Does Einstein's General Theory of Relativity imply graviton?

In summary, Einstein's paper "The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity" discusses his theory that gravitation arises from different motions of objects and is still true in an infinitesimally small space-time region. He also explored methods to formulate laws of nature that hold true in any reference frame. While Einstein did not consider gravitation as a force, he may have accepted the concept of a graviton particle. However, the existence of a graviton is still a hypothetical concept as we do not have a consistent quantum theory of gravity.
sujoykroy
I was reading Einstein's paper "The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity" and as i understood, he tried to establish that gravitation arises due to different kind of motions of objects. As per his opinion, in infinitesimally small space-time region special theory of relativity is still true. But laws that are true in that region, may not be true in a reference frame composed of moving/rotating objects. And these change of reference frame, along with the limitation of maximum speed of light, is what makes motion of some object appear like an effect of "gravitational force". He then proceeded to find out methods to formulate laws of nature which are true in any reference frame. So, as Einstein did not consider gravitation as a force, i guess he wouldn't have accepted the idea of graviton particle. Is my conclusion correct or did i misread his paper? Moreover, does the concept of graviton conflict with General Theory of Relativity as the way Einstein described?

Physics news on Phys.org
General relativity does not imply a graviton, and is not consistent with any theory involving gravitons except in the classical limit. The relationship is basically the same as between Maxwell's EM and QED.

However, the converse is mostly true: given an assumption of a gravition as a spin 2 massless, force carrying, boson, (plus some technical assumptions) it is possible to show that the classical limit must be general relativity (almost uniquely).

Likes 1 person
sujoykroy said:
... So, as Einstein did not consider gravitation as a force, i guess he wouldn't have accepted the idea of graviton particle. Is my conclusion correct or did i misread his paper? Moreover, does the concept of graviton conflict with General Theory of Relativity as the way Einstein described?

The absolute equivalence of a uniformly accelerating frame in free space to a stationary frame in a gravitational field led to the view that gravitational forces are unique among forces in that they arise in the theory as a result of the spacetime geometry. Einstein predicted that any change in that geometry (due to redistribution of masses for example) would propagate at light speed giving rise to gravitational waves. He would be happy with the notion that any attempt to quantize these gravity waves would lead to wave-particle duality so I suspect that he would accept the idea of something like the graviton. However, the notion of a particle such as the graviton, as the force carrying entity of the gravitational field, is a concept deriving from an analogy to quantum field theory developed in the 1950s onwards, so don't expect any such thing in papers from 1916!

By the way, we still have no truly consistent quantum field theory of gravity, so you might say that the graviton is still a hypothetical particle which we imagine must exist if such a quantum theory of gravity exists: whether it does or does not, is still controversial!

Last edited:

Thank you for your interest in Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. Your understanding of his theory is correct. In his theory, Einstein did not consider gravitation as a force but rather as a result of the curvature of space and time. This curvature is caused by the presence of mass and energy in the universe.

The concept of graviton, which is a hypothetical particle that carries the force of gravity, is not a part of Einstein's theory. In fact, the existence of graviton is still a subject of debate and has not been confirmed by any experiments.

The General Theory of Relativity and the concept of graviton are not necessarily in conflict with each other. Some theories, such as String Theory, suggest that graviton could exist within the framework of General Relativity. However, as of now, there is no conclusive evidence to support the existence of graviton.

It is important to note that Einstein's theory is constantly being tested and refined, and it is possible that future advancements in science may shed light on the existence of graviton. But for now, the General Theory of Relativity stands on its own as a comprehensive explanation of the nature of gravity.

I hope this clarifies your understanding of Einstein's theory and its relationship with the concept of graviton. Keep exploring and questioning the mysteries of the universe!

1. How does Einstein's General Theory of Relativity explain gravity?

The General Theory of Relativity explains gravity as a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This curvature causes objects to follow a curved path in spacetime, which we perceive as the force of gravity.

2. What is the role of gravitons in Einstein's General Theory of Relativity?

In Einstein's theory, gravitons are not explicitly included. The theory describes gravity as a result of the curvature of spacetime, rather than a force carried by particles. However, some theories that attempt to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces do include gravitons as the hypothetical particles that mediate the gravitational force.

3. How does Einstein's General Theory of Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity described gravity as a force between two objects that is dependent on their masses and the distance between them. Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, on the other hand, describes gravity as a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This theory also accounts for the effects of gravity on the flow of time and the bending of light.

4. Is there any evidence for the existence of gravitons?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of gravitons. However, some theories, such as string theory, predict the existence of gravitons. Future experiments, such as those conducted by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), may provide evidence for the existence of gravitons.

5. Can Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and quantum mechanics be reconciled?

Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and quantum mechanics are currently two of the most successful theories in physics. However, they have not yet been fully reconciled into a single theory. Many theories, such as string theory, attempt to unify these theories and may provide a framework for incorporating both gravity and quantum mechanics.