How to Derive the Reduced Mass Formula for Inertia between Two Atoms?

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the reduced mass formula for the inertia between two atoms with a bond length of r. The formula is proven to be inertia = (reduced mass)r^2, and the speaker is having difficulties with it. The link provided may be helpful and there is a discussion about the 2 body problem and the moment of inertia. The formula is derived using the mass of the two bodies, their distances from the center of mass, and the bond length. The final formula is I=reduced mass*r^2.
Jex
Does anyone know how to actually derive the reduced mass formula? I have to prove the formula: inertia = (reduced mass)r^2 and am having some difficulties.

To be more specific I'm working with the inertia between to atoms where r is the bond length.

Any help with this is much appreciated, really.

Physics news on Phys.org
are you talking about the 2 body problem or the moment of inertial? if you are talking about the moment, then around which axis is it calculated? the axis orthogonal to the plane of rotation and at the center of mass of the system?

if it is what i think it is, then:
let a=r1, b=r2, a+b=r, m be the mass of the first body, M be the mass of the second body, and r be the bond length:
[itex]I=ma^2+Mb^2[/itex]
relative to the center of mass:
[itex]ma=Mb[/itex]
[itex]I=(ma)a+(Mb)b[/itex]
[itex]I=ma(a+b)=mar[/itex]
[itex]a=r-b=r-ma/M[/itex]
[itex]a(1+m/M)=r[/itex]
[itex]I=mar={m\over{(1+m/M)}}r^2[/itex]
so
I=reduced mass*r^2

Last edited:

Question 1: What is the definition of reduced mass?

The reduced mass is a quantity used in the calculation of the motion of two bodies that are orbiting around each other. It is the effective mass of one body in the presence of the other, taking into account the gravitational force between them.

Question 2: How is reduced mass calculated?

The reduced mass is calculated by taking the ratio of the product of the masses of the two bodies divided by the sum of their masses. This can be represented as Mred = (m1m2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies.

Question 3: What is the significance of reduced mass?

The reduced mass is significant because it simplifies the equations of motion for two bodies orbiting around each other. It allows us to treat the system as if it were one body orbiting around a fixed point, making calculations and predictions easier.

Question 4: How is reduced mass used in the study of celestial bodies?

Reduced mass is used in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and moons, to determine their orbital motions. By knowing the reduced mass of the system, scientists can accurately calculate the period, velocity, and distance of the orbiting bodies.

Question 5: Can reduced mass be negative?

No, reduced mass cannot be negative. It is a positive value that is always smaller than the mass of either individual body in the system. This is because the gravitational force between two bodies is always attractive, resulting in a positive reduced mass.