Finding V-I Characteristic of Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with known values for X and resistors R1-R6, and the goal of finding the V-I characteristic for the circuit. The conversation includes discussions about the purpose of a ground in the circuit and concerns about the accuracy or completeness of the circuit diagram. The conversation ends with a clarification of the original question and a request for more information.
abeltyukov
Hi,

I have the following circuit: http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/ProblemSet3Circuit1.png"

Also, the following is known:
X=60 V
R1= 10 Ω
R2= 20 Ω
R3= 10 Ω
R4=5 Ω
R5=20 Ω
R6 = 5 Ω

How do I go about finding a V-I characteristic of this circuit? I know that the slope of the graph is the resistance but I am confused as to how to start this one. I found the resistance across the source by using circuit reduction. I got that to be 32 ohms. So is the V-I characteristic just V = 32i? or is it just a constant line y = 60? (in this case V is on the y-axis and I is on the x-axis)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean find the V-I characteristic? Your battery supply is 60V and you already can solve for V and I.

Corneo said:
What exactly do you mean find the V-I characteristic? Your battery supply is 60V and you already can solve for V and I.

If you vary the voltage V, what is the variation of the current I?
The question was also posed at the homework forum, so it should be deleted from this forum.

Is something missing or perhaps drawn incorrectly? The problem looks odd and I can't figure out the purpose of that ground (just something to throw you off?).

TVP45 said:
Is something missing or perhaps drawn incorrectly? The problem looks odd and I can't figure out the purpose of that ground (just something to throw you off?).

The ground has no meaning at all, since the input V is taken across R5.

Well, I think I agree that the ground has no meaning, but why is it there? Is this just supposed to be tricky? And, why the very strange configuration of R1, R3, and X? Again, is this just tricky, or is something missing?

TVP45 said:
Well, I think I agree that the ground has no meaning, but why is it there? Is this just supposed to be tricky? And, why the very strange configuration of R1, R3, and X? Again, is this just tricky, or is something missing?
R1, X and R3 are in series (forget the ground), so you can draw the characteristic of this sub circuit (call it I).
I is in parallel with R3 and you can draw the characteristic of this new sub circuit (call it II).
II is in series with R4 and R6 (call this sub circuit III).
Finally III is in parallel with R5.

CEL said:
R1, X and R3 are in series (forget the ground), so you can draw the characteristic of this sub circuit (call it I).
I is in parallel with R3 and you can draw the characteristic of this new sub circuit (call it II).
II is in series with R4 and R6 (call this sub circuit III).
Finally III is in parallel with R5.

I know how to do circuit analysis; that wasn't my question.

TVP45 said:
I know how to do circuit analysis; that wasn't my question.

What is your question then?

My question was: Is something missing from the sketch? I don't want to be too specific or linger too much on this since we've perhaps lost the OP - no attempt at work yet. I'll send you my comments by private message and get off this thread.

What is a V-I characteristic of a circuit?

A V-I characteristic of a circuit is a graphical representation of the relationship between the voltage (V) and current (I) in a circuit. It shows how the current changes in response to varying voltage levels.

How do you find the V-I characteristic of a circuit?

The V-I characteristic of a circuit can be found by conducting a series of experiments where the voltage is varied and the corresponding current is measured. These data points can then be plotted on a graph to create the V-I characteristic curve.

Why is it important to find the V-I characteristic of a circuit?

The V-I characteristic of a circuit is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the circuit and how it responds to changes in voltage. It also allows us to determine the operating conditions of the circuit and identify any potential problems or limitations.

What factors can affect the V-I characteristic of a circuit?

The V-I characteristic of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the type of components used, the temperature, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of power source. These factors can cause the curve to shift or change shape.

How is the V-I characteristic of a circuit used in practical applications?

The V-I characteristic of a circuit is used in practical applications to design and analyze electronic circuits. It is also used to troubleshoot and diagnose problems in circuits, and to predict the behavior of a circuit under different operating conditions.