Ballentine: QUANTUM MECHANICS A Modern Development

In summary, Ballentine's "QUANTUM MECHANICS: A Modern Development" provides a comprehensive and modern approach to understanding the principles and applications of quantum mechanics. The textbook covers topics such as wave mechanics, matrix mechanics, quantum dynamics, and quantum statistical mechanics. It also includes discussions on the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics and the latest developments in the field. With clear explanations and numerous examples, Ballentine's text is a valuable resource for students and researchers studying this complex and fascinating subject.
birulami
At Amazon the http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/3142.html" does not have a reader's review yet. Anyone here want to comment whether it is worth its money. On their website I read the first few sections and I like the exposition of the mathematical principles. It is closer to the style of a math lesson than a physics lesson, meaning the math is mostly explicit and complete and not the physics style shortcut math found in many books.

Is this style continued in the later chapters? Other comments about the book?

Thanks,
Harald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, seems to be worth the money. (I tried a search for Ballentine, but got too many results. I should have remembered to always search for the title of the thread I want to initiate. It is interesting to see how good these match.)

Harald.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other.

How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of larger objects, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical mechanics follows Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics follows the laws of quantum mechanics, which are probabilistic in nature.

What is the significance of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is significant because it has revolutionized our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature, especially at the microscopic level. It has led to the development of various technologies, including transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

What are some real-life applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many real-life applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, computing, and cryptography. It is also used in medical imaging, nuclear power, and materials science.

Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand because it is based on concepts that are very different from our everyday experiences. It requires a solid understanding of mathematics and a willingness to think in abstract terms. However, with patience and effort, anyone can gain a basic understanding of quantum mechanics.