What is the solution to the limit problem LIM N-> infinity (n/n+3)^(2n)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problems of finding the limit as n approaches infinity for (1 + 5/n)^(4n) and (n/n+3)^(2n). It is shown that the limit for the first problem is e^20 and for the second problem is e^-6. The mistake in the calculation is explained and the correct approach is provided.
CalculusSandwich
Ok, so I have the problem lim n-> infinity (1 +5/n)^(4n)

So looking at it without trying anything I can see for n arbitrarily large 5/n goes to 0. That means (1+0)^(infinity). One to the power of any real number is one. However by looking at the definition of e as x->infinity I can say (1+ 1/x)^x=e^1

So (1+5/x)^(4x)= e^5*4 or e^20, which is not quite one. Where am I going wrong here?

Also I have the problem lim n-> infinity (n/n+3)^2n . I can same the same thing here as n tends to go to infinity I would have infinity over infinity which is 1? so one raised to infinity is one. I know I am incorrect in this assumption but why?

How would I go on solving this problem?

LIM N-> infinity
(N/N+3)^(2N) =

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] e^{x} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\left(1+\frac{x}{n}\right)^{n}[/tex]

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (1+\frac{5}{n})^{4n} = \left[\left(1+\frac{5}{n}\right)^{n}\right]^{4} = e^{20} [/tex]
[tex] \left(\frac{n}{n+3}\right)^{2n} = \left[\left(\frac{n}{n+3}\right)^{n}\right]^{2} [/tex]

Last edited:
Note that:
[tex](\frac{n}{n+3})^{2n}=(1+\frac{-3}{n+3})^{2(n+3)-6}}=(1+\frac{-3}{n+3})^{-6}*(1+\frac{-3}{n+3})^{2(n+3)}=K_{n}*((1+\frac{-3}{u})^{u})^{2}, K_{n}=(1+\frac{-3}{n+3})^{-6}, u=n+3[/tex]

Last edited:
CalculusSandwich said:

So looking at it without trying anything I can see for n arbitrarily large 5/n goes to 0. That means (1+0)^(infinity). One to the power of any real number is one. However by looking at the definition of e as x->infinity I can say (1+ 1/x)^x=e^1
"infinity" is not a real number so "One to the power of any real number is one" is irrelevant in talking about "[itex]1^\infty[/itex]" which is really just shorthand for the limit as the exponent gets larger without bound.

So (1+5/x)^(4x)= e^5*4 or e^20, which is not quite one. Where am I going wrong here?
"Here" you are not doing anything wrong, except leaving out the "limit" part.
(1+ 5/x)^(4x)= ((1+ 5/x)^x)^4. If you let y= x/5, then x= 5y so (1+ 5/x)^x= (1+ 1/y)^(5y)= ((1+ 1/y)^y)^5. That is, for all x, (1+ 5/x)^(4x)= (((1+ 1/y)^y)^5)^4. Clearly, y goes to infinity as x does (more precisely y increases without bound as x does) so the limit (1+ 5/x)^(4x)= lim(((1+ 1/y)^y)^5)^4= e^20 just as you say. There is no reason to think that it should be 1.

Also I have the problem lim n-> infinity (n/n+3)^2n . I can same the same thing here as n tends to go to infinity I would have infinity over infinity which is 1? so one raised to infinity is one. I know I am incorrect in this assumption but why?
"Infinity over infinity" is NOT 1! Just as "infinity" is not a number so "infinity over infinity" is not a number. The limit depends upon HOW the numerator and denominator go to infinity. For example, 5n/n, as n goes to infinity gives the form "infinity over infinity" but the limit is clearly 5. For a any real number, an/n gives "infinity over infinity" but the limit is clearly a.

How would I go on solving this problem?

LIM N-> infinity
(N/N+3)^(2N) =

I would rewrite it as [itex]\left(\frac{n}{n+3}\right)^{2n}= \left(\frac{n+3}{n}\right)^{-2n}[/itex][itex]= \left(\left(1+ \frac{3}{n}\right)^n\right)^{-2}[/itex]
Now that's exactly like the one before.

Last edited by a moderator:
CalculusSandwich said:

I'll try to explain in two parts:

PART 1:

When you examined the sequence [itex]c_{n}=1+ \frac{5}{n}[/itex] you correctly calculated the limit as 1 by doing the following:

[tex]\lim c_{n} = \lim 1 + \lim \frac{5}{n} = 1+0 = 1[/tex]

Here, you correctly applied theorem 3 from
http://imai.princeton.edu/teaching/files/sequences.pdf

[tex]\lim a_{n}+\lim b_{n}=a+b[/tex] with [tex]\lim a_{n}=a[/tex] and [tex]\lim b_{n}=b[/tex]

PART 2:

Now comes where you went wrong. Your sequence is

[tex]d_{n}= \left(1+ \frac{5}{n} \right)^{4n}=\left(c_{n} \right)^{4n}[/tex]

You then calculated the limit the following (wrong) way:

[tex]\lim d_{n}=\lim \left(c_{n} \right) ^{4n} =\lim \left( \lim c_{n} \right)^{4n}= \lim \left(1 \right) ^{4n} = 1[/tex]

The mistake is that you have assumed that

[tex]\lim \left(a_{n} \right)^{b_{n}} = \lim a^{b_{n}}[/tex] with [tex]\lim a_{n}=a[/tex]

is a theorem, which is obviously not.

Thus, unlike in PART 1 where you correctly used a theorem you didn't use a theorem in PART 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply's I got it, for the 2nd problem I get e^-6 which is believe is right.

Great replies ty.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a specific value, without ever actually reaching it.

2. How is a limit calculated?

A limit is calculated by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to the desired input value, and observing the resulting output values. If the outputs approach a specific value as the inputs get closer, then that value is the limit.

3. What is a series?

A series is a sum of terms, usually infinite, that can be written in a specific pattern. Each term in the series is added to the previous one, and the resulting sum represents the value of the series.

4. How is a series evaluated?

A series is evaluated by determining the pattern of the terms and using mathematical techniques such as the limit of a sequence or the ratio test to determine whether the series converges or diverges. If the series converges, the sum of all the terms can be calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits and series?

Limits and series have many real-world applications, including in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, limits can be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function, while series can be used to model the growth or decay of a population or the value of an investment over time.