Proving Limit Exists: How to Show w/o Delta Epsilon Method

• Thread starter CathyC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of the function [(x^2)(y^2)] / [x^4 + y^2] as (x,y) approaches (0,0) is 0, as proven by using algebraic manipulation and the properties of positive numbers. This is a valid method for proving the existence or non-existence of a limit, and does not rely on the use of delta-epsilon methods.
CathyC

Homework Statement

How can I show that the limit exists (or doesn't exist) for this function and prove it? I can't think of a function that will sandwich it to show it's 0 or a way to set x and y to make the limit not equal to zero! (oh and I'm trying to do all this without the use of delta epsilon methods!)

Thank you for all your help!

Homework Equations

lim as (x,y) goes to (0,0) for the function:
[(X^2)(Y^2)] / [X^4 + Y^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried looking at the limit by setting x and then y to zero and moving along each axis, which gives a limit of zero. So does using y=mx and approaching from a straight line. I've tried a couple of non-linear substitutions for y or x but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I guess that everything points to a limit of zero, but my problem is that you can only PROVE something does not have a limit by using the above methods and to PROVE that something has a specific limit then I believe that you require the sandwich rule and use 0 as the lower bound. Can anyone please help me with a function to use in the sandwich rule for this question?

Thanks for your help guys! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
… try polar coordinates …

Hi CathyC! :smile:

Hint: with x^2 and y^2, and being interested in (0,0), the obvious trick would be to try putting x = r.costheta, y = rsintheta.

Does that help? :smile:

Can you give me a bigger hint then that? I've always been terrible at trig. I tried looking at sin(2theta)=2(sintheta)(costheta) and playing around with that but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere as theta can be anything.

Forget polar coordinates (they do work, but …).

I just did a little logical thinking, and came up with:

divide top and bottom by (x^2)(y^2), to give:

1/[1/(x^2) + x^2/y^2];

and then the bottom … ? :smile:

Sorry, I still can't work it out :'( took some time to play around with it, but I still can't see it. It takes me a long time to see the obvious with trig.

There is not a whole lot of trig involved here- just algebra. There is certainly no reason to worry about trig identities like sin(2[itex]\theta[/itex]). You have
[tex]\frac{X^2Y^2}{X^4 + Y^2}[/tex]

If [itex]X= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]Y= r sin(\theta)[/itex], what is X2? What is Y2? What is X4?

The crucial point here is that (X,Y) going to (0,0) means that r goes to 0- no matter what [itex]\theta[/itex] is. Is the limit, as r goes to 0, independent of [itex]\theta[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:

ok, 1/[1/(x^2) + x^2/y^2];

we want to prove that this -> 0,

Now, the bottom is the sum of two squares, so they're obviously both positive.

So 1/[1/(x^2) + x^2/y^2] < 1/[1/(x^2)].

So, for any epsilon, choose (x^2 + y^2) < epsilon;

then |1/[1/(x^2) + x^2/y^2]| = 1/[1/(x^2) + x^2/y^2] < 1/[1/(x^2)] = x^2 < epsilon. :smile:

(in trig, that would be 1/[1/r^2cos^) + cot^] < 1/[1/r^2cos^)] = r^2cos^ < r^2)

1. What is the Delta-Epsilon method?

The Delta-Epsilon method, also known as the epsilon-delta method, is a mathematical technique used to prove the existence of a limit for a function. It involves finding a relationship between the distance between two points on a graph (delta) and the corresponding difference in the function values (epsilon).

2. Why is proving limit existence important?

Proving the existence of a limit is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point or as the input approaches a certain value. This information is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering.

3. Can I use other methods besides the Delta-Epsilon method to prove limit existence?

Yes, there are other techniques that can be used to prove the existence of a limit, such as the squeeze theorem, the pinching theorem, and the Cauchy criterion. However, the Delta-Epsilon method is one of the most commonly used methods and is often required in mathematical proofs.

4. What are some common challenges when using the Delta-Epsilon method?

One of the main challenges when using the Delta-Epsilon method is finding the appropriate values for delta and epsilon that satisfy the definition of a limit. This can be especially difficult for more complex functions, and often requires a lot of algebraic manipulation and trial and error.

5. Are there any tips for successfully using the Delta-Epsilon method?

Yes, here are a few tips for using the Delta-Epsilon method effectively:

• Start by understanding the definition of a limit and the basic concepts of the Delta-Epsilon method.
  • Draw a graph of the function to visualize the behavior near the point in question.
  • Work backwards by starting with the desired epsilon value and finding the corresponding delta value.
  • Use algebraic manipulation and inequalities to simplify the expression and find the appropriate values for delta and epsilon.
  • Practice and patience are key to mastering this method.