Slope from the Graph of Difference Quotients

In summary, the speaker has 12 data points divided into three sets and has created three cubic polynomials of exact fit. They are now trying to find the difference quotients and graph them to determine where the slope is greatest. They are using a value of h=0.1 for the difference quotient and are struggling to understand how to find the slope when the difference quotient is quadratic. After some reflection, they were able to figure it out.
veravarya

Homework Statement

I have 12 x,y data points (x is distance, y is elevation) divided into three groups (sets). From those three sets, I created 3 cubic polynomials of exact fit, and now I am supposed to find their difference quotients, graph the difference quotients, and use the graph to figure out where the slope is greatest. h is supposed to equal 0.1 so that it's small enough to be almost tangent instead of secant (0.1 is small compared to the data I'm working with, which is in the thousands). I figured out the three difference quotients, but they are all quadratic functions and I don't know how to figure out the slope of those and I don't know understand what the graph should look like.

Homework Equations

difference quotient [itex]= \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}[/itex]
generic cubic polynomial [itex]= ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d[/itex]
diff. quot. from gen. cub. poly. [itex]= ah^2 + 3ax^2 + 3ahx +2bx + bh + c[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the X (distance) data points as inputs into their difference quotient equations and got their respective Y-values, but the scatter plot I made just looks like three different sharp U-shaped pieces. I usually have a very good grasp of things like this but I just don't understand what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
More Specifically...

In summary, I really need someone to tell me this:

How do I find the numerical rate of a difference quotient that is quadratic?

Solved!

After pondering about it for a while and letting my subconscious consider it for a couple hours while I did other things, my brain figured it out on its own. Amazing. I get it now. :smile:

1. What is a difference quotient?

A difference quotient is a mathematical expression that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the difference between the values of the function at two points and dividing it by the difference in the x-values of those points.

2. How is slope related to the difference quotient?

Slope is the measure of the steepness of a line, which is also equivalent to the difference quotient of a linear function. The slope of a line can be calculated by finding the difference quotient of the function at any two points on the line.

3. Can the difference quotient be used to find the slope of a non-linear function?

Yes, the difference quotient can be used to find the slope of any function, not just linear functions. However, the slope of a non-linear function is not constant and can vary at different points on the graph.

4. How is the difference quotient represented graphically?

The difference quotient is represented as a slope or a tangent line on a graph. It can also be represented as the average rate of change between two points on a graph.

5. What is the significance of finding the slope from the graph of difference quotients?

Finding the slope from the graph of difference quotients allows us to understand the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It also helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its future values.