Deriving the hydrostatic equilibrium equation.

In summary, the minimum pressure of a star is given by: Gravitational force towards center = \frac{GM(r)\delta M(r)}{r^2} Pressure force outwards = (P(r)-P(r+\delta r))\delta A = \delta P (r)\delta A \rho (r) where \delta M(r) = \delta A\delta r \rho(r) and \rho (r) = \frac{M(r)}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3}
Brewer
A question asks for me to show that the minimum pressure of a star is given by:
[tex]P_{min}=\frac{GM^2}{8\pi R^4}[/tex]

where M and R are the mass and radius of the star.

My answer goes like this:
Gravitational force towards center = [tex]\frac{GM(r)\delta M(r)}{r^2}[/tex]
Pressure force outwards = [tex](P(r)-P(r+\delta r))\delta A = \delta P (r)\delta A[/tex]
[tex]\delta M(r) = \delta A\delta r \rho (r)[/tex]

In equilibrium Gravitational up + Pressure down = 0

:. [tex]\frac{GM(r) \delta A \delta r \rho (r)}{r^2} + \delta P (r)\deltaA = 0[/tex]
[tex]\delta P(r) = - \frac{GM(r) \rho (r) \delta r}{r^2}[/tex]
as [tex]\rho (r) = \frac{M(r)}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3}[/tex]
:. [tex]\delta P(r) = \frac{-GM(r)M(r) \delta r}{\frac{4}{3} \pi r^5}[/tex]

after reducing [tex]\delta[/tex] to zero and integrating, I end up with:
[tex]P(r) = \frac{3G(M(r))^2}{16\pi r^4}[/tex]

The minimum pressure will be when at r=R, so the variables will check out, but I still have incorrect constants. Can you spot anywhere I've gone wrong, or an incorrect assumption in this derivation?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to go back and edit some of your LaTeX as some of it is hidden or didn't show up right.

I think this is it. Well I hope so anyway.

I am very sure that there's a coefficient of "3" missing in the expression for core pressure you're supposed to derive, please check the question.

You have the right concept, but your derivation assumes that m is independent of r. This is not correct. Assume a uniform density [tex]\rho[/tex]

Then the mass m enclosed by a spherical shell of radius r measured from the core is given by :

[tex]m = \frac{4}{3}\pi \rho r^3[/tex] --(1)

Differentiate that (you'll see why in a minute)

[tex]dm = 4\pi \rho r^2 dr[/tex] --(2)

The inward gravitational force at a point distance r from the core is given by :

[tex]F_G = \frac{Gmdm}{r^2} = \frac{16}{3}\pi^2 G \rho^2 r^3 dr[/tex]

which you get by substituting (1) and (2). Note that use is made of the fact that the uniform spherical shell beyond r contributes nothing to the gravitational field at r, a well-known result that is not proved here.

You have a pressure p that decreases uniformly as you travel outward from the center. The nett outward pressure exerted on the spherical shell at distance r from the core is given by (-dp). The area of the spherical shell is simply [tex]4\pi r^2[/tex]

Hence the nett force outward due to pressure is given by

[tex]F_P = -Adp = -4\pi r^2 dp[/tex]

For equilibrium, [tex]F_P = F_G[/tex] giving

[tex]-4\pi r^2 dp = \frac{16}{3}\pi^2 G \rho^2 r^3 dr[/tex]
[tex]dp = -\frac{4}{3}\pi G \rho^2 r dr[/tex]

The pressure at the exterior of the star (radius R) will be zero, hence

[tex]\int_0^P dp = -\int_R^0 \frac{4}{3}\pi G \rho^2 r dr[/tex]

which will yield

[tex]P = \frac{2}{3}\pi R^2 G \rho^2[/tex]

since you know that [tex]M = \frac{4}{3}\pi R^3 \rho[/tex], do the algebra to get

[tex]P = \frac{3GM^2}{8\pi R^4}[/tex]

which is the stellar pressure at the core.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Brewer said:
Thank you.

You're welcome. :smile:

What is the hydrostatic equilibrium equation?

The hydrostatic equilibrium equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that describes the balance of forces in a static fluid system. It states that the pressure gradient within a fluid is equal to the weight density of the fluid times the acceleration due to gravity.

How is the hydrostatic equilibrium equation derived?

The hydrostatic equilibrium equation can be derived from the fundamental principles of mechanics and fluid mechanics, including Newton's second law of motion, the equation of continuity, and the definition of pressure. The derivation involves balancing the forces acting on a small volume element of fluid and setting them equal to zero, resulting in the hydrostatic equilibrium equation.

What is the significance of the hydrostatic equilibrium equation?

The hydrostatic equilibrium equation is essential in understanding the behavior of fluids, such as water and air, in various systems and environments. It is used in many fields, including meteorology, oceanography, and engineering, to analyze and predict the properties and movements of fluids in different situations.

What are the assumptions made in deriving the hydrostatic equilibrium equation?

The derivation of the hydrostatic equilibrium equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, non-viscous, and at rest. It also assumes that the gravitational force is constant and that the fluid is in a uniform gravitational field. Additionally, the equation assumes that the fluid is in a state of hydrostatic equilibrium, meaning that there is no acceleration or movement within the fluid.

Can the hydrostatic equilibrium equation be applied to all fluids?

No, the hydrostatic equilibrium equation is only applicable to fluids that are in a state of hydrostatic equilibrium and follow the assumptions made in its derivation. This equation does not apply to flowing fluids or those with significant viscosity. However, it can be modified to account for some of these factors in certain situations.