Driver reaction time, with negative acceleration

In summary, the reaction time of an average automobile driver is 0.700 seconds. Using an acceleration of 12.0 ft/s^2, the total distance covered in coming to a stop after a signal is observed is 6.1468 meters from an initial velocity of 15.0 mi/h in a school zone and 294.1176 meters from an initial velocity of 55.0 mi/h. For the second scenario, if the motorist's reaction time is 1.62541 seconds, he will be traveling at 18 m/s when he reaches the deer.
Spydermonkey

Homework Statement

The "reaction time" of the average automobile driver is about 0.700 . (The reaction time is the interval between the perception of a signal to stop and the application of the brakes.) If an automobile can slow down with an acceleration of 12.0 , compute the total distance covered in coming to a stop after a signal is observed (a) from an initial velocity of 15.0 (in a school zone) and (b) from an initial velocity of 55.0 .
x=?
xo=?
vx=0, point at which you are stopped
vxo=15 mi/h initial speed
ax=-12 ft/s^2
t=?

Homework Equations

v=d/t
vx^2=vxo^2+2ax(x-xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty much lost, I tried converting everything to meters as that is what the answers call for, and got the equation

vx^2-vxo/2ax= (0)^2 -(6.7056)^2/ 2(-3.6576)= 6.1468 meters

Physics news on Phys.org
Take x0=0, split the motion into two parts; before the driver brakes, and when the driver brakes and thus decelerates. You can calculate the distance for the first part with your first equation, and the second part with your second equation.

cristo said:
Take x0=0, split the motion into two parts; before the driver brakes, and when the driver brakes and thus decelerates. You can calculate the distance for the first part with your first equation, and the second part with your second equation.

I think the first part is not meant to be figured out, as it is the time before the signal was noticed, and I am supposed to measure only the second portion? Or am I just completely confused about what it is asking?

I meant that you have two parts contributing to the distance.
1. The signal has been noticed, and the driver is responding. Here the car is traveling at constant velocity, and so the distance can be found through x=vt.
2. The driver has applied the brakes. Here, the vehicle is declerating constantly and you can use the formula v2=v02+2ax to find the distance.

Thanks, I will try plugging my values into those equations.

crud, I don't know t though.

For the first equation, t will be the reaction time of the driver. The second part does not need time.

So basically x=10.5 mi/h/s or 4.69 meters/s^2.

Your units are not correct. The units for distance will be either miles or metres. Convert everything into metres, seconds, and metres per second before you plug into equations.

When I converted I got 4.69 meters per second squared.

Your numerical answer is correct, but your units are not. Note that [tex]x=vt\Rightarrow [m]=[m/s][/tex] Where [ ] denotes units. Note that the units of time cancel out on the right hand side, and so the units for distance are metres.

I will have at it for awhile, if I have any other questions I will pop in again, thanks.

a motorist is traveling at 18 m/s when he sees a deer in the road 49 m ahead. if the maximum negative acceleration of the vehicle is -7m/s^2, what is the maximum reaction time (t) of the motorist that will allow him to avoid hitting the deer?

If his reaction time is 1.62541 s, how fast will he be traveling when he reaches the deer?

a motorist is traveling at 18 m/s when he sees a deer in the road 49 m ahead. if the maximum negative acceleration of the vehicle is -7m/s^2, what is the maximum reaction time (t) of the motorist that will allow him to avoid hitting the deer?

If his reaction time is 1.62541 s, how fast will he be traveling when he reaches the deer?the original formula i s used is: vf^2 = vi^2+2ad and (a-a)/d=t

1. What is driver reaction time?

Driver reaction time is the amount of time it takes for a driver to respond to a stimulus or a change in their environment while driving.

2. How is driver reaction time measured?

Driver reaction time is typically measured by the time it takes for a driver to see a stimulus, process the information, and initiate a response such as braking or steering.

3. What factors affect driver reaction time?

There are several factors that can affect driver reaction time, including age, fatigue, distractions, and impairments such as alcohol or drugs.

4. What is meant by negative acceleration?

Negative acceleration, also known as deceleration, is the rate at which the speed of an object decreases. In the context of driver reaction time, this refers to the decrease in speed of a vehicle when the driver applies the brakes in response to a stimulus.

5. How can negative acceleration impact driver reaction time?

A high rate of negative acceleration, or sudden deceleration, can significantly impact driver reaction time. This is because the driver must quickly process the change in speed and adjust their response accordingly, which can take longer than a gradual decrease in speed.