Parallelism between a vector and a covector

• Thread starter bcrowell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary: I think what you're saying is that the covariant derivative of a scalar field is always a valid covector.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The notion of parallelism between a vector and a covector comes up naturally in the following context. Say you have a scalar field T that measures the temperature of the CMB. Then [itex]\nabla_a T[/itex] is a cosmologically preferred covector field. I would think of it as being "parallel" to the velocity vector field [itex]v^a[/itex] of the Hubble flow, but since vectors and covectors live in different vector space, there is no natural notion of parallelism between them.

One thing I could do would be to raise or lower an index, so I could say that [itex]v^a[/itex] was parallel to [itex]\nabla^a T[/itex]. Or I could say that [itex]v^a[/itex] maximizes [itex]v^a \nabla_a T[/itex] subject to the constraint [itex]v^av_a=1[/itex]. (I'm using a +--- metric.)

Are these equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are equivalent, since you are working in a metric space, and so you can always do the map from the vector space to the dual space, and inversely...

I'm not sure if ##t_a=\partial_a T## is a 4-vector. It has norm ##g_{ab}t^a t^b## and I don't see why this should be any particular value. It could still be 'parallel' to the cosmic flow but I'm not seeing how to express this right now.

The Einstein tensor in the FLRW spacetimes is that of a perfect fluid or dust. These do not permit any heat conduction or convection.

Sorry this hasn't been much help, but your question is thought provoking.

Mentz114 said:
I'm not sure if ##t_a=\partial_a T## is a 4-vector. It has norm ##g_{ab}t^a t^b## and I don't see why this should be any particular value. It could still be 'parallel' to the cosmic flow but I'm not seeing how to express this right now.

what kind of d-vector could it be?
Nevertheless, is it 4,5 or N as long as you define a metric (as the isomorphism map from the one vector space to the other) it's all fine

ChrisVer said:
what kind of d-vector could it be?
Nevertheless, is it 4,5 or N as long as you define a metric (as the isomorphism map from the one vector space to the other) it's all fine
Yes, the test is that it has the right transformation properties.

Assume ##\nabla^a T = \alpha v^a## then such an equivalence would imply that at any given point in space-time, ##v^a \nabla_a T = \alpha ## is maximized amongst the set of all vectors ##w^a## at that point such that ##w^a w_a = 1##; clearly this implies ##\alpha > 0## because if ##\alpha < 0## then the vector field ##-v^a##, which is also of unit norm, would satisfy ##-v^a\nabla_a T = -\alpha > \alpha## which trivially contradicts the equivalence of the statements.

Let ##v^a## be part of an orthonormal basis ##\{v^a,x^a,y^a,z^a\}## at said point then ##w^a =
\beta v^a + \gamma x^a + \mu y^a + \nu z^a## hence ##w^a \nabla_a T = \alpha \beta##. The unit norm condition implies (using your sign convention) ##\beta^2 - \gamma^2 - \mu^2 - \nu^2 = 1## i.e. either ##\beta \geq 1## or ##\beta \leq -1##. If ##\beta > 1## then ##w^a\nabla_a T > \alpha## at this point which would contradict the claim that ##v^a \nabla_a T = \alpha## is maximized at any point amongst all unit norm vectors at that point. But we can easily construct such a ##w^a##: take ##\beta = 2## and ##\gamma = \mu = \nu = 1##.

Mentz114 said:
I'm not sure if ##t_a=\partial_a T## is a 4-vector.

The covariant gradient of a scalar field is always a valid covector. (It has to be a covariant derivative, not just an ordinary partial derivative.)

bcrowell said:
The covariant gradient of a scalar field is always a valid covector. (It has to be a covariant derivative, not just an ordinary partial derivative.)

Is there any difference for a scalar field? Since the field has no indexes, there are no terms in the connection coefficients.

Mentz114 said:
Yes, the test is that it has the right transformation properties.

That's not the way I think of it. To me, a 4-vector is by definition the tangent to a parametrized path passing through a point. To me, a 4-covector is by definition the gradient to a scalar field. The stuff about components transforming in the right way is saying that if you have 4 numbers, then those 4 numbers can be thought of as components of a 4-vector (or covector) if they transform the right way.

If temperature is a scalar field, then [itex]\partial_i T[/itex] are necessarily components of a covector. I think that temperature is a scalar.

PeterDonis said:
Is there any difference for a scalar field? Since the field has no indexes, there are no terms in the connection coefficients.

You're right---for a scalar, there is no difference between covariant derivative and partial derivative.

1. What is a vector and a covector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow in a coordinate space. A covector, also known as a dual vector, is a linear functional that maps a vector to a scalar.

2. How are vectors and covectors related?

Vectors and covectors are closely related as they both describe the same geometric object but from different perspectives. A vector can be seen as a column matrix while a covector can be seen as a row matrix.

3. What is the concept of parallelism between a vector and a covector?

Parallelism refers to the relationship between a vector and a covector in which they are aligned in the same direction. This means that the directional properties of the vector and the functional properties of the covector are aligned.

4. What is the significance of parallelism between a vector and a covector?

The parallelism between a vector and a covector allows for the efficient and accurate representation of geometric objects and their properties in mathematical models. It also allows for the use of duality in various mathematical and physical applications.

5. How is parallelism between a vector and a covector used in physics?

In physics, the concept of parallelism between a vector and a covector is utilized in various fields such as relativity, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It allows for the description of physical phenomena in terms of geometric objects and their properties, leading to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of nature.