How will LHC know the Higgs when they see it?

• Thread starter poeteye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Higgs Lhc
In summary, the conversation discusses how the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) will know if it has been wrong about the Higgs field and what may happen next. The best or worst case scenario would be if no new signal is detected around mass 120-170GeV/c^2, indicating that another model may be the correct explanation. The conversation also mentions the possibility of detecting the Higgs boson through H \rightarrow \mu^+\mu^-\mu^+\mu^- and the excitement of discovering a new particle at CERN.
poeteye
How will LHC know the Higgs when they "see" it?

Amid the petabytes of information about to stream forth from Europe, how will Physics know if it has been wrong about the Higgs field and what may prove the premise? What's the best or worst case scenario, and what comes next?

Physics news on Phys.org

If they don't see a new signal at all around mass 120-170GeV/c^2 or anything new at all.

Or do you want to know more about "how to detect" the higgs? like:
[tex] H \rightarrow \mu^+\mu^-\mu^+\mu^- [/tex]

From John Conway's blog:

http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/11/06/higgs-101/

If we don’t see a Higgs boson (SM-like or supersymmetric) with mass less than about 130 GeV, things will get very interesting - it’s almost a certainty then that some other model is the correct explanation.

http://cosmicvariance.com/2007/01/26/bump-hunting-part-1/

So there I was, on a Saturday morning in December, at CERN as it so happened, when I saw the graph we’d been working towards all year. At first I thought it was some mistake - the hair literally rose up on the back of my neck, and I said: “Holy crap! What’s that?”

1. How will the LHC detect the Higgs boson?

The LHC will detect the Higgs boson by smashing particles together at high speeds and looking for the energy signature that is predicted to be produced by the Higgs boson.

2. What is the energy signature of the Higgs boson?

The energy signature of the Higgs boson is a distinct peak in the data, representing the decay products of the Higgs boson. This peak is predicted to occur at a specific energy level, which scientists will be able to identify.

3. How will scientists differentiate the Higgs boson from other particles?

Scientists will use the distinct energy signature and other characteristics of the Higgs boson, such as its decay products and spin, to differentiate it from other particles that may be produced in the collisions at the LHC.

4. What are the challenges in identifying the Higgs boson at the LHC?

The main challenge in identifying the Higgs boson at the LHC is the large amount of data that is produced. Scientists must sift through vast amounts of data to find the energy signature and other characteristics that are unique to the Higgs boson.

5. How long will it take for the LHC to confirm the existence of the Higgs boson?

It took the LHC about two years to collect enough data to confirm the existence of the Higgs boson in 2012. However, the LHC continues to collect data and scientists are always refining their methods, so it is possible that further evidence for the Higgs boson may be found in the future.