How can the drift velocity and voltage be determined for two different samples?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two samples, one of pure Na and one of InSb, and determining the hall voltage when a current of 100mA is sent through them with a magnetic field of B = 0.1T. The samples are dimensioned at 5x1x5mm and the current is sent in through the 5x1 side and out the opposite side. The conversation also mentions the equation F = 0 = q(E+vxB) and the variables needed to solve for the drift velocity, which include E and v. The speaker also mentions previous information given about efficient masses in a previous part of the assignment. Finally, the conversation concludes with a calculation involving current, area, and
Larsson
Not sure if this should be in this forum, but let's try.

The problem is about 2 samples. One pure Na and one InSb.
I want to determine the hall voltage when we send a current of 100mA trough the samples and the magnetic field is B = 0.1T. The samples are dimensioned "squared" 5x1x5mm. We send our current into the 5x1 side and out at the opposit side.

I start with stating F = 0 = q(E +v x B)
Here I have everything except for the E that I want to find, and v, the driftvelocity of the electrons. How am I supposed to find my v with the information given? Would appreciate if you could show the calulations eventough it's not populair here, having my test soon.

this is part b of an assignment. In the a part they give m_e* = 0.015m_0 and m_h* = 0.18m_0. Where * means the efficient mass. Dont really think that's needed in the b part, but just to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind
J = N_e *(-e) * v_d
J = I/A
I/A = N_e *(-e) * v_d
v_d = I/(A*N_e*(-e))

1. What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity is the average velocity of charged particles, such as electrons, as they move through a conductor under the influence of an electric field.

2. How is drift velocity related to voltage?

Drift velocity is directly proportional to voltage. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in drift velocity, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect drift velocity?

The factors that affect drift velocity include the strength of the electric field, the type and number of charge carriers, and the properties of the material the particles are moving through.

4. How is drift velocity measured?

Drift velocity can be measured using various techniques, such as time-of-flight measurements or Hall effect measurements. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for particles to travel a known distance or the deflection of particles in a magnetic field, respectively.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding drift velocity and voltage?

Understanding drift velocity and voltage is important in the design and function of electronic devices, such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. This knowledge also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as semiconductors and solar cells.