Inclined plane + Inclined force. Normal reaction force = ?

In summary: Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the normal reaction force and tension in a string for an object on an inclined plane. The conditions for equilibrium are mentioned and the method of resolving forces is used to solve for both the tension and normal reaction force. The conversation also includes some confusion about the weight force and a proposed logic for solving the problem.
1337pHysiX
ok I'm desperate now lol n this is my first time on PF.

I've just had an exam and I'm sure i got this question wrong. But i'd like to know:

the normal reaction force and the tension/Force F.

The question is: There is this object that has a weight of 20N. It is on an inclined plane that is 30 degrees and it is held by a force 30 degrees to the plane. Determine the normal reaction force and the tension in the string.

Please give me as much relevant working as possible. Thank you for your help!

I have attached the diagram/question.

Attachments

• Inclined Plane.png
    Inclined Plane.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done and where you got stuck.

Hint: What are the conditions for equilibrium?

ok.

Resolving forces, I've figured that the tension/Force F = (20/3)*sqrt3 Newtons

now...i'm not sure wat the normal reaction force is. My friends are telling me that it's Normal Reaction + Tension - Weight Force = 0...but wat's the weight force then. lol

The only logic that i can conclude from this is that:
Normal Reaction force + all vertical components above plane = sum of all vertical components under plane, which kinda makes sense to me n is getting me the right answers right now.

well looking forward to ur reply =]

1337pHysiX said:
Resolving forces, I've figured that the tension/Force F = (20/3)*sqrt3 Newtons
Good! The way you solved for this was to add up all horizontal force components (parallel to the plane) and set them equal to zero. Do the same for vertical force components (perpendicular to the plane) to find the normal force.

now...i'm not sure wat the normal reaction force is. My friends are telling me that it's Normal Reaction + Tension - Weight Force = 0...but wat's the weight force then. lol
That's true, but you need to use the vertical components of those forces.

The only logic that i can conclude from this is that:
Normal Reaction force + all vertical components above plane = sum of all vertical components under plane, which kinda makes sense to me n is getting me the right answers right now.
Sounds good to me.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is positioned at an angle, rather than horizontally. It is often used to make it easier to move objects to a higher or lower elevation, as it reduces the amount of force needed to move the object.

2. What is inclined force?

Inclined force refers to the force that is applied to an object on an inclined plane, in order to move it up or down the slope. This force is typically applied parallel to the slope of the inclined plane.

3. What is normal reaction force?

Normal reaction force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force applied by the object.

4. How is normal reaction force related to inclined plane and inclined force?

In the context of an inclined plane and inclined force, normal reaction force is the force exerted by the inclined plane on the object. It is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the component of the object's weight that is perpendicular to the plane.

5. What is the relationship between inclined plane, inclined force, and normal reaction force?

The relationship between these three factors can be described by the equation Fsinθ = mgcosθ, where F is the inclined force, θ is the angle of inclination, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation shows that as the angle of inclination increases, the inclined force required to move the object also increases, while the normal reaction force decreases.