Kinetic Energy/Circular Motion and figuring out point charges

In summary, the conversation is about a model airplane flying in a circular path with a guideline. The guideline breaks at different kinetic energy levels depending on the presence of point charges at each end. The magnitude of these charges can be found by using the force equation and solving for the charge. One person struggled with finding the force and realized they had made a mistake in their calculations. Another person is also working on the same problem and is asking for help with the steps.
succubus
For the life of me I can't seem to get this problem.

An electrically neutral model airplane is flying in a horizontal circle in a 3m guideline, which is nearly parallel to the floor. The line breaks when the Kinetic energy is 50J. Now, reconsider the same situation, except now there is a point charge of +q and -q on either ends of the guideline. The line now breaks when the KE is 51.8 J. Find the magnitude of the charges.

I tried relating v2 = Fr/m, and equating that to v2=2(KE)/m so Fr/m = 2(deltaKE)/m and got a force of 1.2 N. I figure I have to find the force before I can find the point charge, but I can't seem to find the force. When I worked backward from the solution, the force turned out to be around 7x10(4) N. Which makes more sense. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I completely agree with your derivation of the force change being 1.2N. What is the 'solution'?

The answer is 3.5x10(-5) C

I get that this charge corresponds to a force of about 1.2N at a distance of 3m. I think the problem is in the "working backwards" part.

I figured it out. I was dividing by two for some reason, and then realized I had to square root the answer. Thanks for your help :)

I actually am working on this exact problem and can't figure out what to do. Is there a possibility you could type out the steps of approaching this problem?? That would be great!

1. What is kinetic energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How does kinetic energy relate to circular motion?

In circular motion, an object is constantly changing its direction and therefore, its velocity. This means that the object is constantly accelerating and thus, has kinetic energy. The amount of kinetic energy in circular motion depends on the mass of the object, its velocity, and the radius of its circular path.

3. What is circular motion and how is it different from linear motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. In linear motion, the object moves in a straight line, whereas in circular motion, the object moves along a curved path. Additionally, in circular motion, the object is constantly changing its direction and therefore, its velocity, while in linear motion, the object can maintain a constant velocity.

4. How can I figure out the point charges in a system?

To figure out the point charges in a system, you can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By measuring the forces between multiple charges in a system, you can determine the individual charges.

5. What is the difference between positive and negative point charges?

A positive point charge has a surplus of protons, while a negative point charge has a deficit of protons. In terms of their behavior in a system, positive charges repel each other, negative charges repel each other, and positive and negative charges attract each other. In the context of electricity, positive charges are associated with higher potential energy, while negative charges are associated with lower potential energy.