Purple squirrel baffles experts

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a purple squirrel nicknamed Pete has become a regular at a school, but no one can explain why it is purple. Some theories include falling into purple paint or dye, or a prank. The conversation also includes a joking accusation of spying and a compliment on a picture of a well-dressed chicken.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since the squirrel, now nicknamed Pete, was first seen, it has become a regular fixture at the school but no one has been able to say whether the animal has fallen into purple paint, had a run-in with some purple dye, or whether there is another explanation...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3884420/Purple-squirrel-baffles-experts.html

squirrel_1210083c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3884420/Purple-squirrel-baffles-experts.html

Physics news on Phys.org
that would make a great prank, so that's my theory.

Hmmm Ivan, spying on chat eh? Lol this little guy was the subject of our Christmas chat.

hypatia said:
Hmmm Ivan, spying on chat eh? Lol this little guy was the subject of our Christmas chat.

Not again! No spying; it was a story linked at Coast to Coast. :biggrin:

Then again, maybe I'm psychic.

I guess I would never have guessed you as the type to be a, psychic purple squirrel reader.:rofl:

I bet Ivan is one-eyed and one-horned too.

Somehow this thread took an ugly turn...:uhh:

Btw, Hypatia, that is the best dressed chicken that I've ever seen. :biggrin:

What is a purple squirrel?

A purple squirrel is a term used to describe an extremely rare phenomenon in the animal kingdom where a squirrel has a genetic mutation that causes it to have purple fur instead of the typical gray or brown.

Why are purple squirrels so rare?

Purple squirrels are rare because they require a specific genetic mutation to occur. This mutation is very rare and can only happen when both parents of the squirrel carry the gene.

How do experts determine if a squirrel is truly purple?

Experts can determine if a squirrel is truly purple by examining its fur under a microscope. The purple color is caused by a lack of the pigment melanin, which can be seen in the fur's structure.

Are purple squirrels harmful to the environment?

No, purple squirrels are not harmful to the environment. They are just a rare natural occurrence and do not have any negative impact on their surroundings.

What other animals have been known to have purple fur?

Aside from squirrels, there have been reports of other animals having purple fur, such as bats, kangaroos, and even a gorilla. However, these occurrences are also very rare and are not as well-documented as purple squirrels.