Unraveling the Explanation of A \bigcup B, A \bigcap B, and A X B

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum and minimum of the union, intersection, and Cartesian product of two sets, A and B, with n and m elements, respectively. The maximum of A and B is determined by considering two extreme cases: when A and B are disjoint, the maximum is n+m, and when B is a subset of A, the maximum is n. The minimum of A and B is determined by the formula |A OR B| = |A| + |B| - |A AND B|. The conversation also mentions the importance of using precise language and avoiding using the set names to represent their cardinalities.
XodoX
I don't understand it.

A has n elements, and B has m elements. Give the exact maximum/minimum of

1) A [itex]\bigcup[/itex] B

2) A [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B

3) A X BI don't understand the solution to this..

1) If A and B are a disjunction ( A[itex]\bigcap[/itex] B = ∅), then the max of A [itex]\bigcup[/itex] B is:

A [itex]\bigcap[/itex] B = ∅ -> |A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B| = m + nIf A is a subset of B (A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B) or B a subset of A (B [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A),
then the min of A and B is:

A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B -> |A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B| = |B| = m

B[itex]\subseteq[/itex]A -> |A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B| = |A| = nSo you're basically saying the min here is m and n. I understand that. I just don't get the explanation of it. I have to show why it's the min.

Therefore, the max of A [itex]\bigcup[/itex] B is:

max(n,m) [itex]\leq[/itex] |A[itex]\bigcup[/itex]B| [itex]\leq[/itex] n+m

Don't get this one. In words: The max is no greater than n+m. But it says it's less or equal to A and B. So you're already assuming A and B is the max?

2 and 3 have the same confusing explanations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey XodoX.

Hint: |A OR B| = |A| + |B| - |A AND B|

Suppose A contains n elements and B contains m elements with m< n.

Now consider two extreme cases:
1) A and B are completely disjoint (they have no elements in common)
Then [itex]|A\cup B|= m+n[/itex] and [itex]|A\cap B|= 0[/itex].
2) B is a subset of A
Then [itex]|A\cup B|= n[/itex] and [itex]|A\cap B|= m[/itex]

chiro said:
Hey XodoX.

Hint: |A OR B| = |A| + |B| - |A AND B|

Yes, I know, but I don't what you're referring to.

HallsofIvy said:
Suppose A contains n elements and B contains m elements with m< n.

Now consider two extreme cases:
1) A and B are completely disjoint (they have no elements in common)
Then [itex]|A\cup B|= m+n[/itex] and [itex]|A\cap B|= 0[/itex].
2) B is a subset of A
Then [itex]|A\cup B|= n[/itex] and [itex]|A\cap B|= m[/itex]

So the empty set mean nothing in common. I have A and B, so the max is A+B. Like having two separate balls.
But the A or B... if they are disjoint, it says it's 0. That would mean A and B have also a min that is 0, but there's only a max. Shouldn't A and B and A or B both have max and min ?

I don't understand your 2). A is n and B is m. So B is a subset of A means A "swallows" B and, therefore, it's A, or n. And A is a subset of B means B "swallows" A and the result is B, or m.
Is that kind of like this?BTW. To solve this, I always have to show disjoint and subset? And "and" has always just a max and "or" only a min ?

Read online about Venn diagrams, this may help.

XodoX said:
Yes, I know, but I don't what you're referring to.

So the empty set mean nothing in common. I have A and B, so the max is A+B.
You are using "A" and "B" to mean both the sets and the cardinality of the sets. Don't do that!
Yes, the intersection of two sets is empty if and only if they have "nothing in common".
Use precise language.

Like having two separate balls.
But the A or B... if they are disjoint, it says it's 0.
What does 'it' refer to and why would it say anything?

That would mean A and B have also a min that is 0, but there's only a max.
Now you are talking nonsense. A and B are general sets, NOT necessarily sets of numbers and do not necessarily have a "max" or "min". If, by "A" and "B" you mean their cardinalities (again, bad notation) they are fixed sets with fixed cardinality so again it is nonsense to talk about "max" and "min".

Shouldn't A and B and A or B both have max and min ?

I don't understand your 2). A is n and B is m. So B is a subset of A means A "swallows" B and, therefore, it's A, or n. And A is a subset of B means B "swallows" A and the result is B, or m.
Is that kind of like this?

BTW. To solve this, I always have to show disjoint and subset? And "and" has always just a max and "or" only a min ?

1. What is the difference between A U B, A ∩ B, and A x B?

A U B (A union B) is the set of all elements that are in either set A or set B (or both). A ∩ B (A intersection B) is the set of all elements that are in both set A and set B. A x B (A cross B) is the set of all ordered pairs where the first element is from set A and the second element is from set B.

2. How do you read A U B, A ∩ B, and A x B?

A U B is read as "A union B", A ∩ B is read as "A intersection B", and A x B is read as "A cross B".

3. Can A U B, A ∩ B, and A x B be applied to any type of set?

Yes, A U B, A ∩ B, and A x B can be applied to any type of set as long as the sets have elements that can be compared and combined together.

4. How do you visually represent A U B, A ∩ B, and A x B?

A U B can be represented by a Venn diagram with overlapping circles, with each circle representing set A and set B. A ∩ B can also be represented by a Venn diagram, with the overlapping region of the circles representing the elements in both sets. A x B can be represented by a grid or table, with the elements from set A listed on one axis and the elements from set B listed on the other axis.

5. What are some real-life examples of A U B, A ∩ B, and A x B?

A U B can represent the set of students who are in either the math club or the science club (or both). A ∩ B can represent the set of students who are in both the math club and the science club. A x B can represent the set of all possible combinations of toppings on a pizza, where set A is the set of meat toppings and set B is the set of vegetable toppings.