Evaporation of juice containing carbon

In summary: Thanks for your input!In summary, Trent found that adding powdered charcoal or chunks of porous carbon to juice made it harder to evaporate. He speculated that this was due to the carbon's ability to remove compounds that were unwanted in the juice.
trenthoskings
as a process worker may someone with more technical knowledge answer question below please

1. we have a juice which contains some Carbon.I am finding it harder to evaporate due to the Carbon.Why is juice harder to evaporate with Carbon in it then juice without Carbon?

Cheers

Trent H

Engineering news on Phys.org
trenthoskings said:
we have a juice which contains some Carbon.I am finding it harder to evaporate due to the Carbon.Why is juice harder to evaporate with Carbon in it then juice without Carbon?

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif Hi trenthoskings!

If you are able to give more information, someone might be able to suggest a theory. By "juice" I presume you mean the juice of an edible fruit or vegetable? All such juices contain lots of carbon atoms, along with hydrogen and oxygen and others. I can't imagine that you mean contamination with soot particles, so maybe the lack of responses to your query means that other readers are as mystified as I am.

It sounds an intriguing observation, so can you elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi NascentOxygen

Sorry for late responce.Thanks for your reply

Yes the grape juice had Carbon added to the juice to help remove certain compounds.It was harder to evaporate the juice with the added Carbon then juice without the added Carbon.

The juice was send through a Evaporator using Steam as the heating source.More steam was needed to evaporate the Carbon juice then the non-carbon juice

Thanks

Trent

Hi trenthoskings. So the carbon was what? Powdered charcoal, or chunks of porous carbon? It was allowed to settle out, was it? Or it came to the surface and was skimmed off?

So we can be sure there was really none of this carbon additive itself in what went to the evaporator?

I'm curious to know why grape juice goes to an evaporator? Is this to make a condensed syrup, or what is the final product?

What unwanted compounds are the carbon removing? Are these compounds recovered for industrial use in another part of the factory?

I'll login and look for your reply in about a month's time? :smile:

I can provide an explanation for why juice containing carbon is harder to evaporate than juice without carbon. Carbon is a molecule that is known to have strong intermolecular forces, meaning that the molecules are held together tightly. When juice containing carbon is heated, the energy from the heat is used to break these intermolecular forces and allow the liquid to change into a gas, or evaporate. However, since carbon has strong intermolecular forces, it takes more energy to break them and therefore, it takes longer for the juice to evaporate. This is why juice containing carbon may be harder to evaporate than juice without carbon. Additionally, the presence of carbon may also affect the boiling point of the juice, requiring a higher temperature for it to evaporate. I hope this helps to answer your question.

What is the process of evaporation?

The process of evaporation is the conversion of a liquid into a gas, typically caused by an increase in temperature.

Why does juice containing carbon evaporate faster?

Juice containing carbon, such as carbonated drinks, evaporates faster due to the increased surface area provided by the carbonation bubbles. These bubbles provide a larger surface area for the liquid to be exposed to the air, resulting in faster evaporation.

Does the type of container affect the rate of evaporation?

Yes, the type of container can affect the rate of evaporation. A container with a larger surface area, such as a shallow dish, will result in faster evaporation compared to a narrow container with a smaller surface area.

What factors can affect the rate of evaporation for juice containing carbon?

The rate of evaporation for juice containing carbon can be affected by temperature, humidity, air flow, and surface area. Higher temperatures, lower humidity, and increased air flow will result in faster evaporation, while a smaller surface area will slow down the process.

Does stirring the juice affect the rate of evaporation?

Yes, stirring the juice can affect the rate of evaporation. By stirring, you are exposing more of the liquid to the air, increasing the surface area and resulting in faster evaporation.