Proving 2^(2^n) - 6 is a Multiple of 10: Mathematical Induction Method

In summary, for every natural numbers n>=2 n \geq 2, the number 2^2^n - 6 2^{2^n} -6 is a multiple of 10.
dglee
Show taht for every natural numbers n>=2 [tex]n \geq 2 [/tex] the number 2^2^n - 6 [tex]2^{2^n} -6[/tex] is a multiple of 10. Using mathematical induction.
Okay i got no clue how to start this question. Ahhh Is there a series where the x^n is a series? Well this stuff really sucks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:

[tex]2^{2^{n+1}} = \left( 2^{2^n}\right)^2[/tex]

Tide said:
HINT:
[tex]2^{2^{n+1}} = \left( 2^{2^n}\right)^2[/tex]

Oh WOw... that helped a lot.. now i can show that its inductive hmm but how would i show its a multiple of 10?
hmm maybe if i said 10^2 is 100 so that's a multiple of 10. [tex]10*n\leq2^{2^n}-6 [/tex] if i proved that.. hmm i wonder if that would be right... [tex]10*(n+1)\leq2^{2^(n+1)}[/tex] hmm if i proved that would i have solved the question?
wow if hmm well ahaha thanks a LOT! YOUR AWSOME. that little hint helped a lot but i got no clue if I am actually doing it right.

Last edited:
For Mathematical Induction, you assume that P_{k} is true, in this case for n greater or equal to 2. With this, you can immediately say that 2^(2^k) - 6 is equal to 10a, for some a, where a is a positive integer.
Can you then use this fact, and the hint provided, to prove the desired result for 2^(2^(k+1)) - 6?

hmm should could i say that

[tex] 10(a+x)\leq (\left2^{2^n}\right )^2 - 6[/tex] where x is some positive number and should that it is inductive to prove that 10 is a multiple?
soo
[tex] 10(a)\leq2^{2^n} - 6 [/tex] then
[tex] 10(a+x)\leq(\left 2^{2^n}\right)^2 - 6[/tex]
then show that
[tex] 10(a+x)\leq2^{2^{n+1}} -6 [/tex] ahhh I am confusd now.. ahh

Last edited:
HINT: If M - 6 is a multiple of 10 then M ends in the digit 6! :)

Hmmm... Why are there so many inequalitites in your working? From what I know, the only inequality to appear in your solution should be the fact that n is greater than or equal to 2, but this is just a specification, and should not appear in your proof.

Steps in Mathematical Induction
1) Let [tex]P_{n}[/tex] be the statement [tex]2^{2^n}-6[/tex] is divisible by 10, for n[tex]\geq[/tex] 2.
2) Check that the result you want to prove is valid for n=2, so [tex]P_{2}[/tex] is true.
3) Assume [tex]P_{k}[/tex] is true, for some n [tex]\geq[/tex] 2. So, [tex]2^{2^k}-6[/tex] = 10a, for some a, which is a positive integer.
4) Using this result, you must somehow prove that [tex]2^{2^{k+1}}-6[/tex] is a multiple of 10. How would you go around doing it? Look at the first hint provided and observe... What has been done to the term [tex]2^{2^n}[/tex] ? USE BOTH THE RESULT FROM STEP 3 AND THE FIRST HINT

5) Once you have proven step 4, give a conclusion. "Since [tex]P_{2}[/tex] is true, and for some n[tex]\geq[/tex]2, [tex]P_{k}[/tex] is true [tex]\Longrightarrow[/tex] [tex]P_{k+1}[/tex] is true. By Mathematical Induction, [tex]P_{n}[/tex] is true for all n[tex]\geq[/tex]2."

Last edited:
Wow thanks a lot for your help. I will try to figure this out. You helped a lot pizzasky and Tide. :smile:

What is mathematical induction and how does it apply to this problem?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers. In this problem, we use mathematical induction to show that 2^(2^n) - 6 is a multiple of 10 for all values of n.

Why is it important to prove that 2^(2^n) - 6 is a multiple of 10?

Proving that 2^(2^n) - 6 is a multiple of 10 is important because it helps us understand the properties of exponents and their relationship to multiples of 10. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in other mathematical problems.

What is the base case in this problem and why is it necessary?

The base case in this problem is when n=1. It is necessary because it serves as the starting point of our induction proof and allows us to show that the statement is true for the first value of n.

How do you prove the inductive step in this problem?

The inductive step in this problem involves assuming that the statement is true for a specific value of n, and then using this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for the next value of n. This process is repeated until we reach the general case where n can be any natural number.

What are the limitations of using mathematical induction to prove this statement?

Mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used for cases where the statement is only true for certain values of n or for non-integer values of n. Additionally, it is not a substitute for a rigorous mathematical proof and should be used in conjunction with other proof techniques to ensure the validity of a statement.