by (t+2) --> (t+2)/4 = t/4 + 0.5

not the same!

Hip2dagame said:
I'm told that x((t+2) / 4)
Also, if we split up the first function into x((t/4) + (2/4)), would those be equivalent? I'm so confused...

Yes it would. In both cases you would be replacing the 't's in x(t) by an equivalent expression.

1. What is the fundamental shift and scaling of signals?

The fundamental shift and scaling of signals refers to changes in the characteristics of a signal, such as its frequency, amplitude, and phase. These changes can be caused by various factors such as noise, interference, or intentional modulation.

2. How is the fundamental shift and scaling of signals measured?

The fundamental shift and scaling of signals can be measured using various techniques, such as spectral analysis, time-domain analysis, and frequency-domain analysis. These methods involve analyzing the signal's characteristics to determine any changes in its fundamental properties.

3. What are the applications of understanding fundamental shift and scaling of signals?

Understanding fundamental shift and scaling of signals is crucial in many fields, including telecommunications, electronics, and signal processing. It allows for accurate analysis and manipulation of signals for various applications, such as improving communication systems, reducing interference, and enhancing image and sound quality.

4. Can fundamental shift and scaling of signals be controlled?

Yes, fundamental shift and scaling of signals can be controlled through various techniques, such as filtering, modulation, and equalization. These methods allow for the manipulation of the signal's properties to achieve the desired outcome.

5. How can fundamental shift and scaling of signals affect data transmission?

The fundamental shift and scaling of signals can significantly impact data transmission. Changes in the signal's characteristics can cause errors and loss of data during transmission, leading to a decrease in the quality and reliability of the communication. Understanding and controlling these changes is crucial for efficient data transmission.