Lorentz boost matrix in terms of four-velocity

In summary: The summary of this conversation is that the value of a 4-vector x in another reference frame (x') with the same orientation can be derived using the Lorentz boost matrix \bf{\lambda} by x'=\lambda x, where the components of \lambda can be written in terms of the 4-velocity U alone. This can be done by using the Lorentz boost in an arbitrary direction, which can be written in 3-d form or in dyadic form. It can also be written in the form I+\frac{UU^T}{U_0+c}, including time components.
CarlosMarti12
As I understand it, the value of a 4-vector [itex]x[/itex] in another reference frame ([itex]x'[/itex]) with the same orientation can be derived using the Lorentz boost matrix [itex]\bf{\lambda}[/itex] by [itex]x'=\lambda x[/itex]. More explicitly,
$$\begin{bmatrix}
x'_0\\
x'_1\\
x'_2\\
x'_3\\
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\lambda_{00}&\lambda_{01}&\lambda_{02}&\lambda_{03}\\
\lambda_{10}&\lambda_{11}&\lambda_{12}&\lambda_{13}\\
\lambda_{20}&\lambda_{21}&\lambda_{22}&\lambda_{23}\\
\lambda_{30}&\lambda_{31}&\lambda_{32}&\lambda_{33}\\
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
x_0\\
x_1\\
x_2\\
x_3\\
\end{bmatrix}
$$
I have seen examples of these components written in terms of [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex], which are defined as
$$\beta=\frac{v}{c}$$
$$\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta\cdot\beta}}$$
where [itex]v[/itex] is the 3-velocity and [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light. My question is this: How can the components of [itex]\lambda[/itex] be written in terms of the 4-velocity [itex]U[/itex] alone?

I know that [itex]U_0=\gamma c[/itex] and [itex]U_i=\gamma v_i=\gamma c\beta_i[/itex] for [itex]i\in\{1,2,3\}[/itex], but I'm having trouble deriving the components for [itex]\lambda[/itex] using the matrices based on [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex]. An example of one of these matrices can be found at Wikipedia. How can I rewrite this matrix in terms of [itex]U[/itex] alone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the matrix λ is not a 4-tensor because one of its indexes is in one reference frame while the other index is in a different reference frame. Because of that Wikipedia's format is the correct one.

Last edited:
Possibly interesting reading:

Fahnline "A covariant four‐dimensional expression for Lorentz transformations"
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aapt/journal/ajp/50/9/10.1119/1.12748

Fahnline "Manifestly covariant, coordinate‐free dyadic expression for planar homogeneous Lorentz transformations"
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jmp/24/5/10.1063/1.525833

Celakoska "On Isometry Links between 4-Vectors of Velocity"
http://www.emis.de/journals/NSJOM/Papers/38_3/NSJOM_38_3_165_172.pdf

Expressing the Lorentz transformation in vector form is easy as pie. Suppose the initial 4-velocity is u, the final 4-velocity is v. There are many Lorentz transformations that take u into v, but one that's preferred is a simple boost in the u - v plane. This transformation can be written down in a completely covariant form, depending only on u and v, in four steps:

1) The usual Lorentz boost along the z-axis is
[tex]\Lambda = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\gamma&\beta \gamma\\\beta \gamma&\gamma\end{array}\right)[/tex]
2) The Lorentz boost in an arbitrary direction (quoted in several previous threads) can be written in 3-d form:
[tex]\Lambda = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\gamma&\beta \gamma \hat{v}\\\beta \gamma \hat{v}&I + (\gamma - 1)\hat{v} \hat{v}\end{array}\right)[/tex]
where [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] is the unit 3-vector in the direction of the boost.

