Learn Basic Trigonometry Formulas for Right Triangles | Physics Class Help

• Thread starter Revolver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for sin, cos, and tan, and how to use them to solve for angles and sides in a right triangle. Different mnemonics and methods for remembering the trigonometric functions are mentioned.
Revolver
I haven't had precalc 2 yet, so I'm not too familiar with sin, cos, tan, but I need this for my physics class.

So if you guys don't mind giving me the formulas of sin, cos, and tan.. for example: Sin angle A = width/length etc. If I have a right triangle with a hypotonuse of 7, and an angle of 35 degrees, what is the angle, and the other side.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of people like this little device:

SOHCAHTOA
Sin = Opposite/Hypotenuse SOH
Cos = Adjacent/Hypotenuse CAH
Tan = Opposite/Adjacent TOA

SOHCAHTOA...

sin = opposite/hypotenus

cos = adjacent/hypotenus

tan = opposite/adjacent

You should be able to figure it out from here...

OK MathIsHard... we were typing at the same time and your spelling is better than mine...

oops, sorry, Doc! :redface:

Well here's a question.. how do you know which is the opposite and which is the adjacent? Let's say you are given a triangle with sides of 4, 5 and 6, and you are required to find the angles.. how do you know which method to use?

I was taught that it was 'CHIEF' SOHCAHTOA !

I was taught reading down the columns

Oscar Sally
Has

A Can
Hairy

Old Tell
A$$

Trig functions work on Right triangles. H is the hypotenuse, that is the side opposite the right angle. The other 2 angles have an Adjacent side and an Opposite side. That is the opposite and Adjacent in the trig definitions.

(i know this thread is a little dated, but still nice for reference :smile:)
I was taught "Some Old Horse Came A Hoppin' Through Our Alley" ,
using the first letters of each word will give you this

sin = Some Old Horse (sin = opposite/hypotenuse)
cos = Came A Hoppin' (cos = adjacent/hypotenuse)
tan = Through Our Alley (tan = opposite/adjacent)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common formulas used in science?

Some common formulas used in science include the quadratic formula, the Pythagorean theorem, Newton's second law of motion, and the ideal gas law.

2. How do you determine which formula to use for a specific problem?

The formula used for a specific problem depends on the variables involved and the desired outcome. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and identify the relevant variables before selecting a formula.

3. Can you explain the significance of the formula in scientific research?

Formulas are essential in scientific research as they provide a quantitative way to describe and analyze phenomena. They allow us to make predictions and test hypotheses, leading to a better understanding of the natural world.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of formulas in your research?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to carefully check and double-check calculations and use validated formulas from reputable sources. It is also crucial to understand the limitations and assumptions of the formula and consider potential sources of error.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding and using formulas in science?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as textbooks, online calculators, and scientific databases. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the specific field of study for guidance and clarification.