What are Negative Reaction Orders and How Do They Affect Reaction Rates?

In summary, the professor told me that negative reaction orders are possible and that they correspond to a negative reaction order in an elementary step.
MathewsMD
We were just going over examples of reaction orders in class and I was told 2 things:

1.) Negative reaction orders are possible
2.) An order of 0 says the reaction rate is independent of the reactant concentration(s)

I had a few questions, though.

1.) What exactly constitutes a negative order reaction if reaction orders are determined by the RDS in elementary steps? Are reactants being produced when the forward reaction occurs? What exactly is going on for this to occur?

2.) If the order of the reaction is 0, but one reactant has an order of -1/2 and the other 1/2, doesn't this still mean that the reaction rate is dependent on reactant concentration despite having an overall order of 0?

Any clarification please? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Maybe you need to clarify if these statements refer to overall rate laws or order with respect to some participant.

Overall rate laws are determined by experiment and can get very freaky and complicated when all is said and done.

See the Wikipedia article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_reaction

Or refer to a decent physical chemistry text for more info.

Yanick said:
Maybe you need to clarify if these statements refer to overall rate laws or order with respect to some participant.

Overall rate laws are determined by experiment and can get very freaky and complicated when all is said and done.

See the Wikipedia article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_reaction

Or refer to a decent physical chemistry text for more info.

Both, for elementary steps and the overall reaction order. I was told in class, with no specific reference even after speaking with the professor, that negative reaction orders are possible (i.e. -1/2). This is only possible if the elementary step also has a negative order, correct? I'm just unsure on how a reaction proceeding in the forward direction could have a negative order. Any clarification please since for elementary steps, the order is related to the reactant coefficients, and the reactant must be produced in order for the forward reaction to have a negative reaction order, correct?

I certainly don't know every single possibility that can occur in kinetics but my gut tells me that for an elementary step you shouldn't have negative reaction orders since the coefficients are the exponents. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help for the elementary step case. For an overall rate law I can see non integer as well as negative orders being possible because overall rate laws, as I mentioned, can be freaky looking.

Think about what [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=k x^{-1} [/itex] means. It doesn't mean that anything necessarily goes backwards, just that the instantaneous change of y as a function of time gets smaller as x gets larger.

A full rate equation may include concentration not only of 'reactants' but of products (this may be, but not necessarily, full back-reaction) and they will usually be in the denominator of the equation for rate of the forward reaction, so could be said to correspond to a negative reaction order. And in this sense must be more rule than exception.

But don't worry about such things beyond maybe first, second and zero orders, worry about mechanisms and the equations they generate, or about observed kinetics and the inferences therefrom of mechanism. If you come to examples you come to them, but otherwise it would be a slightly wordish preoccupation IMHO. :smile:

What is a negative reaction order?

A negative reaction order refers to the relationship between the rate of a chemical reaction and the concentration of a reactant. In a negative reaction order, the rate of the reaction decreases as the concentration of the reactant increases.

What causes a negative reaction order?

A negative reaction order can be caused by various factors such as the presence of inhibitors, a decrease in temperature, or a decrease in surface area for the reactants to collide. It can also occur in certain types of complex reactions where the rate is determined by the concentration of an intermediate product.

How is a negative reaction order determined?

A negative reaction order can be determined experimentally by measuring the rate of the reaction at different concentrations of the reactant. The data is then plotted on a graph, and if the rate decreases as the concentration increases, it indicates a negative reaction order.

What is the significance of a negative reaction order?

A negative reaction order can have significant implications in industrial processes and environmental systems. It can help in controlling the rate of reactions and reducing unwanted byproducts. It can also provide insight into the mechanisms of complex reactions.

Can a negative reaction order be reversed?

No, a negative reaction order cannot be reversed. However, the rate of the reaction can be increased by changing the conditions such as temperature, pressure, or the presence of a catalyst. These changes can shift the reaction towards a more favorable direction and result in a positive reaction order.