The meaning of double slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the double slit experiment and its implications for understanding physics at a quantum level. The experiment showed that the behavior of particles can change depending on whether or not they are being observed. There are various interpretations of this phenomenon, such as the Copenhagen interpretation which suggests that the act of observation itself affects the outcome. The conversation also touches on the idea of entanglement and the difficulty of isolating objects from their environment in order to observe their quantum behavior. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the limitations and complexities of understanding the quantum world and the ongoing debates and controversies surrounding it.
RickBman
The meaning of double slit experiment...

As i understand the outcome of the double slit experiment is firstly the Photons of light that were fired have no true location and seem to jump about and interact with themselfs. So my question to that is, have they tried anything bigger than a Photon? Would/can something of a greater mass leap/jump and interact with itself? Whats to say anything or anyone could suddenly leap jump shift or whatever to anywhere else in the universe??

My next question about this experiment is...as i gather the photons acted differently when they were monitered going the the slits. So the simple act of trying to record and witness physics at this level can determine the way in which it acts? So I am just wondering, what's really going on? what's happens when were not observing anything? To me i found myself asking the age old question...Does a falling tree really make a sound if no one is there to here it...or infact is it there at all? May sound silly but does anyone get what I am trying to say here?

Does anyone have any further infomation or views on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
RickBman said:
So the simple act of trying to record and witness physics at this level can determine the way in which it acts?
It is more than that. If the "physics at this level" can be recorded and/or witnessed, then this is the way it acts. Or better, if this is the way it acts, the physics can be recorded. If it acts in other way, then it can't be recorded. It doesnot matter weather you see the meter/reading or not (nature behaves as she should and it doesn't depend on you or me seeing the reading etc).

Of course there is a well developed theory (on solid mathematics) known as Quantum Mechanics.

RickBman said:
So I am just wondering, what's really going on? what's happens when were not observing anything?
To be frank no one knows (AFAIK). Hence the interpretation problem of Quantum Mechanics.
RickBman said:
To me i found myself asking the age old question...Does a falling tree really make a sound if no one is there to here it...or infact is it there at all? May sound silly but does anyone get what I am trying to say here?
Well in this case if you apply the logic I stated, you will see that the production of sound doesnot depend on the presence of someone. Nature behaves as she should, and hence the sound is made because on collision the vibrations are produced in air :)

Last edited:
RickBman said:
So my question to that is, have they tried anything bigger than a Photon? Would/can something of a greater mass leap/jump and interact with itself? Whats to say anything or anyone could suddenly leap jump shift or whatever to anywhere else in the universe??

Yea they have - do a search on Buckyballs. In more recent times however its become obvious since everything is quantum something must be responsible for the world of everyday experience which most definitely does NOT behave that way. What we now know is its not a matter of size, its a matter of objects getting entangled with and interacting with the environment. Its very difficult to isolate objects from the environment - it requires temperatures near absolute zero for instance - but when you do that quantum effects assert themselves even for macro sized objects and you get some very very weird behavior. Look up Bose Einstein Condensates and Liquid Helium.

RickBman said:
My next question about this experiment is...as i gather the photons acted differently when they were monitered going the the slits. So the simple act of trying to record and witness physics at this level can determine the way in which it acts? So I am just wondering, what's really going on? what's happens when were not observing anything? To me i found myself asking the age old question...Does a falling tree really make a sound if no one is there to here it...or infact is it there at all? May sound silly but does anyone get what I am trying to say here?

Quantum Mechanics is a theory about observations on a system - what is happening between observations the theory is silent about. The reason we don't notice this in everyday life is everything is constantly being observed by the environment. Einstein once said to Bohr - "I, at any rate, am convinced that He (God) does not throw dice." and "Do you really think the moon isn't there if you aren't looking at it?" Bohr, in response, said, "Einstein, don't tell God what to do."

The joke is they were both wrong - the moon is there when you are not looking because it is being constantly observed by its environment eg photons from the sun. And while it is generally thought Einstein lost the debates with Einstein it is now known Bohr's ideas were deeply flawed - not in the sense they were actually wrong - but had a dirty great big gap. Steven Weinberg expressed it thus:

'A'll this familiar story is true, but it leaves out an irony. Bohr's version of quantum mechanics was deeply flawed, but not for the reason Einstein thought. The Copenhagen interpretation describes what happens when an observer makes a measurement, but the observer and the act of measurement are themselves treated classically. This is surely wrong: Physicists and their apparatus must be governed by the same quantum mechanical rules that govern everything else in the universe. But these rules are expressed in terms of a wave function (or, more precisely, a state vector) that evolves in a perfectly deterministic way. So where do the probabilistic rules of the Copenhagen interpretation come from? Considerable progress has been made in recent years toward the resolution of the problem, which I cannot go into here. It is enough to say that neither Bohr nor Einstein had focused on the real problem with quantum mechanics. The Copenhagen rules clearly work, so they have to be accepted. But this leaves the task of explaining them by applying the deterministic equation for the evolution of the wave function, the Schrodinger equation, to observers and their apparatus.'

And I will have to leave it at that. If you would like to join us and delve into the detail yourself a new book has appeared that will be a great help:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/046502811X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its about Classical - not Quantum Mechanics. But it gives the required background to start to understand the literature that will allow you to make sense of this stuff. Take your time and you will enjoy a wonderful journey.

Thanks
Bill

RickBman said:
So my question to that is, have they tried anything bigger than a Photon?

http://www.univie.ac.at/qfp/research/matterwave/c60/index.html

Buckyballs are molecules of Carbon 60, ie 60 atoms! Everything technically has both wave and particle elements, although bigger things tend to appear as definite objects and smaller seem somewhat more like waves.

bhobba (bill) thanks for your reply it was a lot of help infact all the comments were. I think your rite though bill its something i really need to study further to even begin to try and get my head round. I am a 26 year aerospace engineer and have only just began being, to be honest, stunned by how fasinating all these subjects are....

RickBman said:

Does anyone have any further infomation or views on this?

The biggest problem is with objectivity. Quantum systems, as seen in your experiment, display contextual properties, hence all interpretations can provide only contextual objectivity. And at our level of scales nothing at all seems contextual in any way or form. :confused:

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two slits onto a screen, resulting in an interference pattern that can only be explained by the behavior of waves.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics, as it shows that particles, such as photons of light, can behave as both waves and particles. This concept is known as wave-particle duality and is a key aspect of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the results of the double slit experiment?

The results of the double slit experiment have significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality. It challenges our traditional understanding of particles and waves, and suggests that the behavior of particles is probabilistic rather than deterministic.

4. Can the double slit experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the double slit experiment has been performed with other particles, such as electrons, atoms, and even molecules. The results are the same, showing that the wave-particle duality applies to all particles, not just light.

5. How is the double slit experiment relevant to everyday life?

The double slit experiment may seem abstract and unrelated to everyday life, but its implications have led to the development of many technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors, that have practical applications in various industries. It also challenges our understanding of reality and encourages us to think differently about the world around us.