Chromium/Vanadiam Sublimation or Melting

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of depositing chromium and vanadium in UHV and determining whether the materials will melt or sublimate. The speaker believes that the materials will not sublimate, but rather change from solid to liquid to vapor. They also mention the possibility of sublimation before reaching the melting point due to a rise in vapor pressure.
citw
I have a pretty stupid question that I hope someone can answer. I'm trying to deposit chromium and vanadium in UHV, and I need to determine whether each of the materials will "melt" or "sublimate" so that I know the volume to fill my crucible. My impression is that these materials will generally not sublimate, but change from solid to liquid to vapor. Is this correct? If I'm not providing enough information please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the metals will melt before boiling. You may see sublimation (e.g. metal multilayer formation on your target) before you reach the melting point, because the vapour pressure will rise dramatically as the mp is approached.

Likes 1 person

1. What is sublimation?

Sublimation is the process in which a solid substance transitions directly into a gas phase without going through a liquid phase.

2. How does sublimation occur in chromium and vanadium?

In chromium and vanadium, sublimation occurs when the solid form of the element is heated to a high enough temperature that it turns into a gas without melting into a liquid first.

3. What is the melting point of chromium and vanadium?

The melting point of chromium is 1,907 degrees Celsius and the melting point of vanadium is 1,910 degrees Celsius.

4. Can chromium and vanadium be melted without sublimation?

Yes, it is possible to melt chromium and vanadium without sublimation by heating the solid form of the element to its melting point and maintaining that temperature.

5. What are the uses of sublimation in relation to chromium and vanadium?

Sublimation is used in the purification and extraction of chromium and vanadium from their ores. It is also used in the production of thin films and coatings for various industrial and technological applications.