What is the definition of Lie derivatives?

In summary, the derivative of a differentiable function f with respect to a one-parameter group \varphi on a manifold M is defined as the limit of \frac{\varphi^*_t[f]-f}{t}(x) as t approaches 0. This can also be written as the limit of \frac{f\circ \varphi_x(t)-f\circ \varphi_x(0)}{t} as t approaches 0. The operator D_\varphi is defined as D_\varphi f=\frac{df\circ \varphi}{dt}\bigg|_{t=0}. It is important to note that X(x) is a tangent vector at x and d_xf is a
yifli
Let [itex]\varphi[/itex] be a one-parameter group on a manifold M, and let [itex]f[/itex] be a differentiable function on M, the derivative of f with respect to [itex]\varphi[/itex] is the defined as the limit:

[tex]\lim_{t\to 0} \frac{\varphi^*_t[f]-f}{t}(x)=\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{f\circ \varphi_x(t)-f\circ \varphi_x(0)}{t}=D_{\varphi_x}f=X(x)f,[/tex]
where [itex]X(x)[/itex] is a tangent vector at x and the operator [itex]D_\varphi[/itex] is defined as [itex]D_\varphi f=\frac{df\circ \varphi}{dt}\bigg|_{t=0}[/itex]

I don't understand why [itex]D_{\varphi_x}f=X(x)f[/itex]. According to the chain rule, I would get [itex]D_{\varphi_x}f=d_x f \circ d_0 \varphi(x)=X(x)d_x f[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last expression X(x)d_xf is ill defined, as X(x) is a differential operator on functions on M, whereas d_xf is a 1-form on M.

On the other hand, if you expand [itex]d_xf\circ d_0\varphi(x)[/itex], you get

[tex]\sum_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}\frac{d\varphi^i_x(t)}{dt}(0)=\sum_i \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}X^i(x)[/tex]

which is X(x)f by definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
quasar987 said:
Your last expression X(x)d_xf is ill defined, as X(x) is a differential operator on functions on M, whereas d_xf is a 1-form on M.

On the other hand, if you expand [itex]d_xf\circ d_0\varphi(x)[/itex], you get

[tex]\sum_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}\frac{d\varphi^i_x(t)}{dt}(0)=\sum_i\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}X^i(x)[/tex]

which is X(x)f by definition.

I read the book again and found out it's just the notation they use:
for any differentiable function f defined about x and any tangent vector [itex]\xi[/itex] they set [itex]\xi(f)=D_\varphi(f)[/itex] where [itex]\varphi \in \xi[/itex] (they define a tangent vector as an equivalence class), so [itex]D_{\varphi_x}f=X(x)f[/itex]

@quasar987: The way you expand [itex]d_xf\circ d_0\varphi_x[/itex] is actually the chain rule in Cartesian space, so it is true only if [itex]\varphi:R\rightarrow R^m[/itex] and [itex]f: R^m\rightarrow R[/itex].

Moreover, I just realized it's not correct to use the chain rule in this case:
[tex]\begin{align*}
D_{\varphi_x}f & = \frac{df\circ \varphi_x}{dt}\bigg|_{t=0} (\mbox{definition of } D_\varphi) \\
& = d_xf \circ d_0 \varphi_x (\mbox{not true because f is defined on a manifold, so the differential of f is not } d_xf. )
\end{align*}[/tex]

1. What is the definition of Lie derivatives?

The Lie derivative is a mathematical operation that measures the infinitesimal change of a function along the flow of another function. It is used in differential geometry and is closely related to the concept of a Lie group.

2. How is the Lie derivative denoted?

The Lie derivative is denoted by the symbol $\mathcal{L}_X$, where $X$ is the vector field generating the flow.

3. What is the difference between Lie derivatives and partial derivatives?

Lie derivatives take into account the change of a function along the flow of another function, while partial derivatives only measure the change in one direction. Additionally, the Lie derivative of a function along a vector field does not depend on the choice of coordinates, while partial derivatives do.

4. How is the Lie derivative defined for tensor fields?

The Lie derivative of a tensor field is defined as the tensor field obtained by applying the Lie derivative operation to each component of the tensor field.

5. What are some applications of Lie derivatives?

Lie derivatives are used in many areas of mathematics and physics, including differential geometry, general relativity, and fluid mechanics. They are particularly useful for studying symmetries and conservation laws in these fields.