Rotating integrals and circles

In summary, The conversation is about finding the solution for a question involving rotating a given equation about the x-axis. The person is seeking help in setting up the integral and getting a solution in order to review and better understand how to solve similar questions in the future. A hint is given to use the y-axis and the conversation ends with a suggestion to use a substitution to solve the problem.
lemurs
kay had a question which i got zero on and now trying to figure out how the hell to do the question.

Given x^2 + (y-1)^2 =1 rotated about the x-axis.

if i could get the solution so i can review it so i can have a better idea how to do it on the mid term.

Hint:, I was told to do with respect to the y-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
So how do you set up the integral?

well that part of the stuff that confused me.

I set it upas
x = sqrt(1- (y-1)^2)

so my intergral becomes

from 0-2 2(pi) y sqrt(2y - Y^2).

but given that. we end up with a nasty integration... I tryed to get help form soem one but we vouldn't figure it out..

That's right. Try the substitution u=y-1. You'll end up with the sum of two integrals, one you can do by another substitution and the other you can do just knowing the area of a circle.

1. What is a rotating integral?

A rotating integral is a type of integral where the limits of integration are defined by a curve or circle that is rotated around a specific axis. This type of integral is commonly used in physics and engineering applications.

2. How do you set up a rotating integral?

To set up a rotating integral, you first need to determine the axis of rotation and the curve or circle that will be rotated. Then, you need to express the function you want to integrate in terms of the rotation variable. Finally, you can set up the integral by using the appropriate limits of integration based on the angle of rotation.

3. What is the purpose of using a rotating integral?

The purpose of using a rotating integral is to find the volume, surface area, or other properties of a solid of revolution. This type of integral allows you to calculate these properties by rotating a curve or circle around an axis and integrating over the resulting shape.

4. What are the different methods for evaluating rotating integrals?

There are two main methods for evaluating rotating integrals: the disk method and the shell method. The disk method involves slicing the solid into thin disks perpendicular to the axis of rotation, while the shell method involves slicing the solid into thin cylindrical shells parallel to the axis of rotation. Both methods can be used to evaluate rotating integrals, but the choice often depends on the shape of the solid.

5. Are there any real-world applications of rotating integrals?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of rotating integrals. Some examples include calculating the volume of a wine barrel, finding the surface area of a revolving door, and determining the moment of inertia of a rotating object. Rotating integrals are also commonly used in engineering and physics to model and analyze rotating systems such as turbines and gears.