Quantum Mechanics 100 year anniversary

In summary, this article discusses the history and development of quantum mechanics, which has been a fundamental theory in physics for the past 88 years. It explains the key contributions of scientists such as Heisenberg and Bohr, and highlights the differences between the "old quantum theory" and the "modern quantum mechanics". The article is written for a general audience, making it easily understandable for those with a basic understanding of science.
Clayjay
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/351277/description/When_the_atom_went_quantum

It has been 50 years since I was taught or introduced to QM at the end of my EE degree. This article gives the best understandable history describing QM I can remember. It is written for someone informed in science but not an expert.

I found it refreshing as perhaps others here would also

Physics news on Phys.org
Cosmology? Looks like quantum physics to me - moved.

I understand your thinking to move this from cosmology to this location. Cosmology includes QM explanations and my interest is keeping up with cosmology so I posted there. I thought it was useful to cosmological discourse. I stand corrected - thanks

Quantum theory is a bit younger, namely about 88 years old. It has been found (for the case of the harmonic oscillator) by Heisenberg in the summer of 1925, when he was recovering from an attack of hay fever on Helgoland.

What we celebrate this year is the Bohr-Sommerfeld model of the socalled "old quantum theory", which was immediately outdated with the advent of "modern quantum mechanics".

What is Quantum Mechanics and why is its 100 year anniversary significant?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Its 100 year anniversary is significant because it marks the beginning of a new era in physics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries and technologies.

Who discovered Quantum Mechanics and when?

Quantum Mechanics was discovered by a group of physicists including Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, and Werner Heisenberg in the early 20th century. Planck first proposed the idea in 1900, but it was not fully developed until the 1920s.

What are some key principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Some key principles of Quantum Mechanics include the wave-particle duality of matter, the uncertainty principle, and the concept of superposition. It also introduced the idea of quantum entanglement and the probabilistic nature of the universe.

How has Quantum Mechanics impacted the world?

Quantum Mechanics has had a significant impact on the world, especially in the fields of technology and science. It has led to the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It has also revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to the creation of new theories and models.

What are some current research and advancements in Quantum Mechanics?

Current research and advancements in Quantum Mechanics include the exploration of quantum computers and quantum cryptography, the development of new materials and technologies based on quantum principles, and ongoing studies on the nature of quantum entanglement and the behavior of matter at a very small scale.