Is Chi Real? Exploring the Concept of Chi in Chinese Philosophy

• Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chi Force
In summary: Anyway, I'm not sure what to call it.At one point he described how one can build up waves of energy. For example, if one is to throw a right punch, the waves might travel between the right fist and the rear-most foot. The most proficient experts can allegedly quickly produce seven waves, I think it was, which enables an incredibly powerful punch. As a black belt, my buddy could only get to three waves or so.I think this describes Bruce Lee's famous one inch punch.In summary, an electrical current runs through your body and everything around you. Chi may be what the Chinese were referring to when they talked about a force called Chi. Chi is supposedly an electrical current that runs
striker5585 said:
Poop-Loops i think you misunderstood the point i was trying to convey. i said that society needs to keep there minds open to "new" ideas when i should have said "different" ideas. western medicine has come along due to the advancements of our knowledge and technology. its easy to agree that if it weren't for western medicine and the applicable technology people would live much shorter lives. the point that i am trying to convey is that alto western medicine is a huge part of out modern medicine you must not forget other avenues of treatment. use western medicine along with holistic methods of treatment. you must remember that some large changes in the western medical practice were due to holistic ideas.

They weren't due to holistic methods, they were due to people realizing the actual mechanisms behind those holistic methods. Things like meditation/prayer or what have you. You're not actually talking to God or channeling old dragons into your forearms, you are simply calming your mind.

In this case, it's adrenalin, not some weird mystical power that somehow you can only see if you really really believe in it.

SoleKundalite said:
Let's say I do 10-14 reps of 35 or 40 lbs as a heavier weight. So 20 lbs is a bit lighter.

Adjust your own heavier weight that you do 10-14 reps and use one that is 15-20 lbs lighter and do 100 reps if that would make it similar to me using a 20 lb weight. After doing 100 reps try and do 200-300 reps. It is pretty much impossible unless you can get the adrenaline/electricity to flow through your body and feel it. It's like an aura. Like I said I've been observing all the other guys at numerous gyms and none of them seem to have this ability besides myself. Didn't see any goosebumps nor forearm hairs standing straight up.

Just read up a little on how adrenaline actually works and then visualize what it can do at greater levels than when excreted normally.

You see, the guys at the gym were relaxed when working out. That's the difference. Can you lift as much as the "seasoned" guys there could? If not, then I don't see why I should listen to you over them, especially since they have the backing of science.

Like seycyrus pointed out, throwing around 20lbs for 100 reps will not do anything to benefit you, just waste time. It's not how lifting works. You're not getting stronger by doing that, your body is just getting annoyed.

Moreover, I still don't see the point of the obsession about forearm hairs standing up. Mine are long and thick, and I doubt anything could make them stand straight up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I do 100 reps of a lighter weight, like 20 lbs, I do it for toning, not necessarily to get stronger or bigger. I'm not so much looking to get big but to burn fat and get toned at the moment.

Increased adrenaline shouldn't be expected to be some sort of miracle magic that can make me lift as much as guys who've been lifting continuously for years w/ much more muscle mass. However, it does allow one super stamina, enabling him/her to do various machines or weight regimens of say equal difficulty to some other person who could only do one and have to take some time to rest. Lifting weights has been far easier than ever before almost to the point of boredom.

The seasoned guys, or any guy, has to exert himself far more than someone who is able to release adrenaline/Chi. You'll see them squinching and huffing and puffing while the person who can activate his/her Chi won't huff/puff much (they might even be smiling or giggling) b/c the Adrenaline will start flowing. Chi allows someone to rest far less in their workout and do more 1.2-3 times more reps of any weight that their musculature at that point in time can handle.

Forearm hairs standing/goosebumps are the key feature to identify those who can release this Chi. I guess I'd better take a photo to show you that it is possible.

Last edited:
"Supply of glucose to exercising muscle
Increasing muscle activity requires adequate fuel supply for ATP synthesis by muscle.
When muscle activity is anticipated, the adrenal glands secrete adrenaline.
Adrenaline increases muscle glycogen degradation (by activating the breakdown enzymes and de-activating the synthesis enzymes).
When muscle activity ceases, adrenaline secretion is switched off. When glucose becomes available again after a meal glycogen stores in muscle are replenished. Glucose can only be supplied to muscle cells either by utilising stored muscle glycogen or supply from the liver via the bloodstream.
Muscle does not carry out gluconeogenesis."

