Help in switching from physics to math

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Differential geometry is similar to physics, in that it is related to GR. However, the emphasis is different. In physics, the emphasis is on understanding how the world works, while in geometry, the emphasis is more on the mathematics itself. Mathematical physics is more theoretical, while physical physics is more empirical. But that doesn't mean that mathematicians can't be physicists, and physicists can't be mathematicians. Math is more general than physics, so there is more opportunity to do research in it.
quasar_4
So, as I kind of expected, after not studying much for the physics subject GRE I did very badly, ~20th percentile. I'm still applying to some schools, but with limited hope. I now have to decide - I can do a year-long MS in physics or math, then retake the subject GRE. I'm thinking about changing to math (not sure yet), because I'm slightly better at it, but have some questions:

1) will it hurt to have bombed the physics GRE if I do okay on the math GRE in a year? or, since it was physics, will it not really matter at all?
2) how different is mathematical physics for a mathematician than it is for a physicist? I was planning to to gravitational physics, but it's specifically the math in GR that excites and drives me, so I am pretty sure I'd be happy doing math. But I'm not sure how different the emphasis is, and also, all my research has been more from the physics side, so I'm not sure what research in math is like or if I'd be good at it. I think I can handle math classes; I have taken some graduate math classes as an undergrad and immensely enjoyed them.

And also, I don't need any responses telling me to give up because I'm not smart enough. There is a tendency for people to do that on these forums. I am quite smart enough, just didn't spend the time necessary to prepare. (And I hadn't taken several core classes when I took the physics GRE, so I think that's part of the score as well).

Physics news on Phys.org
A few questions for you! What kind of math have you taken? And what kind of math are you interested in? (I don't know much... well hardly any physics so "math in GR" means nothing to me ;) )

Let's see, in terms of upper div. courses (you know, past all the requirements for calculus, linear algebra, ODEs, etc.), I have had:

Undergraduate level -

Differential Geometry - A
Abstract Algebra- A
Modern Algebra (Groups + Galois theory) - A
Linear Algebra - A
Intro. Analysis - B
Real Analysis I - still waiting, but I think an A- or B+.

Graduate level -

Differential Geometry - taking this spring
Multilinear Algebra and Representation Theory - A

I also got an A in a physics class this semester called "Methods of Theoretical Physics" - we covered come topics from complex analysis including Cauchy's integral formula and contour integrals, ODE's (solutions with power series, Green's functions, etc.), PDE's (method of characteristics, sep. of variables, etc.), more linear algebra, special functions (Bessel, Legendre, Hermite, etc.), so at this point I feel like I've been exposed to a lot.

Except Topology, because it hasn't been offered at my school since I declared myself as a math major!

I REALLY love differential geometry and algebra. Basically, linear/abstract algebra and group theory are wonderful, and they appear everywhere. Linear algebra is also a foundation of differential geometry, so maybe that is why I like geometry so much. I love how it relates to things in physics, especially in general relativity (this is what I meant by GR!). I will say that I didn't much enjoy doing Galois theory problems, but the theory is interesting. And we didn't cover much representation theory in my one class (only made it a small way into Fulton & Harris's book, but it was interesting too).

1. How can I make the transition from physics to math smoother?

The best way to make the transition smoother is to familiarize yourself with the fundamental concepts and principles of mathematics. This includes topics such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a math tutor or take introductory math courses to solidify your understanding.

2. Will my knowledge in physics be useful in studying math?

Yes, your knowledge in physics will be useful in studying math. Many concepts in physics, such as vectors, equations, and mathematical modeling, are also used in mathematics. However, it is important to note that math requires a different approach and mindset compared to physics, so be prepared to adapt your thinking accordingly.

3. Are there any specific math courses I should take to prepare for the switch?

It is recommended to take basic math courses, such as algebra, geometry, and calculus, to build a strong foundation before diving into more advanced math topics. You may also want to consider taking courses specifically focused on mathematical proofs and logic, as these skills are essential in higher-level math courses.

4. How can I stay motivated while switching from physics to math?

The key to staying motivated is to set realistic goals and track your progress. Make a study plan and stick to it, and don't be afraid to seek help when needed. It may also be helpful to join study groups or online communities to connect with others who are also making the switch from physics to math.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a background in both physics and math?

With a background in both physics and math, you may have a wide range of career opportunities available to you. Some common options include data analysis, financial analysis, engineering, and research and development. Additionally, having a strong foundation in both fields may make you a competitive candidate for graduate programs in various STEM fields.