Magnetic Resonant Imaging Mechanics

In summary: Although, they will rotate (or spin) in response to electromagnetic fields.In summary, MRI machines use strong magnetic fields to impart a spin to hydrogen atoms in the body, which then release energy when the magnetic field is stopped. This energy takes the form of electromagnetic radiation, and can be used to distinguish different types of tissue in the body. The spin is quantum mechanical and not physical, and it is mainly the hydrogen atoms in molecules that are affected by the magnetic field. The water molecules in the body, being polar, are also affected by the magnetic field and contribute to the released energy.
stevmg
MRIs are used in medicine for diagnostic imaging. I am told it has something to do with protons. But in the human body protons don't exist, only occasional hydronium ions (H3O+. ) I am told that a strong magnetic field imparts a "spin" to the protons (I don't know if this in a quantum mechanics sense, which I don't understand, or an actual physical sense, in which the proton actually turns around and around.) When the magnetic field is stopped, the protons stop spinning in the given direction and revert to their random directions and energy is released.
1) What form does this released energy take? Is it electromagnetic radiation like X-rays or the like?
2) is it just hydrogen (hydronium) ions that are affected the magnetic field or is it hydrogen atom nuclei (also a "proton") in fixed compounds that are a likewise affected with an imparted "spin"
3) Since water is a polar molecule with a "negative" end and a "positive" end (although totally neutral) and water comprises seventy percent of mammalian bodies by weight, could it be that this is in fact the "spin" that is imparted to these H2O molecules from the very strong magnetic field an MRI machine delivers which releases "energy" when the magnetic field is released?

Please help me out!

Stephen M. Garramone, M.D.
stevmg@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
1) You are correct. The released energy is electromagnetic radiation. The frequency of the radiation depends on the strength of the static magnetic field in the MRI as well as the duration of the pulsed magnetic field. In case you don't know what these two things are, here is a youtube video of a quick description of MRI mechanics. I honestly don't know what the standards in the industry are so I don't know the frequency range of the released radiation in a standard MRI machine. That would be interesting to find out.

2) It is mostly the hydrogen atoms in molecules that are affected. This is found in water, in proteins, etc. So, different types of tissue can be distinguished because of different hydrogen content. Actually one wonderful family of materials with which to do MRI is hydrocarbons because they are so dense in hydrogen. When I was an undergrad, we did MRI on glycerin and other hydrocarbons. We submerged small structures made of wood, which had very little hydrogen, and were able to image these structures as the regions which responded minimally to the applied magnetic fields.

3) The spin is quantum mechanical spin, not physical spin or angular momentum. The molecules themselves are not rotating as a result of the applied magnetic fields.

Likes 1 person

1. What is Magnetic Resonant Imaging Mechanics (MRIM)?

Magnetic Resonant Imaging Mechanics, also known as Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), is a medical imaging technique that uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to create detailed images of organs and tissues inside the body. It is commonly used to diagnose and monitor a variety of health conditions.

2. How does MRIM work?

MRIM works by using a powerful magnet to align the hydrogen atoms in the body's tissues. Radio waves are then sent through the body, causing these atoms to emit signals. These signals are then processed by a computer to create detailed images of the body's structures and organs.

3. Is MRIM safe?

Yes, MRIM is generally considered safe for most people. Unlike other imaging techniques that use ionizing radiation, such as X-rays, MRIM uses non-ionizing radiation. However, it is important to inform your doctor if you have any metal implants or devices in your body, as they can be affected by the strong magnetic field.

4. What are the benefits of MRIM?

MRIM provides highly detailed images of the body's structures and organs, making it a valuable tool for diagnosing a wide range of health conditions. It is non-invasive, painless, and does not use radiation, making it a safe option for many patients. It can also be used to monitor the progress of treatments and surgeries.

5. Are there any risks associated with MRIM?

In general, there are very few risks associated with MRIM. However, some people may experience claustrophobia or anxiety while inside the MRI machine. There is also a small risk of allergic reaction to the contrast dye used in some MRIs. It is important to discuss any concerns or potential risks with your doctor before undergoing an MRI.