According to: unisanet.unisa.edu.au/08366/h&p2carb.htm

"The effects of adrenaline on the work- and power-generating capacity of rat papillary muscle in vitro
J Layland, IS Young and JD Altringham
Department of Biology, University, Leeds, UK. j.layland@umds.ac.uk

The work loop technique was used to examine the effects of adrenaline on the mechanics of cardiac muscle contraction in vitro. The length for maximum active force (Lmax) and net work production (Lopt) for rat papillary muscles was determined under control conditions (without adrenaline). The concentration of adrenaline producing the maximum inotropic effect was determined. This concentration was used in the remainder of the experiments. Sinusoidal strain cycles about Lopt were performed over a physiologically relevant range of cycle frequencies (4-11 Hz). Maximum work and the frequency for maximum work increased from 1.91 J kg-1 at 3 Hz in controls to 2.97 J kg-1 at 6 Hz with adrenaline. Similarly, maximum power output and the frequency for maximum power output (fopt) increased from 8.62 W kg-1 at 6 Hz in controls to 19.95 W kg-1 at 8 Hz with adrenaline. We suggest that the power-frequency relationship, derived using the work loop technique, represents a useful index with which to assess the effects of pharmacological interventions on cardiac muscle contractility."

jeb.biologists.org/cgi/content/abstract/200/3/503

womenshealthmag.com/health/adrenaline

Adrenaline on Tap
It makes you faster, stronger--and ballsier. Now research shows it can help you battle the biggest health-suck of all: stress. Bring it on

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1590/is_n4_v53/ai_18839104

thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=428

answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=267285

Go ahead and try to obtain this "energy" ability to make future physical goals much easier and obtain certain health benefits (like antiarthritic effects). But there is also the possibility that you may become insane or die. That'll mean a few less annoying skeptics left to annoy me. :-)

Last edited:
General Endocrinology

Hypothalamus/Pituitary I/II

David Abbott
Description Hypothalamus, anterior and posterior pituitary. Portal flow, Concept of releasing hormones. List hormones, describe POMC and derivative peptides, control release of ACTH. Feedback control of release and Circadian Rhythm. TRH/dopamine and Prolactin Secretion.

Hypothalamus/Pituitary III/IV
David Abbott
LH/FSH, GnRH, steroid feedback control/ovarian cycle overview from hypothalamus/pituitary point of view. (Includes Inhibin/activin feedback)

Adrenal I (Cortex)

Ian Bird
Outline steroid synthetic pathways and zonal function, Hormone control zonal function by ACTH/AII/K+/5HT, Outline congenital adrenal hyperplasia, Mechanistic basis for Adrenarche/menopause in humans/primates.

Adrenal II (Medulla)

Ian Bird
Medullary structure/function/control adrenaline release. Outline evidence for adrenal cortical innervation/hypothalamic reflex. Acute vs chronic stress responses (adrenaline vs steroid).

==>

"Adrenaline increases the rate of cycling of crossbridges in rat cardiac muscle as measured by pseudo-random binary noise-modulated perturbation analysis
JF Hoh, GH Rossmanith, LJ Kwan and AM Hamilton
Department of Physiology, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia.

The mechanism of action of adrenaline on cardiac contractility in rat papillary muscles containing V1 and V3 isomyosins was analyzed during barium-activated contractures at 25 degrees C by frequency domain analysis using pseudo-random binary noise-modulated perturbations. The analysis characterizes a frequency (fmin) at which dynamic stiffness of a muscle is a minimum, a parameter that reflects the rate of cycling of crossbridges. We have previously shown that fmin for V1- and V3- containing papillary muscles were 2.1 +/- 0.2 Hz (mean +/- SD) (n = 10) and 1.1 +/- 0.2 Hz (n = 8), respectively, and that these values were independent of the level of activation. The present study's goal was to determine whether the inotropic action of adrenaline was associated with an increased rate of crossbridge cycling. The results show that a saturating dose of adrenaline increased fmin in V1 hearts by 49 +/- 2% (n = 11). The action on V3 hearts was significantly less; the increase in fmin was 26 +/- 2% (n = 6). The increase in fmin for V1 hearts was shown to be sensitive to the beta-blocking agent propranolol. These results suggest that adrenaline significantly increases the rate of crossbridge cycling by a beta-receptor-mediated mechanism. We conclude that the increased contractility of the heart in the presence of adrenaline arises not only from more complete activation of the contractile proteins but also from the increased rate at which each crossbridge can transduce energy."

