Velocity/Acceleration/displacement Help

• Thread starter austin1250
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the distance traveled during a braking period, using knowledge of acceleration and velocity. The solution involves using equations to find the unknown time and then using a formula to calculate the distance traveled. The concept of acceleration and its importance in solving the problem is also mentioned.
austin1250

Homework Statement

I need help with acceleration/displacment, mainly how far something moves during a acceleratopn period

Homework Equations

Alright, right now i am learning about velocity and acceletarion and i have a question/problem i need help with.

I know the formula for acceleration and stuff, but how do you find out how far the an object. in this case a car moved during the breaking period?

This is the exact question:
A driver of a car traveling at 15 m/s applies the breaks, causing a uniform acceleration of -2.0 m/s^2. how long does it take the car to accelerate to a final speed of 10.0 m/s? How far has the car moved druing the breaking period?

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Physics news on Phys.org
austin1250 said:

Homework Statement

I need help with acceleration/displacment, mainly how far something moves during a acceleratopn period

Homework Equations

Alright, right now i am learning about velocity and acceletarion and i have a question/problem i need help with.

I know the formula for acceleration and stuff, but how do you find out how far the an object. in this case a car moved during the breaking period?

This is the exact question:
A driver of a car traveling at 15 m/s applies the breaks, causing a uniform acceleration of -2.0 m/s^2. how long does it take the car to accelerate to a final speed of 10.0 m/s? How far has the car moved druing the breaking period?

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Here are some equations that might help:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015

You know a and V and want to find t. And then you want to find X.

LowlyPion said:
Here are some equations that might help:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015

You know a and V and want to find t. And then you want to find X.

Ah I see. then does accelaration even matter?
Can't you just do Change in velocity Times change in time?

austin1250 said:
Ah I see. then does accelaration even matter?
Can't you just do Change in velocity Times change in time?

Of course acceleration matters. When you don't have the time as in this problem you need the acceleration to determine the unknown time. Now for this question they also ask what the distance is and that can be found from a formula for known velocities and acceleration.

yeah that's what i meant, i got the first part i needed help with how far/distance it traveld after it accelerated. but yeah i get it now thanks

What is velocity?

Velocity is a physical quantity that describes the speed and direction of an object's motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is also a vector quantity, and can be positive (speeding up) or negative (slowing down).

How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in displacement (position) by the change in time. It can also be found by taking the derivative of the displacement function.

What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they actually have different meanings. Speed is a scalar quantity that only describes the magnitude of an object's motion, whereas velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

How does displacement differ from distance?

Displacement and distance are both measures of how far an object has traveled, but displacement is the straight line distance between the starting and ending points, while distance is the total length of the path traveled.