Help with intro circuit analysis problem Thevenin and max power prob

In summary: You are not given numerical values for io or Vx. You are being asked to find i1 and i2 in terms of io and Vx. You are not being asked to substitute in numbers and solve. You are asked to find the equations that describe the relationships among the variables. I believe you are overthinking this problem and making it more complicated than it needs to be.
nchin
Problem #1:

What i did so far was I source transformed the left side with the Io and 4Ω into a voltage of 4Io. Then i did mesh analysis, io and i2.

the eq'ns i got are
4vx - 2I2 - 2Io = 0
10i2 - vx - 2io = 0

IM not sure if this is right but does i2 = vx/4?? because of I = V/R?

I worked everything out and I got confused.
7vx/4 = io
Vx(10/4 - 14/4) = vx

i need help please! (see attached pic)

Attachments

• circuit18.JPG
    circuit18.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nchin said:
Problem #1:

What i did so far was I source transformed the left side with the Io and 4Ω into a voltage of 4Io. Then i did mesh analysis, io and i2.

the eq'ns i got are
4vx - 2I2 - 2Io = 0
10i2 - vx - 2io = 0

IM not sure if this is right but does i2 = vx/4?? because of I = V/R?

I worked everything out and I got confused.
7vx/4 = io
Vx(10/4 - 14/4) = vx

i need help please! (see attached pic)

Please follow the posting template.

Your loop equations do not appear to be correct; why is there an Io term in both? Can you show your work detailing how you arrived at them?

gneill said:
Please follow the posting template.

Your loop equations do not appear to be correct; why is there an Io term in both? Can you show your work detailing how you arrived at them?

i used two mesh loops. instead of i1, i used io. so the two loops are io and i2.

so after that the mesh equations would be,

For the io loop:
-4Io + 4Vx + 2(Io-I2) = 0

For the i2 loop:
-Vx + 2(I2-Io) + 2I2 + 6I2 = 0

after simplifying I get:
4Vx - 2I2 - 2Io = 0
10i2 - Vx - 2io = 0

and on the i2 loop there is a voltage drop of Vx across the 4Ω resistor so i2 = Vx/4 ??

Am i correct?

nchin said:
i used two mesh loops. instead of i1, i used io. so the two loops are io and i2.

so after that the mesh equations would be,

For the io loop:
-4Io + 4Vx + 2(Io-I2) = 0

For the i2 loop:
-Vx + 2(I2-Io) + 2I2 + 6I2 = 0

after simplifying I get:
4Vx - 2I2 - 2Io = 0
10i2 - Vx - 2io = 0

and on the i2 loop there is a voltage drop of Vx across the 4Ω resistor so i2 = Vx/4 ??

Am i correct?

Io is a fixed source, and after the Thevenin equivalent conversion, it becomes a fixed voltage source of magnitude 4Io. So it is NOT a mesh current. You should choose another variable name for the mesh current in the first loop.

Yes, Vx is related to the current in the second loop. Be sure to take note of the direction of the potential drop caused by that mesh current when you write the expression for Vx; Vx's potential is 'measured' in a particular way as designated by the "+ -" designation.

gneill said:
Io is a fixed source, and after the Thevenin equivalent conversion, it becomes a fixed voltage source of magnitude 4Io. So it is NOT a mesh current. You should choose another variable name for the mesh current in the first loop.

Yes, Vx is related to the current in the second loop. Be sure to take note of the direction of the potential drop caused by that mesh current when you write the expression for Vx; Vx's potential is 'measured' in a particular way as designated by the "+ -" designation.

if i use another variable name then i would have 4 unknowns and and only 2 equations, io, i1, i2 and Vx? How would i solve that?

nchin said:
if i use another variable name then i would have 4 unknowns and and only 2 equations, io, i1, i2 and Vx? How would i solve that?

In this context io is a given value (granted, it's not numerical value, but it is a constant in this context). i1 and i2 are the unknown mesh currents, and Vx is strictly dependent on i2. So only the two mesh currents are unknowns.