Taken from: ==>circres.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/3/452

SoleKundalite said:
If I do 100 reps of a lighter weight, like 20 lbs, I do it for toning, not necessarily to get stronger or bigger. I'm not so much looking to get big but to burn fat and get toned at the moment.

Get *toned*? What does an *untoned* muscle fiber look like? You're using terminology from infomercials.

SoleKundalite said:
do one and have to take some time to rest. Lifting weights has been far easier than ever before almost to the point of boredom.

Maybe you should try something revolutionary... You know, like increasing the weight.

SoleKundalite said:
Forearm hairs standing/goosebumps are the key feature to identify those who can release this Chi. I guess I'd better take a photo to show you that it is possible.

A picture of goosebumps don't prove squat.

SoleKundalite said:
womenshealthmag.com/health/adrenaline
Adrenaline on Tap
It makes you faster, stronger

You said it didn't make you stronger, only increased your stamina.

SoleKundalite said:
"Adrenaline increases the rate of cycling of crossbridges in rat cardiac muscle as measured by pseudo-random binary noise-modulated perturbation analysis
JF Hoh, GH Rossmanith, LJ Kwan and AM Hamilton
Department of Physiology, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia.

The mechanism of action of adrenaline on cardiac contractility in rat papillary muscles containing V1 and V3 isomyosins was analyzed during barium-activated contractures at 25 degrees C by frequency domain analysis using pseudo-random binary noise-modulated perturbations. The analysis characterizes a frequency (fmin) at which dynamic stiffness of a muscle is a minimum, a parameter that reflects the rate of cycling of crossbridges. We have previously shown that fmin for V1- and V3- containing papillary muscles were 2.1 +/- 0.2 Hz (mean +/- SD) (n = 10) and 1.1 +/- 0.2 Hz (n = 8), respectively, and that these values were independent of the level of activation. The present study's goal was to determine whether the inotropic action of adrenaline was associated with an increased rate of crossbridge cycling. The results show that a saturating dose of adrenaline increased fmin in V1 hearts by 49 +/- 2% (n = 11). The action on V3 hearts was significantly less; the increase in fmin was 26 +/- 2% (n = 6). The increase in fmin for V1 hearts was shown to be sensitive to the beta-blocking agent propranolol. These results suggest that adrenaline significantly increases the rate of crossbridge cycling by a beta-receptor-mediated mechanism. We conclude that the increased contractility of the heart in the presence of adrenaline arises not only from more complete activation of the contractile proteins but also from the increased rate at which each crossbridge can transduce energy."

Taken from: ==>circres.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/3/452

And how, exactly, do you think that article reinforces what you have been saying?

Ivan Seeking said:
I know an engineer who will swear that the technique works, but he doesn't think there is anything mystical involved. However, when he started to explain to me what he saw as the prosaic explanation for why this works, it sounded like a real stretch to me. In fact, it sounded like nonsense to me.

At one point he described how one can build up waves of energy. For example, if one is to throw a right punch, the waves might travel between the right fist and the rear-most foot. The most proficient experts can allegedly quickly produce seven waves, I think it was, which enables an incredibly powerful punch. As a black belt, my buddy could only get to three waves or so.

Allegedly one adds power by piling up waves such that they interfere constructively, if you will, at the fist, at the exact moment of the punch. Of course the question is: Waves of what? He thinks this is something like a mechanical wave traveling along the muscles, but that doesn't make any sense to me. True believers say it is the Chi energy. At the least, it appears that using and practicing this technique mentally, one can dramatically improve the effectiveness of a punch.

