Toys & Gadgets Involving Thermodynamics & Electricity

• Thread starter franz32
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various toys and gadgets that involve thermodynamics and electricity. The website scitoys.com is mentioned as a resource for making such toys, and the concept of a light energy ball is brought up as well. Another toy called "harbor putt-putt" boats, which run on the steam produced by a votive candle, is also mentioned. These can be found on the website sciplus.com at a relatively low cost.
franz32
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know what sites show how to make toys that involve thermodynamics or electricity?

I know one, www.scitoys.com[/URL]

Or, does anyone know of any toy or gadget that interestingly uses thermodynamics or electircity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for that GREAT site! Unfortunately I do not know any other ones for you.

Cheers,
Freek Suyver.

Light energy ball

Hmmm, this time I thinking of something...

Does anyone know about the toy light energy ball? I find it very interesting but it seems not to be very easy as it seems.

It looks like a plastic ball with two metal contacts inside it. It glows when one touches the ball.

What makes me wonder is that how does the ball glow just by touching it? Speaking of which, does anyone know how to make one?

Originally posted by franz32
does anyone know of any toy or gadget that interestingly uses thermodynamics or electircity?

There are these old toys that are available through "American Science and Surplus"
www.sciplus.com

The toy is called something like "harbor putt-putt" boats. THey are small tin tugboats that run on a small votive candle that boils water in a chamber. LIttle bursts of steam are forced through the tail pipes and the boats motor around whatever body of water you got.

The same source has other things too, but these little boats are pretty cheap.

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to toys and gadgets?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. In toys and gadgets, thermodynamics is used to understand the transfer and conversion of energy, as well as the behavior of materials at different temperatures.

2. How do thermodynamics and electricity work together in toys and gadgets?

Electricity is a form of energy that can be used to power toys and gadgets. Thermodynamics helps us understand how this energy is converted and transferred within the device, allowing it to function properly.

3. What types of toys and gadgets use thermodynamics and electricity?

Many types of toys and gadgets use thermodynamics and electricity, including electronic toys, remote-controlled cars, and household appliances like refrigerators and air conditioners.

4. Can thermodynamics and electricity be used to make toys and gadgets more efficient?

Yes, understanding thermodynamics and electricity can help engineers design more efficient toys and gadgets. By optimizing the energy transfer and conversion processes, devices can be made to use less energy and perform better.

5. How can I incorporate thermodynamics and electricity into a toy or gadget project?

To incorporate thermodynamics and electricity into a toy or gadget project, you can start by understanding the basic principles of these concepts and how they relate to your project. You can then experiment with different materials and designs to optimize energy transfer and conversion, and potentially make your device more efficient.