Mastering GTR: A Guide to Tackling Problems on Curved Space

• Thread starter Ravi Mohan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is struggling to understand GR from Dirac's outdated book and is looking for problems to test their understanding. Another person recommends a different book and advises against using Dirac's book. The original person enjoys studying from Dirac's book but is considering leaving it for graduate school.
Ravi Mohan
Hi

I am teaching myself GTR from Dirac's book (https://www.amazon.com/dp/069101146X/?tag=pfamazon01-20). Although, he quiet elegantly introduces the notion of curved space and the associated mathematics, I am not getting comfortable with it.

I was wondering if there is a collection of problems which I can work on to test my understanding of the subject. Google is not of much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.amazon.com/dp/069108162X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 If you're serious about GR then this book is an absolute must. Almost every problem in it is extremely instructive and will do wonders for your understanding of GR and ability to do GR calculations.

As an aside, Dirac's book is extremely outdated. I have no idea why you are using it to learn GR. Rest assured you are not doing yourself any favors by using it, quite the opposite really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for the link.

WannabeNewton said:
As an aside, Dirac's book is extremely outdated. I have no idea why you are using it to learn GR. Rest assured you are not doing yourself any favors by using it, quite the opposite really.
I enjoy studying it (so that is indeed a favor :)). But again thank you for the heads up. I would leave the modern GTR for graduate school.

Ravi Mohan said:
I enjoy studying it (so that is indeed a favor :)).

Haha well I can't argue with that :smile:

I understand the importance of practice and problem-solving in mastering a subject. Fortunately, there are many resources available to help you tackle problems on curved space in GTR. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

1. Look for problem sets or practice exercises in your textbook or other recommended resources. Many textbooks have a section at the end of each chapter with practice problems, and some even have solutions or hints for these problems.

2. Check online for problem sets or practice exams from universities or physics departments. These can often be found on department websites or through a simple Google search. These problems are often more challenging and can help you deepen your understanding of the subject.

3. Join online forums or discussion groups dedicated to GTR and ask for recommendations for practice problems. You can also post your own questions and get feedback from other students or experts in the field.

4. Attend workshops or seminars on GTR where you can work on problems with other students and get guidance from experienced instructors.

Remember, mastering GTR takes time and practice. Don't get discouraged if you struggle with some problems at first. Keep working at it and seek help when needed. Good luck on your journey to understanding curved space in GTR!

1. What is "Mastering GTR"?

"Mastering GTR" is a guidebook that provides an in-depth understanding of General Relativity, specifically focusing on solving problems on curved space. It covers topics such as the mathematical foundations of curved space, the Einstein field equations, and the role of tensors in GTR.

2. Who is the target audience for "Mastering GTR"?

The target audience for "Mastering GTR" is primarily scientists, researchers, and students who have a basic understanding of General Relativity and are looking to deepen their knowledge and problem-solving skills in this field.

3. What sets "Mastering GTR" apart from other textbooks on General Relativity?

"Mastering GTR" is unique in its approach to teaching General Relativity. It focuses on solving problems on curved space, which is often a challenging aspect for many learners. It also includes detailed explanations and step-by-step solutions to problems, making it a valuable resource for self-study and problem-solving practice.

4. What kind of problems can be solved using "Mastering GTR"?

"Mastering GTR" covers a wide range of problems in General Relativity, including those related to cosmology, black holes, gravitational waves, and the universe's evolution. It also provides a strong foundation for tackling more complex and advanced topics in the field.

5. How can "Mastering GTR" benefit scientists and researchers?

"Mastering GTR" can benefit scientists and researchers by providing a comprehensive understanding of General Relativity and the ability to solve problems in curved space. This knowledge can be applied to various research areas, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and gravitational physics.