I am a prior martial artist and just about to graduate with a physics degree. I believe the "wave" that most people describe is related to an actual muscle tensing propagation that starts at the feet and goes up through the hips (where a lot of power comes from). As a martial artist, I can tell this is more powerful (I mean, obviously, you have to use the ground to push yourself forward anyway, so a lot of punching power already automatically comes from you pushing off of the friction bond between your feet and the ground). By following through with your hips, you're putting your whole upper body weight into the punch, and of course, you have to throw the fist out, so it's very natural to feel like you're muscles are a propagating wave..

I don't, however, think there's multiple waves. Perhaps they psychologically prep themselves for the physical wave-like motion of the muscles by doing a few imaginary runs first or something. or do a small muscle propagation (like a warm-up swing).

Other than that, I've noticed a lot of sensory can be thermodynamic and optical (with my eyes closed, I can sense somebody putting their hand near my body because I can feel the heat, or if they step in front of light it still dims what photons get through my eyelids. Or sometimes people will block off acoustic radiation and you don't often consciously recognize it, but your ears picks it up and your brain sends a little red flag up.

I had a sensei who claimed our "comfort bubble" was our energy/sensory field. I suppose that sort of makes sense in the way that you tend to notice when people are inside your comfort bubble, but I think it all comes down to our five, well-known senses working on a more subtle level.

It can make your stronger, as in do more reps of a particular weight than normally. Lately I've become better at channeling it allowing me to perform even better at bench press. But it makes more significant strides in giving you so much stamina you barely sweat while all the other guys are sweating like hogs.

[A picture of goosebumps don't prove squat.]

Last edited by a moderator:
SoleKundalite said:
It can make your stronger, as in do more reps of a particular weight than normally. Lately I've become better at channeling it allowing me to perform even better at bench press. .

How many times can you put up 315?

SoleKundalite said:
But it makes more significant strides in giving you so much stamina you barely sweat while all the other guys are sweating like hogs.

Because they are working harder than you. They are curling 45s for 8-10 reps, and you are curling 30 oz for 1000 reps. Do you sweat from chewing bubble gum? Imagine the CHI you must be unleashing to allow yourself to all those reps with the bubbleicious!

Explain why and how adrenaline modifies the body's cooling response.

Noone is disputing that adrenaline has certain effects on the body. What is being disputed is your CHI-adrenaline.

Yep, a whole lot of training and the never ending ability of people to underestimate the capabilities of the human body.

SoleKundalite said:
It can make your stronger, as in do more reps of a particular weight than normally.

Everything I've read on weight lifting and strength training tells me you are wrong.

You do NOT gain strength by lifting small weights a lot of times.

You gain strength by lifting large weights, even if it's only a few times.

Can you do this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=mcM_SCp2KHA

lifting

lifting small weights with more reps tone and lifting heavy weights with less reps builds strength.

seycyrus said:
How many times can you put up 315?

Because they are working harder than you. They are curling 45s for 8-10 reps, and you are curling 30 oz for 1000 reps. Do you sweat from chewing bubble gum? Imagine the CHI you must be unleashing to allow yourself to all those reps with the bubbleicious!

Explain why and how adrenaline modifies the body's cooling response.

Noone is disputing that adrenaline has certain effects on the body. What is being disputed is your CHI-adrenaline.

No, it's not because they're working harder than me. I've watched how they react and proceeded to use the same machine they did and used a weight that I felt was as heavy for me relative to the heavier weight they were using (these guys were much bigger and obviously lifted consistently for a much longer time period). If I see guys who seem to be similar in muscle content and workout consistency as myself we would obviously use similar weight for a comparisson. Other than that I can say my current performance has far exceeded my past normal abilities.

As far as benching 315, you are using ridiculous numbers for someone who has been in academia for quite a while and thus not spend much time at the gym consistently. But I can assure you that anyone who can summon this Chi/Adrenaline, say tomorrow, who can bench 315 today should be able to do more reps than he thought possible (maybe 10-25% more than what is normally possible without the adrenaline rushes... w/ lighter weights he should be able to increase reps even more relative to normal). He also won't feel like he's exerted himself much after using each station or routine.