I'm not sure where you're going with this particular analysis. Sure, you can determine the Thevenin voltage (as a function of io) by multiplying the mesh current i2 by the 6Ω resistor in the second loop, but you won't have the Thevenin resistance. How were you planning to find that?

gneill said:
In this context io is a given value (granted, it's not numerical value, but it is a constant in this context). i1 and i2 are the unknown mesh currents, and Vx is strictly dependent on i2. So only the two mesh currents are unknowns.
so would this be correct now using the mesh variables as i1 & i2?

For the i1 loop:
-4Io + 4Vx + 2(I1-I2) = 0

for i2:
-Vx + 2(I2-I1) + 2I2 + 6I2 = 0

so how would we find a numerical value of i1 and i2 if io and Vx are not a numerical value?

I'm not sure where you're going with this particular analysis. Sure, you can determine the Thevenin voltage (as a function of io) by multiplying the mesh current i2 by the 6Ω resistor in the second loop, but you won't have the Thevenin resistance. How were you planning to find that?

I assume i simplify the resistors? like for example, the 2Ω parallel with 6Ω + 4Ω...? some thing like that?

nchin said:
so would this be correct now using the mesh variables as i1 & i2?

For the i1 loop:

for i2:
-Vx + 2(I2-I1) + 2I2 + 6I2 = 0
They look okay. Note that your Vx really is a voltage drop across a real resistor in loop two.
It can be treated as just another resistor in loop two. And you can substitute the appropriate voltage drop for Vx in loop one. Thus the "variable" Vx disappears.
so how would we find a numerical value of i1 and i2 if io and Vx are not a numerical value?
Vx disappears as described above; it's just a voltage drop measured across a resistor, and that voltage drop depends upon the mesh current i2 flowing through a fixed value resistor.

You DON'T find a numerical value for the currents. You find expressions for them in terms of the value of Io. The loop currents depend upon the output of the current source Io. Remember, Io is something you're going to be solving for later for a given power dissipated by RL.
I assume i simplify the resistors? like for example, the 2Ω parallel with 6Ω + 4Ω...? some thing like that?
That works when you have only independent sources in the circuit. Here there's the dependent source 4Vx. You need to find another method to find the Thevenin resistance of the circuit. What methods have you been taught?

gneill said:
They look okay. Note that your Vx really is a voltage drop across a real resistor in loop two.
It can be treated as just another resistor in loop two. And you can substitute the appropriate voltage drop for Vx in loop one. Thus the "variable" Vx disappears.

I see. so i can just substitute everywhere with Vx with I2/4?

That works when you have only independent sources in the circuit. Here there's the dependent source 4Vx. You need to find another method to find the Thevenin resistance of the circuit. What methods have you been taught?

Hmm looking over my notes I see a way to solve the Rth is Dividing the open circuit voltage with the short circuit current?

RTH = VOC/ISC?

nchin said:
I see. so i can just substitute everywhere with Vx with I2/4?
Yes, sort of, if you meant I2*4, but BE SURE TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE SIGNS. Vx is NOT +4I2. Note the direction of i2 and the resulting polarity of the potential drop across the 4Ω resistor. Note also the indicated polarity for measuring Vx. Are they the same?
Hmm looking over my notes I see a way to solve the Rth is Dividing the open circuit voltage with the short circuit current?

RTH = VOC/ISC?

Yes, that's one way. It's quite a bit of work though. If I may make a suggestion, why not leave RL in the circuit, adding another (but very simple) mesh. If you solve for the voltage across RL by finding the current in its mesh, you'll have an expression from which you can easily pick out both the Thevenin voltage and the Thevenin resistance. You'll also have an expression for the current through RL which you can use to determine the power dissipated... Three birds with one stone, to paraphrase an old saying.

gneill said:
Yes, sort of, if you meant I2*4, but BE SURE TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE SIGNS. Vx is NOT +4I2. Note the direction of i2 and the resulting polarity of the potential drop across the 4Ω resistor. Note also the indicated polarity for measuring Vx. Are they the same?

i see. so then it would be, for the i2 loop:

-(-4I2) + 2(I2 - I1) + 2I2 + 6I2 = 0 ?

since the mesh loop goes through the neg side first

nchin said:
i see. so then it would be, for the i2 loop:

-(-4I2) + 2(I2 - I1) + 2I2 + 6I2 = 0 ?

since the mesh loop goes through the neg side first

Yes. Of course, the 4Ω resistor is just a 4Ω resistor in its loop. Vx is just a measurement taken there; Vx has no effect at all on that loop, since it is only a measurement.

gneill said:
Yes, that's one way. It's quite a bit of work though. If I may make a suggestion, why not leave RL in the circuit, adding another (but very simple) mesh. If you solve for the voltage across RL by finding the current in its mesh, you'll have an expression from which you can easily pick out both the Thevenin voltage and the Thevenin resistance. You'll also have an expression for the current through RL which you can use to determine the power dissipated... Three birds with one stone, to paraphrase an old saying.

i really don't know what to do with these equations. So i leave RL in there so now i have three mesh eq'ns.

After simplifying the mesh eq'ns i have:

I1:
-4Io - 18I2 + 2I1 = 0

I2:
14I2 - 2I1 = 0

I3:
6I3 - 6I2 + RLI3 = 0

what can i do now?

nchin said:
i really don't know what to do with these equations. So i leave RL in there so now i have three mesh eq'ns.

After simplifying the mesh eq'ns i have:

I1:
-4Io - 18I2 + 2I1 = 0

I2:
14I2 - 2I1 = 0

I3:
6I3 - 6I2 + RLI3 = 0

what can i do now?

Check your equation for mesh 1; in particular the coefficient for the i1 term. In the second equation there should be a term for [/SUB]I3. The third mesh equation looks fine.

Now you want to solve for an expression for i3. Hint: if you set up the equations in matrix form and use Cramer's Rule, you can solve for i3 without having to deal with the other two...

gneill said:
Check your equation for mesh 1; in particular the coefficient for the i1 term. In the second equation there should be a term for [/SUB]I3. The third mesh equation looks fine.

im not sure what's wrong with mesh 1?

i checked it and i got:
-4Io + 4(-4I2) + 2(I1-I2) = 0
-4Io - 16I2 + 2(I1-I2) = 0
-4Io - 18I2 + 2I1 = 0
??

my mistake i did forget the I3.
i now have
14I2 - 2I1 - 6I3 = 0

Last edited:
nchin said:
im not sure what's wrong with mesh 1?

i checked it and i got:
-4Io + 4(-4I2) + 2(I1-I2) = 0
-4Io - 16I2 + 2(I1-I2) = 0
-4Io - 18I2 + 2I1 = 0
??
What happened to the 4Ω resistor in loop 1? Here's the circuit we're dealing with:

attachment.php?attachmentid=56807&stc=1&d=1363488732.gif

my mistake i did forget the I3.
No worries, these things happen.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 657
gneill said:
What happened to the 4Ω resistor in loop 1? Here's the circuit we're dealing with:

attachment.php?attachmentid=56807&stc=1&d=1363488732.gif

Ah you're right! I forgot about that as well.

so for mesh 1 i have
-4Io + 6I1 - 18I2 = 0

gneill said:
Now you want to solve for an expression for i3. Hint: if you set up the equations in matrix form and use Cramer's Rule, you can solve for i3 without having to deal with the other two...

So i can solve i3 just from using mesh 3 equation alone?

6I3 - 6I2 + RLI3 = 0

i understand how to do 2x2 or 3x3 cramer rule but how would i do 1x1 with cramer?

nchin said:
So i can solve i3 just from using mesh 3 equation alone?

6I3 - 6I2 + RLI3 = 0

i understand how to do 2x2 or 3x3 cramer rule but how would i do 1x1 with cramer?

No, set up the 3x3 impedance matrix and the voltage vector as usual, then solve for i3.

gneill said:
No, set up the 3x3 impedance matrix and the voltage vector as usual, then solve for i3.

Will I get a numerical value for I3?

gneill said:

Im confused becasue I don't have the usual variables for cramers.

my equations are

6I1 - 18I2 - 4Io = 0
-2I1 + 14I2 - 6I3 = 0
-6I2 + RLI3 + 6I3 = 0

im confused because i have an Io, and RL variable

nchin said:
Will I get a numerical value for I3?

No, you'll get an expression for I3 in terms of RL and Io. That expression will allow you to pick out the Thevenin voltage and resistance. With the Thevenin resistance you known the value of RL that will maximize the power delivered to RL.

gneill said:
No, you'll get an expression for I3 in terms of RL and Io. That expression will allow you to pick out the Thevenin voltage and resistance. With the Thevenin resistance you known the value of RL that will maximize the power delivered to RL.

