Find magnetic field strength and maximum force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force using the equation Force = Current * Length * Field Strength * sin(theta). It also mentions finding the maximum force by making the wire perpendicular to the magnetic field. The correct answer is .044 T or 44mT and the maximum force is determined by using the full length of the wire as totally perpendicular to the magnetic field.
warnexus

Homework Statement

magneticfield_zpse9666f81.jpg

Homework Equations

Force = Current * Length * Field Strength * sin(theta)

(Force/ Length)/(Current * sin theta) = Field Strength

The Attempt at a Solution

(.28 N/m)/ (14 A * sin 27 degree) = .044 T or 44mT

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'try again' image seems to indicate the answer you entered was 4, not 44.

haruspex said:
The 'try again' image seems to indicate the answer you entered was 4, not 44.

thanks. apparently I did not see the milli Tesla and when I rounded my answer it threw my answer off . how do I go about finding a maximum force? how do I know if the force I got is actually maximum?

Maximum force possible is when wire is perpendicular to magnetic field. sin90 = 1, biggest possible. sin (other angles) will result in a smaller answer.

So maximum force is BIL (B-magnetic field strength, I-current, L-length [full length as totally perpendicular]) B is your previous answer.

Last edited:
Thanks! I understand now!

1. How do you find the magnetic field strength?

To find the magnetic field strength, you can use the equation B = F / (I * L), where B is the magnetic field strength in teslas (T), F is the maximum force in newtons (N), I is the current in amperes (A), and L is the length of the wire in meters (m).

2. What is the maximum force that can be exerted by a magnetic field?

The maximum force that can be exerted by a magnetic field is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the current flowing through the wire. It can be calculated using the equation F = B * (I * L), where F is the maximum force in newtons (N), B is the magnetic field strength in teslas (T), I is the current in amperes (A), and L is the length of the wire in meters (m).

3. How do you measure the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength can be measured using a tool called a magnetometer. This device uses a magnetized needle or other mechanism to indicate the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a certain point.

4. Can the magnetic field strength and maximum force be altered?

Yes, the magnetic field strength and maximum force can be altered by changing the current flowing through the wire or by using different materials for the wire or magnet. Altering the length or shape of the wire can also affect these values.

5. How is the maximum force affected by the distance between the wire and the magnet?

The maximum force is inversely proportional to the distance between the wire and the magnet. This means that as the distance increases, the maximum force decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law and can be calculated using the equation F = B * (I * L) / d^2, where d is the distance between the wire and the magnet in meters (m).