Help My Students Understand Robotics: 4 Sticks Joining and Walking

In summary, The conversation revolves around a teacher's students who are interested in the mechanics behind the sticks drawn in Sodaplay. The teacher, who is also their robotics club advisor, wants to properly explain the concept to them. The conversation also touches upon the various components and mechanics involved in creating movement in the sticks.
Persefone
Hello, I have some students--my part-time job as a teacher--who are know in their first year at high school. They asked me a question about how some sticks drawn in http://www.sodaplay.com were getting well connected and also can move back and forth amazingly. There is no doubt that my students join their school robotics club.
I am their teacher anyway, you know, it is really such a shame if I couldn't answer their questions properly.

Can you help by explaining a simple 4 sticks joining at one end and will walk on the ground by 4 other ends ? Are they made by any software ?

Thanks a lot,

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there any way you can rephrase your question? I really am not getting the gist of it. Are you wondering how the Sodaplay software works or are you wondering how to make an actual robot work?

I meant to know how those sticks could walk

What, in the computer program or in real life?

Follow this link: http://www.sodaplay.com/constructor/how/works.htm
It explains what the sticks are doing.

In a nutshell, each stick is a spring and it lengthens and contracts at a specific rate. If you coordinate these at just the right frequencies you will get components that act very much like muscles. Combine these components in a coordinated way, and you can get locomotion.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the basic steps for teaching students about robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking?

The basic steps for teaching students about robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking are:

• Introduce the concept of robotics and explain its applications in the real world.
  • Explain the concept of 4 sticks joining and walking and its relevance in robotics.
  • Show students how to assemble the 4 sticks to create a walking robot.
  • Guide students through the programming process to make the robot walk.
  • Encourage students to experiment and modify their robot to make it walk in different ways.

What skills can students learn from understanding robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking?

Students can learn a variety of skills from understanding robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking, including:

• Problem-solving and critical thinking skills through designing and programming the robot.
  • Teamwork and collaboration skills through working together to build and program the robot.
  • Basic programming skills through coding the robot to walk.
  • Creativity and innovation through modifying the robot to perform different tasks.
  • Understanding of engineering principles and concepts.

What are some common challenges students may face while learning about robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking?

Some common challenges students may face while learning about robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking are:

• Difficulty understanding the concept of robotics and its applications.
  • Trouble with assembling the 4 sticks to create a walking robot.
  • Struggles with coding and programming the robot to walk.
  • Difficulty working in a team to complete the project.
  • Challenges in modifying the robot to perform different tasks.

How can teachers make learning about robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking more engaging and fun?

Teachers can make learning about robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking more engaging and fun by:

• Using hands-on activities and experiments to demonstrate the concepts.
  • Incorporating games and challenges that involve the robot and its movements.
  • Encouraging students to be creative and come up with their own designs and modifications.
  • Providing real-world examples of robotics and its applications to keep students interested.
  • Allowing students to work in groups and collaborate to complete the project.

How can understanding robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking benefit students in the future?

Understanding robotics and 4 sticks joining and walking can benefit students in the future in the following ways:

• Preparation for a future career in the field of robotics and engineering.
  • Development of problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are useful in various industries.
  • Understanding of technology and its role in society.
  • Ability to think creatively and innovate, which is valuable in any profession.
  • Enhancement of teamwork and collaboration skills that are necessary in the workplace.