I haven't researched anything w/ regard to hardly sweating. I think it has to do w/ my body not feeling like it's exerted itself as much. Lifting what a person of my stature/consistency/muscle content can at this moment has been by and far much easier than in the past as long as I shoot some rushes every 20-30 minutes.

Here's a little more about adrenaline power:
http://health.howstuffworks.com/adrenaline-strength.htm/printable

Poop-Loops said:
Everything I've read on weight lifting and strength training tells me you are wrong.

You do NOT gain strength by lifting small weights a lot of times.

You gain strength by lifting large weights, even if it's only a few times.

Can you do this? http://youtube.com/watch?v=mcM_SCp2KHA

If you are able to do more reps by using the rushes of the max weight that you use for a certain routine then you are in essence stronger/more powerful than your normal self. Maybe your muscle isn't in actuality much stronger than normal but the adrenaline gives you like some extra internal power/strength to push the muscle beyond normal ability.

Pythagorean said:
I am a prior martial artist and just about to graduate with a physics degree. I believe the "wave" that most people describe is related to an actual muscle tensing propagation that starts at the feet and goes up through the hips (where a lot of power comes from). As a martial artist, I can tell this is more powerful (I mean, obviously, you have to use the ground to push yourself forward anyway, so a lot of punching power already automatically comes from you pushing off of the friction bond between your feet and the ground). By following through with your hips, you're putting your whole upper body weight into the punch, and of course, you have to throw the fist out, so it's very natural to feel like you're muscles are a propagating wave..

I don't, however, think there's multiple waves. Perhaps they psychologically prep themselves for the physical wave-like motion of the muscles by doing a few imaginary runs first or something. or do a small muscle propagation (like a warm-up swing).

Other than that, I've noticed a lot of sensory can be thermodynamic and optical (with my eyes closed, I can sense somebody putting their hand near my body because I can feel the heat, or if they step in front of light it still dims what photons get through my eyelids. Or sometimes people will block off acoustic radiation and you don't often consciously recognize it, but your ears picks it up and your brain sends a little red flag up.

I had a sensei who claimed our "comfort bubble" was our energy/sensory field. I suppose that sort of makes sense in the way that you tend to notice when people are inside your comfort bubble, but I think it all comes down to our five, well-known senses working on a more subtle level.

Adrenaline/Chi = fight of flight response/feeling like there's an energy field around you but iit's prob just the feeling of the goosebumps+forearm hairs standing on end and adrenaline/endorphins flowing. This has nothing to do w/ the punching power mechanism you are describing. As mentioned previously this adrenaline/Chi ability is extremely rare. I've been keeping my eyes peeled at various gyms (I feel like I'm cheating by using the energy hehehe) and still haven't found others like me. There are two energy healers that I will get in contact w/ soon who supposedly also have this ability.

SoleKundalite said:
No, it's not because they're working harder than me.

Yes it was.

SoleKundalite said:
I've watched how they react and proceeded to use the same machine they did and used a weight that I felt was as heavy for me relative to the heavier weight they were using

You "felt" it was as relatively heavy. That's subjective.

SoleKundalite said:
Other than that I can say my current performance has far exceeded my past normal abilities.

That's a benefit of working out, you get stronger. CHI has nothing to do with it.

SoleKundalite said:
As far as benching 315, you are using ridiculous numbers for someone who has been in academia for quite a while and thus not spend much time at the gym consistently.

Excuse me? I've had experiences with academia myself. Academia have as much free time as they require. The gym is on campus, a nice little walk near the place where you work. It's a lot more convenient compared to someone who has to drive 30 minutes in heavy traffic and then hunt for a parking space near the gym.

The reason why you aren't that strong is because you haven't made the commitment to work out. Your "academia" excuse is just that, an excuse.

Btw, the reason why you aren't going to get any stronger is because you insist on doing 100s of reps with teeny weight.

Increase the poundage. See the results.

SoleKundalite said:
I haven't researched anything w/ regard to hardly sweating. I think it has to do w/ my body not feeling like it's exerted itself as much.

That's an illogical conclusion. Your body doesn't work this way.

Okay, let's check the list:

Very vague descriptions: check.

