Looking for explains for procedures in DNA extraction

In summary: The kits can be more complicated or less complicated, depending on the type of DNA that you're extracting. For tissue DNA extraction, QIAGEN sells a variety of different kits, each with its own buffer and step sequence.
theow
Hi there,
I tried Google and seems that there's not much information around.
I'm thinking what are the use of Buffer ATL, AL, AW1, AW2 and AE, and ethanol added to the sample.
Anyone can help? I'd appreciate even if you post me any reference links:approve:
Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Are those terms you've listed the names of reagents in a kit?

If you're doing a column separation, generally, you're getting your DNA and other impurities into a solution, prepping the column with the buffer so it's ready for the solution containing DNA, running the DNA solution through the substrate in the column, then washing the column with another solution that releases the DNA from the substrate and let's it pass into your collection vessel. The ethanol let's you precipitate the DNA so you can then dry it as purified DNA.

I may have missed some steps since it's been ages since I've attempted DNA extraction (others here have much more experience with this), and I've been really general, because I've always just used kits for it, and every brand has its own proprietary solutions to use with it, which have whatever names they gave them. Of course it's good to understand the general concept so you know why each step in the kit is important and when to panic or where you could recover a lost sample.

Indeed, you need to provide the protocol and/or the buffer compositions to get an answer. There are a lot of different protocols and kits.

However, I happen to know that these buffers are from QIAGEN kits for tissue DNA extraction. Now for an answer I would like you to read the manual first and then ask more specifically.

Small hint. The usual procedure for DNA extraction (on columns) are:

Cell lysis and debris removal

adsorption of DNA to column under specific conditions (I think it was high salt in QIAGEN columns)

washing to remove unspecifically bound substrates, including DNA binding proteins
elution of DNA (under low salt conditions)

sometimes precipitation and washing of DNA (to remove salts)

Now think in which order you used the buffers.

I'm doing some this exact procedure now, so I've been happy to read the responses. But, I've noticed that some kits are much more complicated than others- my mRNA extraction kit (cell suspension) involves a small table-top centrifuge and takes 1 hour (if that), my miniprep (plasmid extraction from E. Coli) is also quick and simple, but my MaxiPrep kit (a scaled-up miniprep, as far as I can tell), involves quite a bit of equipment (chilled ultracentrifuge, for example), and a lot more buffer solutions.

What's up with that?

1. What is the purpose of DNA extraction?

The purpose of DNA extraction is to isolate and purify DNA from a sample for further analysis or use in various scientific procedures. This can include studying genetic information, diagnosing diseases, and creating genetically modified organisms.

2. How is DNA extracted from a sample?

DNA extraction involves several steps, including breaking open the cells in the sample, separating the DNA from other cellular components, and purifying the DNA. This can be achieved using various methods such as chemical extraction, mechanical disruption, or enzymatic digestion.

3. What materials are needed for DNA extraction?

The materials needed for DNA extraction vary depending on the method used, but generally include a sample containing DNA, a lysis buffer to break open cells, enzymes or chemicals to remove unwanted cellular components, and a method for purifying the DNA such as a spin column or precipitation.

4. How long does DNA extraction take?

The length of time it takes to extract DNA can vary depending on the type of sample, the method used, and the amount of DNA needed. In general, DNA extraction can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours.

5. What are the potential challenges in DNA extraction?

Some potential challenges in DNA extraction include low DNA yield, contamination from other substances, and degradation of the DNA. These challenges can be overcome by carefully following protocols, optimizing methods, and using quality control measures.