Quickest route to physics degree

In summary, if you want to study Physics without formally attending a university then you should look into studying at the Open University or studying part-time and attending exams via distance learning.
circulation
hi there

i've just realized that physics is my true calling in life! unfortunately i am 28 and have a steady job. My question is, is there any way to do a physics degree with a decent UK university either part time or by intensive course?

i've got a "A" at A-level to build on, further mathematics A levels and an engineering degree.

many many thanks for any replies..
JS

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not very knowledgeable on this, but have you tried the Open University?

Yes, I've had a look at that but would like to consider all options before settling on one.
Is it possible to self-teach and just link into a course towards the end to sit exams and carry out projects?
Alternatively, are there any research institutions where good opportunities to get involved are available for those without the standard orthodox qualifications?

circulation said:
Yes, I've had a look at that but would like to consider all options before settling on one.
Is it possible to self-teach and just link into a course towards the end to sit exams and carry out projects?
Alternatively, are there any research institutions where good opportunities to get involved are available for those without the standard orthodox qualifications?

No mate, you've got me there. I'm currently doing my degree in Physics and Computer Science through an institution very similar to the UK's Open University and I must admit that I seriously doubt your chances of making a success of studying Physics without guidance. It gets hairy. Furthermore, belonging to some educational institution is sometimes the only motivation to keep going as it helps enforce the discipline required when the going gets tough.

From my personal experience of trying to get involved in anything scientific without the necessary paperwork to back you up, I'd say that the chances of that is also very slight if not zero.

All of this probably sounds very negative, but I do wish to add that, in your position, I'd seriously consider the possibilities of part-time/distance education rather than attempting to "jump the queue" so to speak by trying to skip the formal option.

However, do not take my word for it. This is only my opinion. Sorry I can't be of more help to you :redface:

Also: if you really think physics is your true calling, you'll likely need to pursue a graduate degree. Your chances of getting into a top program will be better if you have experiences that can honestly only be gained through connections at real, live (not-online) institutions... such as advanced lab projects with special equipment and addition research experiences in the research labs of faculty (or during summer at other institutions).

At 28 it's not too late to get into a full-time Uni but the blow to the wallet might be too severe. Don't forget the Uni's will ask for something like AAB at A level to gain entry to a Physics undergraduate programme so if you don't have that it'll take longer. Your best bet would be the Open University where you could still earn a living but study at the same time. I already have a Physics degree from Glasgow and am now studying for a Maths degree through the OU.

Course materials excellent, good choice of subjects and all examinable at the end of the year in 3 hour written tests. It's a well thought of institution and those going on to postgrad don't seem to suffer too much from the experience.

If you need to continue to work and earn then there's really no other way. Good Luck.

What is the quickest route to obtaining a degree in physics?

The quickest route to obtaining a degree in physics is to complete a bachelor's degree in physics in four years. This typically includes taking core physics courses, as well as general education courses.

Can I earn a physics degree online?

Yes, it is possible to earn a physics degree online. Many universities offer online physics programs, allowing students to complete coursework at their own pace. However, it is important to note that some hands-on laboratory courses may need to be completed in person.

Is it possible to earn a physics degree in less than four years?

It is possible, but it is not common for students to earn a physics degree in less than four years. Some accelerated programs may allow students to complete their degree in three years, but this often requires a heavier course load and may limit opportunities for research or internships.

What are the job prospects for those with a physics degree?

Graduates with a degree in physics have a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching positions, and jobs in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science. The demand for individuals with a background in physics is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.

Are there any specific skills or courses that can help me complete a physics degree more quickly?

Taking advanced placement (AP) courses in high school, such as calculus and physics, may allow students to earn college credit and potentially shorten the time it takes to complete a physics degree. Additionally, strong time management and study skills can help students to complete coursework efficiently and graduate in a shorter amount of time.