Allusion to some sort of energy: check.

No idea about the "established" theories in the field, but still has his own ideas that he KNOWS are different and better and zomg why won't we listen?: check.

Can we just conclude this guy is a crackpot and move on? Browse a martial arts board like Bullshido where they debunk stuff like this on a daily basis. No magic about it.

Let's move on.

I still want to know how someone can take a hard blow to the throat.

It's called adrenaline and muscles. You still have muscles in your throat, even if they aren't big ones. Tensing them though makes for a much better barrier than just regular relaxed muscles.

Adrenaline is a very powerful agent, though. I'm sure all of us guys here have been hit in the testicles either on accident or by some hateful person? Well in a fight, it won't work as well, because the adrenaline WILL mask the pain. That's why womens Self-Defense classes that focus on that one move are total BS.

Let's take a look at this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bv90DtpHTj4

and this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jtz3FoyDM38

Notice how in both cases the fighter doesn't even realize that the leg is broken until he tries to stand on it? The adrenaline during that fight just told his brain "Don't worry about it." until he noticed it himself and them ZOMG IT HURTZ!

Poop-Loops said:
It's called adrenaline and muscles. You still have muscles in your throat, even if they aren't big ones. Tensing them though makes for a much better barrier than just regular relaxed muscles.

Adrenaline is a very powerful agent, though. I'm sure all of us guys here have been hit in the testicles either on accident or by some hateful person? Well in a fight, it won't work as well, because the adrenaline WILL mask the pain. That's why womens Self-Defense classes that focus on that one move are total BS.

Let's take a look at this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bv90DtpHTj4

and this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jtz3FoyDM38

Notice how in both cases the fighter doesn't even realize that the leg is broken until he tries to stand on it? The adrenaline during that fight just told his brain "Don't worry about it." until he noticed it himself and them ZOMG IT HURTZ!

It's not the pain, it's the lack of soft tissue damage that interests me. And the trachea has very little protection via muscles.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/1118.htm

I was once clothes-lined while playing football, which amounts to a hard blow to the throat. This is not something to be taken lightly.

The same goes for some of these breaking stunts. Alright, there are tricks to help make these stunts possible, but to me that doesn't explain how this is ever done more than once by anyone person. I would expect the physical damage to be too severe for the stunt to be repeated. In some cases I don't see how we could even have enough muscle and bone to withstand these stunts without the arm snapping like a twig.

One can waive arms and claim that this is nothing but muscle control, but I still want to know how that is possible.

How can this be quantified?

Last edited:
Bone is stronger than cement when it is inside the body, i.e. not dried up and marrow taken out. That's how you can break bricks and stuff.

Also take note that bricks are brittle and bone is bendy. Not a lot, but have you ever seen someone try to break a FRESH 4x4? They break things that are dried up or brittle.

Breaking bricks, bending frying pans, ripping phone books in half, it's all down to physics, my friend.

Bending frying pan:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2O90vLm7SCI&feature=related

Notice how he doesn't stop mid way but keeps bending? It's to keep the metal warm and easier to bend.

Brick:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i4GB2rAxBN4

Many bricks:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8nmoCTo513M

Besides this being a flashy load of BS, look at the stack of bricks. It's not stacked one on another, they have spacers. That means you are breaking a single brick many times. The one on the bottom? It has the whole stack coming down on it. But also, it's not only his arm or leg, it's his entire body. This guy tries to do it with a 10lb sledge hammer, and is then surprised when he uses all 250+ pounds of himself and it does work? Come on.

Is it easy? Hell no. But there's no magic involved is all I'm saying.

EDIT: Okay, sorry, the 2nd video I posted is such a load of BS it's sickening. Here are some more examples, though:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LF4BLBGRgqk&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lijz5RjQkVc

Last edited:
That last video has a guy who looks like he escaped from the "pimp my gi" thread.

It's a special suit that cultivates Chi. You need to be at LEAST level 40 to wear it.

+5 to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.

-20 to Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.

Poop-Loops said:
Bone is stronger than cement when it is inside the body, i.e. not dried up and marrow taken out. That's how you can break bricks and stuff.

