Why three generations of particles

• Thread starter LongOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, string theory aims to provide a rational explanation for why there are three generations of particles, but it is not easy. Specific models have been published which suggest that it is necessary to eliminate gauge anomalies in order to avoid nonsense. Additionally, three generations are needed in order to eliminate triangle anomalies in physics.
LongOne
Hi,
I'm curious as to what the most prevalent theories are as to why there are three generations of particles. I've roamed around the Internet but haven't found anything that speculates on this.

If you can point me to an article or document, that would be great!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
LongOne said:
Generally speaking, I think string theory aims at providing a rational explanations behind this number of generation. It is not easy though. Specific models have been published :

Number of Generations in Free Fermionic String Models
Local models of Gauge Mediated Supersymmetry Breaking in String Theory
The Standard Model in String Theory from D-branes
but as for "why ?" those should be singled out is not yet answered.

The TASI 2004 Lectures on the Phenomenology of Extra Dimensions give a fairly general presentation.

By the same token, non-commutative geometry also takes this number 3 as an input.

Finally, let me cite this Schematic model of generations

It might as well be that the question is no more relevant than "why 9 planets around the Sun ?" (yes, nowadays we would ask 8, but we don't ask the question anymore anyway :rolleyes:)

If I understand correctly, the number of generation is also constrained by anomaly cancellation in the standard model :
Number of Fermion Generations Derived from Anomaly Cancellation

LongOne said:
Hi,
I'm curious as to what the most prevalent theories are as to why there are three generations of particles. I've roamed around the Internet but haven't found anything that speculates on this.

Thanks.

No one can say at the moment why there Must be three, but there is good evidence that there are no more than three within the framework of basic QFT. For instance, the width of the Z boson measurement is sensitive to the number of generations, and experiments agree with only three generations (a fourth generation would increase the width more than is observed--see Peskin and Schroeder's "Intro to QFT"). I hope I'm not mistaken because I don't have the book in front of me, but it seems that three generations were also necessary to eliminate gauge anomalies (if the anomalies didn't cancel QFT would be nonsense).

alphanzo said:
For instance, the width of the Z boson measurement is sensitive to the number of generations, and experiments agree with only three generations (a fourth generation would increase the width more than is observed--see Peskin and Schroeder's "Intro to QFT").

Strictly speaking, the Z boson width is sensitive to the number of light neutrinos. A 4th generation with a neutrino weighing more than 45 GeV is a logical possibility. (There are other difficulties, but this particular one can be evaded)

alphanzo said:
I hope I'm not mistaken because I don't have the book in front of me, but it seems that three generations were also necessary to eliminate gauge anomalies (if the anomalies didn't cancel QFT would be nonsense).

I assume you are talking about triangle anomalies? They cancel generation-by-generation.

Bah, of course. I remembered the number three and that it all seemed miraculous somehow. Yes, the quarks cancel the lepton anomalies. I should really start looking these things up before I type. I thought that the 45 GeV neutrino had been ruled out...

humanino said:
Hi
Generally speaking, I think string theory aims at providing a rational explanations behind this number of generation. It is not easy though. Specific models have been published :

Number of Generations in Free Fermionic String Models
Local models of Gauge Mediated Supersymmetry Breaking in String Theory
The Standard Model in String Theory from D-branes
but as for "why ?" those should be singled out is not yet answered.

The TASI 2004 Lectures on the Phenomenology of Extra Dimensions give a fairly general presentation.

By the same token, non-commutative geometry also takes this number 3 as an input.

Finally, let me cite this Schematic model of generations

It might as well be that the question is no more relevant than "why 9 planets around the Sun ?" (yes, nowadays we would ask 8, but we don't ask the question anymore anyway :rolleyes:)

If I understand correctly, the number of generation is also constrained by anomaly cancellation in the standard model :
Number of Fermion Generations Derived from Anomaly Cancellation

Thanks very much.

If CP where a need of Nature, then you could argue for three generations in order to have CP, could you?

