Calculating Solar Energy Needed for $1000 Worth of Electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of how much energy the sun needs to provide in order to produce $1000.00 worth of energy with a solar-cell installation that has a 15.5% conversion rate and delivers 1.0kW of power. The solution involves converting kilowatt hours to joules and the final answer is approximately 8.1x10^4kW/hr or 2.9x10^11J.
tkkid12
Electricity Cost Help me :(

Homework Statement

A solar-cell installation that can convert 15.5% of the sun's energy into electricity has been built. The device delivers 1.0kW of power. If it produces energy at a cost of $0.080/kw*h, how much energy must the sun provide to produce $1000.00 worth of energy.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

? = energy

given: cost of energy = $0.080/kw*h
cost = $1000

equation:

$1000.00 = (energy)($0.080/kw*h)

Sun's Energy = 12.500kwH

I don't know how to do this! Help Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you got it right; 12.500/12,500kWh of energy.

the teacher gives us the answer.

It Is:

8.1*10^4kw*hr
=2.9*10^11 J

I i need help trying to get there.

Hrm, 81,000 kW/hr as the answer? Well, either way you need to convert to joules, which I'm guessing the 'relevant equations' section gives you what you need to do. Assuming you were the one that put the question marks, and your sheet doesn't actually say that...

Oh, right, you need to divide the 12,500 by 15.5% (meaning divide by 0.155), which gives 80,645kW/hr, or 8.1x10^4kW/hr.

For converting from kilowatt hours to joules;

1kW/hr = (1 kW)(1 hour) = (1000 J/s)(3600 s) = 3.6x10^6J.

So basically multiply kilowatts by 3.6x10^6 and it'll give you joules.

1. What factors affect electricity costs?

Electricity costs are affected by several factors such as the type of energy source, geographic location, market competition, and government regulations. Additionally, individual consumption habits and the efficiency of appliances and devices can also impact electricity costs.

2. How can I reduce my electricity costs?

To reduce electricity costs, you can try to minimize your energy usage by turning off lights and unplugging devices when not in use. You can also switch to energy-efficient appliances and consider renewable energy sources such as solar panels. It is also helpful to compare electricity rates from different providers and choose the most cost-effective option.

3. What is the average cost of electricity in my area?

The average cost of electricity varies depending on your location and can be affected by factors such as supply and demand, infrastructure, and government policies. You can check with your local utility provider or use online resources to get an estimate of the average cost of electricity in your area.

4. How can I calculate my electricity costs?

To calculate your electricity costs, you can multiply the number of kilowatt-hours (kWh) you use in a month by the rate per kWh charged by your utility provider. This will give you an estimate of your monthly electricity costs. You can also use online calculators or your utility bill to track your electricity usage and costs.

5. Can I get financial assistance for my electricity costs?

There are various programs and initiatives available that provide financial assistance for electricity costs, particularly for low-income households. You can contact your local utility provider or government agencies to inquire about eligibility and application processes for these programs.