3) Write this [itex]\Lambda[/itex] in dyadic form:
[tex]\Lambda = I + (\gamma - 1)(uu + \hat{v}\hat{v}) + \beta \gamma(u\hat{v} + \hat{v}u)[/tex]
4) Replace the unit 3-vector [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] by the 4-vector v:
[tex]\hat{v} = (\beta \gamma)^{-1}(v - \gamma u)[/tex]
Answer:
[tex]\Lambda = I - 2 uu + (\gamma + 1)^{-1}(uu + vv + uv + vu)[/tex]
Here [itex]\gamma[/itex] encodes the relative velocity between u and v: [itex]\gamma = u \cdot v[/itex]. As a check, note that the transformation does take u into v:
[tex]\Lambda \cdot u = v[/tex]

Bill_K said:
Expressing the Lorentz transformation in vector form is easy as pie. Suppose the initial 4-velocity is u, the final 4-velocity is v. There are many Lorentz transformations that take u into v, but one that's preferred is a simple boost in the u - v plane. This transformation can be written down in a completely covariant form, depending only on u and v, in four steps:

1) The usual Lorentz boost along the z-axis is
[tex]\Lambda = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\gamma&\beta \gamma\\\beta \gamma&\gamma\end{array}\right)[/tex]
2) The Lorentz boost in an arbitrary direction (quoted in several previous threads) can be written in 3-d form:
[tex]\Lambda = \left(\begin{array}{cc}\gamma&\beta \gamma \hat{v}\\\beta \gamma \hat{v}&I + (\gamma - 1)\hat{v} \hat{v}\end{array}\right)[/tex]
where [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] is the unit 3-vector in the direction of the boost.

3) Write this [itex]\Lambda[/itex] in dyadic form:
[tex]\Lambda = I + (\gamma - 1)(uu + \hat{v}\hat{v}) + \beta \gamma(u\hat{v} + \hat{v}u)[/tex]
4) Replace the unit 3-vector [itex]\hat{v}[/itex] by the 4-vector v:
[tex]\hat{v} = (\beta \gamma)^{-1}(v - \gamma u)[/tex]
Answer:
Here [itex]\gamma[/itex] encodes the relative velocity between u and v: [itex]\gamma = u \cdot v[/itex]. As a check, note that the transformation does take u into v:
[tex]\Lambda \cdot u = v[/tex]
Hi Bill_K.

A couple of years ago, I derived a dyadic relationship for the transformation very similar to this one that I think might be of interest to you. But, I'm reluctant to present it on PF because of my rather novice status with respect to SR. I wanted to send you a private message, but apparently, this is not possible. I've written up my derivation in a Word Document. If you are interested, is there a way of sending the document to you. Please feel free to respond in a private message.

Chet

Bill_K said:
Answer:

CarlosMarti12 said:
Could the matrix be written in the form [itex]I+\frac{UU^T}{U_0+c}[/itex], including time components?
Carlos, What you have corresponds to the one term, ##(\gamma + 1)^{-1}vv##. As you can see, there's more to it than that!

1. What is a Lorentz boost matrix?

A Lorentz boost matrix is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to transform the coordinates and velocities of an object from one inertial frame of reference to another. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is a Lorentz boost matrix related to four-velocity?

A Lorentz boost matrix is related to four-velocity because it is used to transform the four-velocity vector of an object, which includes its time and space components, from one frame of reference to another. This transformation allows for consistent calculations of velocity and energy in different inertial frames.

3. What is the formula for a Lorentz boost matrix in terms of four-velocity?

The formula for a Lorentz boost matrix is:
γ = 1 / √(1 - v²/c²)
β = v/c
Where γ is the Lorentz factor, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light. The Lorentz boost matrix is then given by:
Λ = [γ -γβ
-γβ γ]

4. How does a Lorentz boost matrix affect the components of four-velocity?

A Lorentz boost matrix affects the components of four-velocity by transforming them according to the formula:
u' = Λ*u
Where u is the four-velocity vector in the original frame and u' is the transformed four-velocity vector in the new frame. The transformed components of four-velocity will have different values due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lorentz boost matrices in terms of four-velocity?

Lorentz boost matrices are used in a variety of applications, including particle accelerators, astrophysics, and GPS systems. They help us understand the behavior of particles with high velocities, the effects of gravity on space-time, and the need for relativistic corrections in satellite navigation systems. They also play a crucial role in the theory of special relativity and our understanding of the universe at large.