Also take note that bricks are brittle and bone is bendy. Not a lot, but have you ever seen someone try to break a FRESH 4x4? They break things that are dried up or brittle.

Breaking bricks, bending frying pans, ripping phone books in half, it's all down to physics, my friend.

Bending frying pan:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2O90vLm7SCI&feature=related

Notice how he doesn't stop mid way but keeps bending? It's to keep the metal warm and easier to bend.

Brick:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i4GB2rAxBN4

Many bricks:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8nmoCTo513M

Besides this being a flashy load of BS, look at the stack of bricks. It's not stacked one on another, they have spacers. That means you are breaking a single brick many times. The one on the bottom? It has the whole stack coming down on it. But also, it's not only his arm or leg, it's his entire body. This guy tries to do it with a 10lb sledge hammer, and is then surprised when he uses all 250+ pounds of himself and it does work? Come on.

Is it easy? Hell no. But there's no magic involved is all I'm saying.

EDIT: Okay, sorry, the 2nd video I posted is such a load of BS it's sickening. Here are some more examples, though:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LF4BLBGRgqk&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lijz5RjQkVc

First of all, no one is talking about magic here. I have made this clear a number of times already. The question is whether or not we can explain the mechanics of what takes place. Just because we might not be able to explain something, there is no reason to start demanding magic as the only alternative to trickery or illusions.

So far all of you answers have been what we would expect to be the correct explanations, but it also arm waiving. For example, are you an expert on the human throat and the associated muscles? I personally do not understand the proportions involved and have real doubts that we fully understand what's happening here. And unless someone can post some published papers that support or confirm the explanations that we expect to be the correct ones, it is falacious to claim that we have a scientific explanation for what is observed.
http://www.ironpalm.com/Brown.html

Note that in the absence of a formal and published explanation, assuming that we can't find any, some of these stunts might qualify for Randi's challenge. Can Randi provide scientific proof of an explanation for breaking stunts like that pictured below?

Attachments

• Eds16break.jpg
    Eds16break.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 368
Ivan, it's good to see you aren't being drawn into this, just approaching it with an open mind. I wasn't quite sure at first.

The reason I am being so apprehensive against this is because I have 1st hand experience being scammed into it and have been "into" BS martial arts for a while. Yes, I know, anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

But do me a favor and go here:
www.bullshido.net

The website is dedicated to "fighting BS in martial arts", whether it's claims of Chi, claims of secret Interpol missions, or what have you. Many have been debunked there and some even put behind bars for afore mentioned pretending to be an Interpol agent to get students.

You might not like their attitude since the forum is largely unmoderated, but they ARE serious about the "mission" so you can read some of the threads in their main forum here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

And in the Classic Threads forum here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

LOTS of these people are frauds. For example the picture you posted. It's an old grainy photo. Surely you aren't putting that forth as evidence?

The two guys who break stuff (the video I posted) are legit, the only difference being I believe it is simply due to body mechanics and they choose to throw in some jargon on top of it. Which is what it really boils down to. Claiming super powers gets a lot more students than claiming physics and proper body mechanics, like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp0yCP0Emr8&feature=related

Interview with him:
http://www.atomicathletic.com/articles/detail.asp?ArtID=68

It's the exact same principles.

http://www.millenniummartial-arts.com/meaning.html

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=118905&page=12

Do a word search on these sites for "adrenaline" and you'll notice it has references to "Ki", the Japanese term for "Chi". Surprised no one caught on to this earlier since one of the articles was posted in 2004. :rolleyes::rofl:

So if Chi is adrenaline, then it has a mundane explanation and isn't the magic "energy" people talk about. End of story.

Poop-Loops said:
LOTS of these people are frauds. For example the picture you posted. It's an old grainy photo. Surely you aren't putting that forth as evidence?

These stunts are performed on a regular basis. Our own Doc Al personally witnessed a highly trained martial artist take a hard blow to the throat, as he stated earlier.

This is why I suggested Randi's Challenge. If any of dozens of apparently legitimate stunts can be duplicated, then I fail to see how Randi could provide a scientific explanation that is supported by published works. Less cases of obvious fraud, so far the ONLY explanations that I've seen are arm waiving.

Last edited: