Need QFT Book or Online Course?

In summary, Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework that combines principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. A book or online course on QFT can provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning this complex subject and may require a strong understanding of quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical mechanics. When choosing a resource, consider your learning style and seek recommendations from others. While a background in physics is not necessary, it can be helpful to have a strong foundation in basic concepts and seek additional support from a tutor or mentor.
LarryS
Gold Member
I'm looking for a book on QFT that is both introductory and somewhat rigorous. I have Zee's book but for me it is kind of hard to follow. I would prefer something that is more like a textbook introduction to the subject - not necessarily covering the whole subject but logically rigorous for what it does cover. Can anybody recommend such a book?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Srednicki. The prepublication draft is freely available.

1. What is QFT?

Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to provide a comprehensive understanding of how particles interact with each other.

2. Why do I need a book or online course on QFT?

QFT is a complex and highly mathematical subject, and a book or online course can provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning it. It can also help you understand the underlying concepts and equations, as well as provide practice problems to strengthen your understanding.

3. What are the prerequisites for learning QFT?

A strong understanding of quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical mechanics is essential for learning QFT. Some familiarity with linear algebra, group theory, and differential equations may also be helpful.

4. How can I choose the best book or online course for learning QFT?

There are many resources available for learning QFT, so it's important to consider your own learning style and level of understanding when choosing a book or course. It may also be helpful to read reviews and recommendations from others who have successfully learned QFT.

5. Can I learn QFT without a background in physics?

It is possible to learn QFT without a formal background in physics, but it may require more effort and time. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic physics concepts before delving into QFT, as it builds upon these principles. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or mentor who can provide additional support and clarification.