How to dissolve a copper nail completely ? important

In summary, the conversation is about dissolving a copper nail completely and the suggested reactant is sulphuric acid. It is mentioned that the chemical equation for the reaction can be used to determine the amount of acid needed, taking into account factors that affect reaction rates.
jamjoom90
i need to dissolve a copper nail completely what chemical can do that and how much time is enough to form the reaction , i thought about sulphuric acid as a reactant but i don;t know if it dissolve it completely or partially !

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sulphuric Acid should do it all right...

Cu + 2H2SO4 → CuSO4 + 2H2O + SO2
...use the chemical equation for the reaction to work out how much acid you'd need.
You'll want to factor in the kinds of things you know will affect reaction rates.

If this is a class question - it is likely about reactivity of copper.

How can I dissolve a copper nail completely?

To dissolve a copper nail completely, you will need an acid or a strong base. Acids, such as hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid, can dissolve copper by reacting with it. Bases, such as sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide, can also dissolve copper through a process called saponification.

What are the safety precautions I should take when dissolving a copper nail?

When working with strong acids or bases, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. These chemicals can cause severe burns if they come into contact with your skin. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.

What is the best acid or base to use for dissolving a copper nail?

The best acid or base to use will depend on the amount of copper you need to dissolve and the resources available to you. However, hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide are commonly used and can be found in most hardware or chemical supply stores.

How long does it take for a copper nail to dissolve?

The time it takes for a copper nail to dissolve will depend on the strength of the acid or base being used, as well as the size and thickness of the nail. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours for a copper nail to completely dissolve.

What should I do with the leftover solution after the copper nail has dissolved?

The leftover solution will contain dissolved copper, which can be hazardous to the environment. It is important to properly dispose of the solution according to local regulations. You can contact your local waste management facility for instructions on how to dispose of the solution safely.