Also, 3 generations are needed in my model of sBootstrap, which could vindicate superstring theory while killing it :-D

There are no reasons that why only three-generation fernions exit. But if more element feimions exist, they will lead to inconsistency with the konwn experimental results and severe ultra-divergence.

wlln said:
There are no reasons that why only three-generation fernions exit. But if more element feimions exist, they will lead to inconsistency with the konwn experimental results and severe ultra-divergence.

Not true. A heavy and almost degenerate 4th generation is compatible with the existing data. Granted, the fit is better with 3 generations than 4, but 4 can be made to work.

Vanadium 50 said:
Not true. A heavy and almost degenerate 4th generation is compatible with the existing data. Granted, the fit is better with 3 generations than 4, but 4 can be made to work.

But if there was the fourth elment fermion, the SM could avoid the pertubative anomoly?

Which anomaly? Triangle anomalies cancel generation-by-generation.

Vanadium 50 said:
Which anomaly? Triangle anomalies cancel generation-by-generation.

He refers to the previously mentioned paper of Poppitz and Dobrevscu.

arivero said:
He refers to the previously mentioned paper of Poppitz and Dobrevscu.

But that is a Beyond the Standard Model paper. Specifically, it relies on universal extra dimensions.

Vanadium 50 said:
But that is a Beyond the Standard Model paper. Specifically, it relies on universal extra dimensions.
I don't think any 4D SM anomaly cancellation can constrain the number of generations.

Three generations fits nicely into Exception group 8, one of string theories fav groups, and
the group that Lisi Garret use for his ToE, <A HREF="https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=196498">ESToE</A>.
Basicly E8 breaks to three copies of E6 and anti-E6, three generations of particles and
anti-particles, With the E6 ajoint group, left over to form the forces acting
equally on each generation.

E8 (248) -> 8? + E6_a (78) + 3E6 (3*27) + 3 anti-E6 (3*27)

So if E8 is the GUT group, generations pops out quite simply. Of course then you have
to fit the standard model into E6, which does go, but has room for 12 particles left over.

Vanadium 50 said:

Right. He did not read beyond the abstract, it seems...

Really, I think the only 4D argument in the arena is CP violation.

But again, the mass of the top... it should be a clue. Damn, it is! it implies that all there are not "top-antiany" mesons, that the "bottomium" is the end of the ladder, and that then the number of mesons and diquarks classified under SU(3)xU(1) coincides again with the number of leptons and quarks.

I keep telling that it seems a clue, but nobody appreciates it :mad: You need exactly three generations if you want to get this coincidence. A remarkable detail... which does not get a footnote anywhere. And it has been behind our noses for more than ten years now.

Last edited:

1. Why are there three generations of particles?

The existence of three generations of particles is a fundamental aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics. This model is based on the idea that all matter is composed of particles called fermions, which can be divided into two categories: quarks and leptons. Each category is further divided into three generations, with each generation containing two particles. The reason for this structure is still not fully understood, but it is thought to be related to the way particles acquire mass through interactions with the Higgs field.

2. How do the three generations of particles differ?

Each generation of particles is identical in terms of their properties, such as mass and charge. However, they differ in terms of their mass, with each successive generation having a higher mass than the previous one. For example, the second generation particles have approximately 170 times the mass of the first generation particles, and the third generation particles have even higher masses. Additionally, the particles in each generation have different stability, with the first generation particles being the most stable and the third generation particles being the least stable.

3. Can particles from different generations interact with each other?

Yes, particles from different generations can interact with each other through the fundamental forces of nature, such as the strong nuclear force and the electromagnetic force. However, these interactions are typically very weak, and particles from different generations tend to interact only through the weak nuclear force. This is because the weak force is responsible for changing one type of particle into another, and it is the only force that can cause particles from different generations to transform into each other.

4. How were the three generations of particles discovered?

The three generations of particles were discovered through experiments conducted by particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. By colliding particles at high energies, physicists were able to observe the different particles produced and their properties. The first generation particles were discovered in the early 20th century, while the second and third generation particles were discovered in the 1970s and 1980s, respectively.

5. Is there a limit to the number of generations of particles?

Currently, the Standard Model predicts the existence of only three generations of particles. However, some theories, such as supersymmetry, propose the existence of additional generations of particles. These theories are still being studied and tested, and there is currently no conclusive evidence for the existence of more than three generations of particles.