I am not sure how to continue because I've never done an impedance matrix before. I've only done regular cramers rule with only variables of i1, i2, i3. I've never encountered this situation before. what do i do?

Last edited:
nchin said:
I am not sure how to continue because I've never done an impedance matrix before

The nomenclature isn't important. Just set up your equations in matrix form. You have three equations with three current variables.

gneill said:
The nomenclature isn't important. Just set up your equations in matrix form. You have three equations with three current variables.

6I1 - 18I2 - 4Io = 0
-2I1 + 14I2 - 6I3 = 0
-6I2 + RLI3 + 6I3 = 0

For values of i1 we have 6, -2, 0
i2: -18, 14, -6
i3: 0, -6, 6

I1 I2 I3
6 -18 0 4Io
-2 14 -6 0
0 -6 6 0

??

nchin said:
6I1 - 18I2 - 4Io = 0
-2I1 + 14I2 - 6I3 = 0
-6I2 + RLI3 + 6I3 = 0 <---- RL is in the third equation

For values of i1 we have 6, -2, 0
i2: -18, 14, -6
i3: 0, -6, 6

I1 I2 I3
6 -18 0 4Io
-2 14 -6 0
0 -6 6 0

??
What happened to RL in the third equation? The I3 coefficient is (6 + RL), right?

You're solving for I3 in terms of Io and RL.

gneill said:
What happened to RL in the third equation? The I3 coefficient is (6 + RL), right?

You're solving for I3 in terms of Io and RL.

is this right, so the final answer is suppose to be variables and not numerical values?

Attachments

• matrix.jpg
    matrix.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
nchin said:
is this right, so the final answer is suppose to be variables and not numerical values?

It looks like the entries -2 and -18 have there places swapped. Surely the -18 should correspond to the coefficient of i2 in the first loop.

Yes, the result for i3 should be an expression involving variables Io and RL.

gneill said:
It looks like the entries -2 and -18 have there places swapped. Surely the -18 should correspond to the coefficient of i2 in the first loop.

Yes, the result for i3 should be an expression involving variables Io and RL.

is the final answer for the entire problem suppose to be an expression? not just the result of i3

The problem asks for the value of resistance for RL that maximizes the power dissipated by RL, and it asks for the value of Io that results in 54W being dissipated by that RL. So, two numerical values. They will be found AFTER you've got the expression for i3.

gneill said:

When we solve for i3 we will have two unknown variables in it right? Rl and Io

nchin said:
When we solve for i3 we will have two unknown variables in it right? Rl and Io

Yes. But we have the advantage of knowing something about RL and its relationship to Rth for maximum power transfer, regardless of the value of Io. As I stated previously, we can pick out Rth and Vth from the result of finding the expression for i3*RL.

What is the Thevenin theorem and how does it relate to circuit analysis?

The Thevenin theorem states that any linear electrical network containing voltage and current sources can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single resistor. This allows for easier analysis of complex circuits by simplifying them into simpler circuits.

How do I find the Thevenin equivalent circuit for a given circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to follow these steps:

1. Remove the load resistor from the original circuit.
  2. Calculate the open-circuit voltage at the load terminals.
  3. Calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit when all voltage and current sources are removed.
  4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit with the open-circuit voltage as the voltage source and the equivalent resistance as the load resistor.

What is maximum power transfer and how is it calculated?

Maximum power transfer is the condition when the load resistor receives the maximum amount of power from the circuit. It is calculated by finding the load resistor value that results in the maximum power dissipation, which is equal to half of the Thevenin resistance.

What are the key assumptions made in Thevenin's theorem?

The key assumptions made in Thevenin's theorem are:

• The circuit is linear, meaning that the voltage-current relationship follows Ohm's law.
  • The circuit is time-invariant, meaning that the circuit parameters do not change over time.
  • The circuit is bilateral, meaning that the circuit behaves the same regardless of the direction of current flow.

Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. In non-linear circuits, the voltage-current relationship does not follow Ohm's law, making it impossible to find an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and resistor.