Self-Studying Higher Level Math, Physics & Chemistry: Resources & Textbooks

In summary, there are plenty of self-study textbooks available for higher level math, physics, and chemistry subjects, such as real analysis, abstract algebra, vector calculus, basic quantum mechanics, and electromagnetics. These textbooks often come with detailed solutions to problems. However, it may be beneficial to also ask instructors of these courses for recommended textbooks and utilize college libraries for additional resources. Additionally, there are many free class notes and old journals available online for self-study. While self-studying can be effective, having an instructor to provide feedback and facilitate classroom discussion may be more beneficial in learning these subjects.
Simfish
Gold Member
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linalg.html/

Something like the above textbook, with plenty of detailed solutions to all of the problems. The thing is, as you go higher in level, you also find fewer solutions manuals and study guides that can make studying higher level subjects far easier.

So does anyone know of any really helpful self-studying textbooks for any of the higher level math, physics, or chemistry subjects? Subjects like real analysis, abstract algebra, vector calculus, basic quantum mechanics and electromagnetics?

And I'm one of those people who does better self-studying the material than taking the courses at college.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, you can't beat the college courses where you have instructor feedback and classroom discussion.

I suppose your best bet in learning the material on your own would be to go to a college library. They have a wealth of information and books there.

Simfishy said:
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linalg.html/

Something like the above textbook, with plenty of detailed solutions to all of the problems. The thing is, as you go higher in level, you also find fewer solutions manuals and study guides that can make studying higher level subjects far easier.

So does anyone know of any really helpful self-studying textbooks for any of the higher level math, physics, or chemistry subjects? Subjects like real analysis, abstract algebra, vector calculus, basic quantum mechanics and electromagnetics?

And I'm one of those people who does better self-studying the material than taking the courses at college.
Why not ask the instructors of those courses what textbooks they use?
:smile: Then self-study from those~

the best books cost soemthing, but they are cheap, like a adrian Albert, fundamentals of higher algebra, is available sued for $1.

and c.h. sah, abstarct algebra, is available cheap, as is van der waerden modern algebra.

the notes on the webpage of james milne, are free and are excellent in my opinion, in math.

i also like my own notes on my webpage, and there are lots of others. just search the web for free class notes in various topics.

lots of old journal;s are also available free on the web so you might even find papers by einstein and others for free.

i agree though that learning from a person who knoiws and will take time to help you and explain to you is far quicker and better than self elarning. i have spent my whole life trying to learn by myself stuff i failed to pay attention to in class or never had.

1. What are the benefits of self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry?

Self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on specific topics that interest them. It also allows for greater flexibility in scheduling and can be a more cost-effective option than traditional classroom learning. Additionally, self-studying can improve critical thinking skills and self-discipline.

2. What are some recommended resources for self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry?

Some recommended resources for self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry include textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to join online communities or forums where you can ask questions and discuss topics with others who are also self-studying.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry?

To stay motivated while self-studying, it is important to set realistic goals, create a study schedule, and reward yourself for reaching milestones. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Additionally, taking breaks and finding ways to make the subjects interesting and relevant to your life can also help with motivation.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that can be used for self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry?

Some effective study techniques for self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry include creating flashcards, summarizing key concepts, and practicing with past exams or quizzes. It can also be helpful to teach the material to someone else or to use mnemonic devices to remember important information.

5. How can I ensure I am understanding the material while self-studying higher level math, physics, and chemistry?

To ensure understanding while self-studying, it is important to regularly test yourself with practice problems and quizzes. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources or explanations if you are struggling with a particular concept. Additionally, discussing the material with others or teaching it to someone else can also help solidify your understanding.